5 Noise Cancelling Headphones for Autism

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sfoerster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2020, 5:40 am

I purchased the Sony WH-1000XM3 and then purchased three more .. they are changing my life. Price at this posting is $250 .. based upon the FCC receiving filings for what appear to be WH-1000XM4 headphones. The headphones will probably start at the $350 price point.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 4:11 pm

Sfoerster wrote:
I purchased the Sony WH-1000XM3 and then purchased three more .. they are changing my life. Price at this posting is $250 .. based upon the FCC receiving filings for what appear to be WH-1000XM4 headphones. The headphones will probably start at the $350 price point.

Can this model be used strictly for noise cancelling without playing any music at all?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 10:40 am

I just found out that I can get noise-cancelling headphones / earplugs, as well as other assistive equipment (weighted blanket, chewies, Irlen lenses, and Developmental Optometry) covered by insurance because of Autism / ADHD.

WOOT.

I have tinnitus, misophonia, and hyperacusis. I'm looking for recommendations of noise cancelling earplugs which are discrete. I don't have a problem with loud noises, but crinkle noises and quiet / high pitched repetitive sounds drive me mad. I've heard of Eargasm and Vibes but there seem to be many different options for each, and I have no idea what my decibel thresholds are or how to measure my needs. My last audiology report is entirely useless.

Also I'm assuming I'll lose the earplugs in true Isabellean style, so how do people keep track of them?

I wear regular earplugs to sleep but they just stay at my nightstand.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I just found out that I can get noise-cancelling headphones / earplugs, as well as other assistive equipment (weighted blanket, chewies, Irlen lenses, and Developmental Optometry) covered by insurance because of Autism / ADHD.

WOOT.

I have tinnitus, misophonia, and hyperacusis. I'm looking for recommendations of noise cancelling earplugs which are discrete. I don't have a problem with loud noises, but crinkle noises and quiet / high pitched repetitive sounds drive me mad. I've heard of Eargasm and Vibes but there seem to be many different options for each, and I have no idea what my decibel thresholds are or how to measure my needs. My last audiology report is entirely useless.

Also I'm assuming I'll lose the earplugs in true Isabellean style, so how do people keep track of them?

WHAT??? I have paid close to a thousand dollars for sound mitigating things and my insurance could have covered it? Wow! I need to find out how to do that. I have tinnitus and misophonia as well. I have truckloads of earplugs and ear defenders and I keep some everywhere because I need them almost 24/7

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 12:35 pm

skibum wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

WOOT.

WHAT??? I have paid close to a thousand dollars for sound mitigating things and my insurance could have covered it? Wow! I need to find out how to do that. I have tinnitus and misophonia as well. I have truckloads of earplugs and ear defenders and I keep some everywhere because I need them almost 24/7

They need to be prescribed by a doctor. Mine are prescribed in the Neuropsychiatrist's report for my ADHD as well as in my ASD report, and they were all recommended again by OT this week. They're classified as medical devices much like my cane was, after my stroke.

I just got the bright idea to ask!!

Check it out.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 12:47 pm

oh wow. I am going to text my doctor right now. Thank you

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 4:07 pm

I just got off the phone with my insurance company. They said they can cover anything the doctor requests that has an actual medical code. So the doctor has to see if any of those items are coded. The insurance company also just set me up with a nurse from them that can help me find resources for things I might need. So I am really thankful to you Isabella for saying how your insurance pays for these things. Hopefully many of us can look into that as well.

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 5:19 pm

skibum wrote:
I just got off the phone with my insurance company. They said they can cover anything the doctor requests that has an actual medical code. So the doctor has to see if any of those items are coded. The insurance company also just set me up with a nurse from them that can help me find resources for things I might need. So I am really thankful to you Isabella for saying how your insurance pays for these things. Hopefully many of us can look into that as well.

:heart: Wow -- I'm so glad that all worked out! Good luck!! !!

I'm thankful to you always, for everything ... so consider it a very small favour in return!!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 5:59 pm

Awww, you know you are one of my best friends here. I am always glad to help you. And I am so grateful for everything that I learn from you. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jun 2020, 9:42 pm

I'm an audiophile and fully recognize that the noise-canceling headphones water the music down...but that being said, I love noise-canceling headphones. I've collected some high(ish)-end headphones like AKG, Denon, Sony, and for listening to music of course I prefer those to noise-canceling...but I love noise-canceling for what they're known to do, and for the fact that they're wireless. The only pairs I have ever had are Bose QC35 -- which lasted two years or so of heavy use, until the foam basically came apart -- and then I recently replaced/upgraded to 700s. The 700s are amazing -- even better noise canceling than Q35 and better at blocking out sound, also better sound quality for listening. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Septify
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2020, 10:32 am

Try JBL E25BT. Cheap and useful.

PetyaGSD73
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2021, 9:56 am

I know this is an older topic but, I just had to do some research so I figured I'd add a small update in case someone else is looking at noise cancelling earbuds.

My Bose Quietcomfort 30s (the kind with the necklace type thing with the wires to the earbuds) just started a loud static noise yesterday for seemingly no reason so, I have to find some noise canceling earbuds today. I really loved those, the firmware was up to date and none of their suggestions to fix them worked so I have to send them in for repair.

In a nutshell:
Sony noise cancelling earbuds now have Alexa built in. That is a deal-breaker for me. See below for why.*
I'm going with the Bose Quietcomfort earbuds. Expensive but, quality noise cancelling, sweat/weather resistant, good audio, and call quality.

*I will not pay $200+ for earbuds only to have Amazon and Sony make money from my data. Frankly, I'm rather insulted by being turned into a product after shelling out a bunch of cash. It's not like the earbuds are free and I'm paying for them by letting Sony and Amazon sell every data point they can about me. Gmail is free because we are the product, this is an expensive purchase that you continue to pay for with the data you constantly generate.

Sennheiser - more expensive than Bose for very similar specs.
Klipsch - also has Alexa and Google assistant built in.
Jabra - have never tried and they seem good however, Bose reviews are better and I know they seal into my ear.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2021, 8:07 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
skibum wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

WOOT.

They need to be prescribed by a doctor. Mine are prescribed in the Neuropsychiatrist's report for my ADHD as well as in my ASD report, and they were all recommended again by OT this week. They're classified as medical devices much like my cane was, after my stroke.

I just got the bright idea to ask!!

Check it out.

Thanks for this info!! ! :heart:

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

sleepnot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2021, 9:01 pm

I've been using Bose headphones for years now, mainly when I'm in noisy places such as airports. They definitely help, but I always get this kind of oppressive feeling (as if there's pressure in my head). Maybe it has to do with the fact that in order to cancel noise it generates more noise. Has anybody else experienced this?

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2021, 6:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

WOOT.

I use Vibes at work every day (not all day, just as I need them) and they do decent at taking the edge off the noise without blocking the ability to hear people talk. They are also quite comfortable I find, I have a hard time finding comfortable ear plugs that don't make my ears hurt. I keep the little case they came in in my purse, and they stay in there when I'm not directly using them.

mihala_mm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2021, 10:34 am

I do recommend Poly Blackwire 8225-M (Cable), I bought several different types after MS Teams suddenly do not work well together with my Denon and this one works well for me.