Which weight loss methods have worked for you?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 9:34 pm

Drink five liter of water a day

Feel full

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 11:56 pm

BTDT wrote:
I weighed 108.5 pounds last night. I went to Target to buy more deeply discounted holiday chocolate but there wasn't anything left worth buying.
Were you always that thin?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 12:12 am

Alita

What was the prize for the competition?

They say that the faster you lose weight, the harder it is to keep off

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 12:16 am

avoiding sugars/starches did it for me all my life, though less so as I grow older.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 10:03 am

It would be a nightmare for me to cook (and clean) every other night even, so I have a method:

Smoothies
mass-blend fruit/vegetable smoothies and with the help of a box freezer, I have a 3 month supply of plant based
nutrition + superfoods (like chiaseed and algea). This is not juicing, I use all of the edible plant material. It'll taste very green if you don't add a generous amount of fruits.

Curry
I have the same process with curry, I make a large batch and it lasts for about 3 to 5 months, I pack it into. One thawed container lasts several days when you add rice and coconut milk. I like to use avacodo oil

The Diet in a day
I've done this for years, I eat the smoothie first thing in the morning, I'll eat a late breakfast somewhere down the line and I won't feel the need to go overboard. I'll have curry for lunch, along with another smoothie. My dinner is usually a couple of peanut butter sandwiches. I'll be hungrier if I'm exercising more, but that's generally what I get by on. I sometimes eat m&ms and blueberry danishes, its a vice, but I still have less junk food overall. I just feel more full.

The Pros
Cheaper than eating out
Its as healthy as you make it
You'll feel full and eat less
It has good water content, and fiber, I get way less ibs thanks to this
Better energy during the day, you'll be less bloated and tired after lunch
You'll free up time you would have spent cooking and cleaning

The Cons
Initial cost is in the hundreds of dollars for all the equipment
You need a flexible palette
You'll need a couple of small box freezers to store everything

I know that is a lot of information, but it has been super effective in keeping me on a healthy diet, It works around all my bad habits.

Exercise is an entirely different aspect, I've been struggling to implement a more steady plan. I'm more than happy to tell you about some good ways to get into it.

Like Fnord says, Diet and Exercise is the key to losing weight, its simple, but the devil is in the details, and I hit those details with a vengeance. My goal is to make it all simple (for me anyway).

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:45 pm

Intermittent fasting on a low carb diet. Dont eat junk food, but dont skimp on the protein. Drink tea or coffee, stay away from juice and soda. Drink lots of water- especially before mealtime. Eat with your non dominant hand. Count your calories- but remember to stay on top of your food groups and nutrients. Dont snack. Exercise more. Lots of cardio. Dont eat before bed. Dont skip breakfast. Dont give up.

Its easy to say "eat less, exercise more" but you have to do it the RIGHT way. If you eat only a few hundred calories but its all processed foods, thats not gonna help you. You can eat more calories if you plan your meals more carefully and have the right exercise routine.

My mom has made me join all sorts of diets with her over the years, and Id say this is probably the best one as well as the healthiest. Just dont set unreasonable goals. I met my goal of dropping back to double digits, but I cant say I always used the best methods. Ive lost weight both in very healthy well planned out ways and in very not healthy ways. Even if the healthy ways take time they're worth it in the end. Hope this helps :heart:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 5:56 pm

Taking metformin (I’m on an antipsychotic), eating on a schedule so I know when to snack and when not to, only one soda a day or none at all, exercise and not obsessing.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2019, 9:29 pm

When I've cycled , done Pilates, and Tai Chi. Having a young body and a fit teacher comes with the territory as well as an active bodily pursuit and mind. If you can envisage the end goal then your half way to success.
There are mild, long and tough workouts. If you believe in the spirit of exercise and have long country lanes and field edges in which to practice, its not too bad, but at my age, inviting over some company, would increase metamorphosis, and ramp up metabolism.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 1:00 am

The classic: Diet & exercise.

Several years ago I dropped 50lbs (235 to 185) in a few months following Bill Phillips' "Body for Life," program. It's a simple read & simply program. Very effective. Eat 5-6 times/day, weights every second day 45mins, cardio every second day 20mins, rest on Sunday and eat cheat meals. https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 6iptjavi_e

I don't follow that routine now, but I learned a fair bit from it. I eat a healthy diet and exercise pretty regularly. I fluctuate 5-10lbs here and there over the lazy Winter, but in general I keep in pretty good shape. I've put on a few lbs by eating junk food, but, I'm curbing that and ramping up my workouts so that I can lean out again before Summer hits. Then if I keep up the cardio etc, I'll be back to approaching 6 pack territory. 8)

One thing I would strongly recommend you add to your diet is organic apple cider vinegar with the mother. Just put a 1/2 ounce or so in a glass of water and drink it down. Pretty good at helping melt off the fat lbs.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 1:00 pm

Also, in case no one else has mentioned it, there's no need to run.. being a tortoise wins the fat burning race one the hare.

If you've ever used a treadmill at a gym that measures your heart rate, you'll notice that the higher the heart rate (when running) the better it is for building cardio health (heart/lungs) but that the lower the heart rate, the better it is for burning fat. The best pace for burning fat is a Very Fast walking pace.. annoyingly fast, like on the cusp of a slow jog. If you can maintain a sort of speed-walking pace for a long distance/time interval, you'll burn a LOT more fat than if you cover the same distance jogging or running. When fat burning is the goal, walk it off.. literally. Walk for as long as you can every day or two and it won't be long until you see lbs shedding off. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 12:31 am

if you do one thing only, giving up gluten/gliadin, through at least the mechanism of dietary restriction you will see a difference in your waistline [and your wasteline as well ;) ]

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2019, 6:17 am

I've been at a healthy weight most of my life, but I did gain a fair bit in my first go-around in grad school in 2007-2008. I was eating too much out of stress, and frankly much of it was junk, and so my weight went up accordingly -- I went from 115 lbs (I'm a 5'2" female) to nearly 140 (I think my highest recorded weight was 139 lbs). I lost 25 lbs gradually over the next year by following a low calorie diet. I ate no more than 1500 calories a day, and I exercised frequently, burning between 300 to 600 calories each session. I made sure not to consume fewer than 1000 calories, but no more than 1800 (which is about what I need to stay at any current weight) on any given day. Most days I ate between 1200 and 1500, which is enough of a decrease to create a gradual deficit without starving myself. I went down from almost 140 to my normal 115 by late 2009. I haven't gained significantly since; I stayed around 115 until 2016 when I left my dad's home cooking and joined my beloved. I don't cook as much as my dad, and my beloved doesn't cook at all, so I gained a few from processed food in 2016. But just a few; I've been consistently right around 120 lbs now since 2016. So it's been stable. I've never approached my grad school weight since.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 6:50 am

It's difficult to lose weight when the meds you are on make you pile on your weight , you have to make drastic changes if that's the case ( I don't do drastic change :lol: ). I've cut out drinking Pepsi which made a huge difference , I just need to get more active and catch the buzz again - difficult when you are in the depths of depression and recovering from a burnout.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kajolkumar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2019, 6:09 am

Thanks for information. I am starting diet, these tips will help me.

levi53120
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2019, 12:56 am

The best plan for me was to forget about losing weight because that only made me focus on food and that made me gain weight. Instead I lift weights about 3 days a week, eat small portions of real food, and walk my dogs daily. I never go hungry, I rarely eat sweets, and if I am genuinely extra hungry one day, I eat more that day. I have lost 60 pounds over the last 2 years and am still losing some but not as rapidly. I am considered a normal weight for my heighth with a BMI of 24 and a waistline of 34 inches. I plan to continue this non plan as it seems to be working. I only drink water and coffee with the occasional alcoholic beverage thrown in. I am female and just turned 64. Oh and I had to get off of Elavil and Neurontin. If I had stayed on those, I would still be overweight.