Page 5 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:44 pm

B19 wrote:
What about WhatAboutism? It's been like a virus infecting WP ever since 2015, mainly though not exclusively endlessly repeated in thread after thread by Trump admirers.

Do you object to my previous question to AspE? I think it was perfectly justified, given I'm trying to show that there is no difference between Democrats and Republicans when it comes to war.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:46 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
B19 wrote:
What about WhatAboutism? It's been like a virus infecting WP ever since 2015, mainly though not exclusively endlessly repeated in thread after thread by Trump admirers.

Do you object to my previous question to AspE? I think it was perfectly justified, given I'm trying to show that there is no difference between Democrats and Republicans when it comes to war.

True. In war they are the same and it oddly eerily gets worse with each new person in the White House. Any idea why? That’s actually a sincere question.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:52 pm

I am concerned about the impacts on WP and WP members generally. Some members seem to use WhatAboutism to reinforce their repetitions of "past crimes" to cause division and conflict here month after month.

This forum used to be about news, and now it's another political swamp of whataboutism and sneering at political difference.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:55 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
B19 wrote:

True. In war they are the same and it oddly eerily gets worse with each new person in the White House. Any idea why? That’s actually a sincere question.

Because war is profitable. And both parties are in bed with the Military-Industrial Complex. The media is pro-war, also. MSNBC, for instance, is owned by General Electric, which has defense contracts with the military. It's no mystery why they booted Phil Donahue from their network in the runup to the Iraq War for speaking out against the imminent invasion.

It really sickens me!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:56 pm

B19 wrote:
sneering at political difference.

Welcome to America?

But seriously there is no group that can’t be impacted by tense political times.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 5:04 pm

B19 wrote:
I am concerned about the impacts on WP and WP members generally. Some members seem to use WhatAboutism to reinforce their repetitions of "past crimes" to cause division and conflict here month after month.

This forum used to be about news, and now it's another political swamp of whataboutism and sneering at political difference.

I understand. I get frustrated with the partisan bickering, also. Perhaps I'm not helping matters, either. Maybe I'll give political discussions a rest for awhile.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 5:04 pm

Should also note I am very close to just packing up and moving to Toronto. America is Rome burning to the ground and I don’t see it getting better any time soon. Vegetable has it right in that both parties are s**t.

Also probably partly to do with America’s s**t system of only two political parties. We need a system more like the UK where there are more than “us or them.”

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:45 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
AspE wrote:
Obama inherited the unenviable task of ending the war in Iraq, and that took time. It might have even been a bit premature, given what occurred with ISIS. Afghanistan through the Taliban actually did attack us, and that war was justified. So we fight wars differently.

What about the other five wars that were waged during the Obama administration? What about arming ISIS in Syria? Face it! The Democrats and the Republicans serve the Military-Industrial Complex. There is no difference!

The Democratic Party is the only party talking about campaign finance reform. I'm not against war, Assad is a monster, and no one armed ISIS on purpose.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 9:38 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
Should also note I am very close to just packing up and moving to Toronto. America is Rome burning to the ground and I don’t see it getting better any time soon. Vegetable has it right in that both parties are s**t.

Also probably partly to do with America’s s**t system of only two political parties. We need a system more like the UK where there are more than “us or them.”

Not in a "good riddance" way at all, but I would find it admirable if you did move to Canada. If you have the means to do it, you'd be better in my opinion than every single famous blowhard that actually promised to do so and then epically reneged. No respect from me at all. My wife has a friend who moved to Canada with her husband years ago and they love it there so much they're finally working on becoming Canadian citizens. Do it!

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 10:55 pm

Magna wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:

Not in a "good riddance" way at all, but I would find it admirable if you did move to Canada. If you have the means to do it, you'd be better in my opinion than every single famous blowhard that actually promised to do so and then epically reneged. No respect from me at all. My wife has a friend who moved to Canada with her husband years ago and they love it there so much they're finally working on becoming Canadian citizens. Do it!

Two hours away from my home town. I love it there. The people are great as well.

Gonna wait to see how 2020 goes, then plan from there. Ironically in moving I’d actually be closer to home.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 8:59 am

AspE wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
AspE wrote:
Obama inherited the unenviable task of ending the war in Iraq, and that took time. It might have even been a bit premature, given what occurred with ISIS. Afghanistan through the Taliban actually did attack us, and that war was justified. So we fight wars differently.

What about the other five wars that were waged during the Obama administration? What about arming ISIS in Syria? Face it! The Democrats and the Republicans serve the Military-Industrial Complex. There is no difference!

The Democratic Party is the only party talking about campaign finance reform. I'm not against war, Assad is a monster, and no one armed ISIS on purpose.

The Democrats talk about a lot of wonderful things, but rarely act. So you're good with wars for profits (at least when your team is in charge). Good to know.

Assad is not a good guy, but we don't generally care about taking out bad guys unless it's in our best interests to do so. In fact, we're quite fond of overthrowing democratically elected leaders and installing dictators when it suits us. The last good example being the 2009 coup in Honduras which led to a mass exodus of minors fleeing the country and trying to get into the U.S. (Hillary, as SOS is on record for being in favor building a wall along the U.S./Mexican border long before Trump.)

Yeah, I guess we armed ISIS purely by accident. Whoops? How did that happen?

Oscar Meyer Lansky