My teacher keeps making subtle comments about me

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Seldovia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2018, 10:58 am

When I'm in class my teacher will say things that suggest he knows im autistic. One time I asked him if, as a chemistry student, I could get chemicals from the school. He replied, "Yes but that requires socializing with the faculty, so for you, impossible."
Then today I didn't have a lab partner, and I asked him if I'm allowed to work alone. He asked me, "Do you enjoy working alone?" I said yes, and he replied "I figured as much."

I never told him I'm autistic, I guess I'm just pretty noticeable.

Last edited by Seldovia on 10 Oct 2018, 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:59 am

Oh brother.....I'm sorry you have to go through this crap!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 11:02 am

That's high school for you. Teachers will always be on the lookout for the "odd" students, and will make whatever comments they please about those students' behaviors.

Seldovia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2018, 11:03 am

Fnord wrote:
That's high school for you. Teachers will always be on the lookout for the "odd" students, and will make whatever comments they please about those students' behaviors.

Well, university, but yeah

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 11:03 am

Seldovia wrote:
When I'm in class my teacher will say things that suggest he knows im autistic. One time I asked him if, as a chemistry student, I could get chemicals from the school. He replied, "Yes but that requires sociallizing with the faculty, so for you, impossible."
Then today I didn't have a lab partner, and I asked him if I'm allowed to work alone. He asked me, "Do you enjoy working alone?" I said yes, and he replied "I figured as much."

I never told him I'm autistic, I guess I'm just pretty noticable.

Turn the tables on him, and report the SOB. What is he going to do, hit you in school? And that is my "nice" response. You don't want to know my not-so-nice response (going public and ruining his career).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 11:04 am

Fnord wrote:

Try elementary school for me. Two or three teachers did such things to me, and enjoyed it!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 11:08 am

Seldovia wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Uni? Private or public? I'm guessing "public", since my impression of private colleges is one of greater sophistication. I could be wrong, though.

Seldovia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2018, 11:10 am

Fnord wrote:
Seldovia wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Uni? Private or public? I'm guessing "public", since my impression of private colleges is one of greater sophistication. I could be wrong, though.

Yes, it is public.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2018, 4:46 pm

I see some fairly neutral reporting of a situation from OP, and some responses interpreting it negatively.

Just to put it out there..

What if this teacher knows about spectrum traits because he or an immediate family member is on the spectrum?

Perhaps he wants to make a connection :mrgreen: , but isn't allowed or doesn't feel comfortable asking outright.

Seldovia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2018, 2:21 am

TimS1980 wrote:
I see some fairly neutral reporting of a situation from OP, and some responses interpreting it negatively.

Just to put it out there..

What if this teacher knows about spectrum traits because he or an immediate family member is on the spectrum?

Perhaps he wants to make a connection :mrgreen: , but isn't allowed or doesn't feel comfortable asking outright.

Yes, I should clarify. Hes a very nice teacher, and I don't think hes doing it to pick on me. In fact, he seems slightly on the spectrum to me.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2018, 11:15 pm

If he's trying to be nice but what he's doing makes you uncomfortable, maybe you could say something along the lines of, while you appreciate what he's doing, you'd also like the opportunity to learn how to deal with the social situations you will eventually have to handle with society. That means learning to do things like deal with classmates and perhaps getting those conversations for chemical use in the most comfortable environment possible (one on one conversation, few outside stimuli, whatever you might need). It acknowledges that you understand he means well but that his approach isn't the best for what you feel you need.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 4:24 am

You provided a good explanation.

I would use it as sort of “reality testing.” Know that the teacher means no harm.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 5:53 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Try elementary school for me.

That was when I encountered teachers looking for the odd ones too. In junior high and high school, they didn't seem to be on the lookout, they just focused on the subjects, not how we were socially, which was so much better!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2018, 2:07 am

I might've had some situations like this back in elementary, but I'll admit in terms of college, this is kinda beyond the pale for me. Maybe it's just because I've gotten really good at hiding it over the years, who knows. Also, awesome signature. I freaking love the work of Hunter S. Thompson. He basically served as the inspiration for my writing style if I'm just writing for myself. Plus his books are a really great read and I highly recommend them to anyone who hasn't read them before.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 5:58 am

Dear God Seldovia I'm so sorry you had to tolerate that awful teacher and the mean-spirited comments towards you!

Perhaps a conversation with the school principal would be in order and to mention that you might/are Autistic and to tell that teacher to lay off?

:cry:

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2018, 7:55 am

Not sure if your uni has a specific office to handle stuff like this, but even if it doesn't, talk to someone.