My interest in this world is that which is not of this world

Page 1 of 8 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Bether3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2018, 5:21 pm

I have a love for everything ethereal, mystical and esoteric.

i.e. Near death experience/astral travel/past life regression accounts, stories of altered states of consciousness via the use of psychedelics and ayahuasca, consciousness studies, quantum theory, theology, Eckhart Tolle's books and speaking engagements, Duncan Trussell's podcasts on such, etc.

How about you? I would love to know of your thoughts, ideology on such matters and to get recommendations regarding it- books, podcasts, websites, articles... all the information :)!

Last edited by Bether3 on 10 Oct 2018, 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 6:17 pm

I haven't had NDE, but I've had plenty of out-of-body experiences. I've never actually flown away and looked down at my own body, but I've walked around, and tried to turn on lights, etc. Electricity never works in OOBEs. There's no light, either, everything just has this dark blue haze to it, with ambient occlusion shading.

I've tried past-life regression a few times, I'd like to find the time to try more often. I'm pretty sure I did something terrible in a past life or two, and I'm paying for it now.

The first time I tried it, was along with a YouTube video, and I saw myself in the middle of an ocean, near a ship. I have a feeling that I didn't survive long after that, because when he guided us further into the future of that life, everything was blurry looking and brown, I couldn't make anything out.

Another time, I was holding a really nice pistol, I might have been cleaning it. Another time, I was cuddling up with this orange/brown knitted blanket.

The last time I tried, I saw what looked like a basement room, very brightly lit, and all of the floor and walls were lined with black trash bags. I have a feeling that either something terrible happened to me in that room, or I did something terrible to someone else.

I'm too afraid to try astral projection. My friend used to do it a lot, and he would come back from it, and find scratches all over his body, like demons were trying to get inside while he was away 8O

No thank you!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 6:25 pm

Still waiting for proof that the immeasurable actually exists.

Bether3

10 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I haven't had NDE, but I've had plenty of out-of-body experiences. I've never actually flown away and looked down at my own body, but I've walked around, and tried to turn on lights, etc. Electricity never works in OOBEs. There's no light, either, everything just has this dark blue haze to it, with ambient occlusion shading.

I've tried past-life regression a few times, I'd like to find the time to try more often. I'm pretty sure I did something terrible in a past life or two, and I'm paying for it now.

The first time I tried it, was along with a YouTube video, and I saw myself in the middle of an ocean, near a ship. I have a feeling that I didn't survive long after that, because when he guided us further into the future of that life, everything was blurry looking and brown, I couldn't make anything out.

Another time, I was holding a really nice pistol, I might have been cleaning it. Another time, I was cuddling up with this orange/brown knitted blanket.

The last time I tried, I saw what looked like a basement room, very brightly lit, and all of the floor and walls were lined with black trash bags. I have a feeling that either something terrible happened to me in that room, or I did something terrible to someone else.

I'm too afraid to try astral projection. My friend used to do it a lot, and he would come back from it, and find scratches all over his body, like demons were trying to get inside while he was away 8O

No thank you!

Fascinating.

I've had a couple lucid dreams, one which may have been astral projection. I had been sleeping, then all of a sudden, I was in standing in the bathroom, and nothing looked different, but I wondered to myself if I was dreaming. There's a scene in the film "Waking Life" in which a character touches on lucid dreaming and he says one sure way to tell if you are dreaming is to try the light switches; if the light doesn't turn on, you're asleep. I recalled that scene, and turned the light switch up- nothing. In realizing I was "asleep", I woke up.

I would love to experience past life regression. I've listened to several past life hypnosis sessions by Dr. Brian Weiss via YouTube, but nothing happens.

On the subject of demons... When I was living in an apartment with my boyfriend at the time, I awoke one night to a burning sensation on my arm. I turned on the light and saw three distinct, fresh scratch marks. We had three cats, though none of them had the habit of scratching, and I sleep peacefully, and didn't have long nails at the time, so I couldn't have done it. Still, I tried to recreate the scratches myself- nothing, besides the marks were too close together for my fingers to have done it. I went downstairs to talk to my boyfriend whom was still up, and to see if any of the cats may have been in the room. I showed him my arm, and he told me the cats had been with him the whole time. Also, it happened to be 3 in the morning -"the witching hour"- when it happened. He was a fan of the show "Supernatural", so, of course, he was freaked out and proceeded to salt the apartment and give me a cross necklace. lol It was creepy.

Bether3

10 Oct 2018, 7:20 pm

Fnord wrote:

The immeasurable can't be measured, therefore the only proof one can get is to experience it.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 8:16 pm

I have an odd obsession with death even though I fear death because we are all doomed to die someday.

I like things about ghosts because I'm not sure if they really exist but I want to believe they do exist because then I would feel better about death.

Also I used to have a fascination with wicca and witchcraft and I tried my hand in things like candle magic and rune stones. I don't think it ever actually worked, or if it did work I must have done something wrong and it backfired with that whole "rule of three" thing which could explain why my life went to hell and I became cursed with Bipolar Disorder.

quite an extreme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2018, 1:51 am

Bether3 wrote:
The immeasurable can't be measured,

As per definition. Otherwise it wouldn't be immeasurable.
Bether3 wrote:
therefore the only proof one can get is to experience it.

There are no limits for the brain to act this way.

Friend_of_Sankt_Veit
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2018, 7:28 am

To be honest, and hopefully this is not an insult to you, this kind of thing is frightening to me and I don't believe that it exists outside of the mind. You have probably heard this a lot, so again I apologize. However, I have noticed that the more a person takes a psychedelic drug, the more they are apt to believe in this kind of thing and/or experience it. So my question is: does the psychedelic alter the brain to the point where users are walking around in some kind of permanent, pseudo-delusion? Or does it somehow unlock the door to a very real unseen world?

I will share with you that I have a niece who is 25 years old. She came from a materialistic upper-class environment and had very few interests other than acquiring more possessions, high fashion, and eventually anorexia. She was stressed out constantly by heavy loads of schoolwork. When she started taking psychedelics of all kinds, I began to notice a subtle difference that would slowly build until her personality was completely different. My fashion obsessed niece, member of the in-crowd, started reading books and making amazing art, but now does not bathe regularly or sleep and is still interested in fashion, but the fashion of clowns. She has lived in Brooklyn as a clown 24/7, in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood to the consternation and fascination of her neighbors. She is functional and doesn't seem mentally ill, just has a far out personality that makes her sometimes the object of ridicule and derision. She did not have this before and you can see how family would be disturbed. She works really hard at several jobs and travels around the US. I was able to converse well with her when she first started all of this, but now her speech is very difficult to follow. Very few people can. Functionally she is fine, but she is completely unable to live in normal reality or perception.

Not to offend anyone regarding drugs or the paranormal, but I caution people to take extreme care as to what they put in their body. They may not end up feeling subjectively odd or end up in a psych ward, but they often do not realize how they appear to others who do not turn on. It is too great a price to pay for enlightenment in my books.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:07 am

Bether3 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The immeasurable can't be measured, therefore the only proof one can get is to experience it.
If an event is purely experiential, then how can it be defined as real? Sure, the experience is real, but why attribute its cause to something allegedly "supernatural", when simpler explanations would involve natural causes?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:32 am

On one acid trip Falkor the Luckdragon came flying out of the clouds , it was awesome , it felt like it was going to impart some great knowledge on me , Falkor told me ( without speaking ) to go and buy some custard creams so I did. Falkor was full of s**t , I couldn't even get through one biscuit as one biscuit felt like I had the whole packet in my mouth.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:57 am

Anecdotal and experiential phenomena can be examined as psychological and sociological matters, and they are very real in only that sense. What is behind them is a matter of pure speculation, especially when no evidence is put forth that the alleged events actually occurred as described.

Bether3

11 Oct 2018, 9:25 am

Friend_of_Sankt_Veit wrote:
To be honest, and hopefully this is not an insult to you, this kind of thing is frightening to me and I don't believe that it exists outside of the mind. You have probably heard this a lot, so again I apologize. However, I have noticed that the more a person takes a psychedelic drug, the more they are apt to believe in this kind of thing and/or experience it. So my question is: does the psychedelic alter the brain to the point where users are walking around in some kind of permanent, pseudo-delusion? Or does it somehow unlock the door to a very real unseen world?

I will share with you that I have a niece who is 25 years old. She came from a materialistic upper-class environment and had very few interests other than acquiring more possessions, high fashion, and eventually anorexia. She was stressed out constantly by heavy loads of schoolwork. When she started taking psychedelics of all kinds, I began to notice a subtle difference that would slowly build until her personality was completely different. My fashion obsessed niece, member of the in-crowd, started reading books and making amazing art, but now does not bathe regularly or sleep and is still interested in fashion, but the fashion of clowns. She has lived in Brooklyn as a clown 24/7, in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood to the consternation and fascination of her neighbors. She is functional and doesn't seem mentally ill, just has a far out personality that makes her sometimes the object of ridicule and derision. She did not have this before and you can see how family would be disturbed. She works really hard at several jobs and travels around the US. I was able to converse well with her when she first started all of this, but now her speech is very difficult to follow. Very few people can. Functionally she is fine, but she is completely unable to live in normal reality or perception.

Not to offend anyone regarding drugs or the paranormal, but I caution people to take extreme care as to what they put in their body. They may not end up feeling subjectively odd or end up in a psych ward, but they often do not realize how they appear to others who do not turn on. It is too great a price to pay for enlightenment in my books.

You’re entitled to your opinion, and I don’t take it as an insult. My views do not define me, and I am not attached to any one belief or doctrine. You are correct that psychedelics make one more apt to believe/experience the transcendental. I wouldn’t know from my own experience, as I have not taken a psychedelic, though I am curious to. That’s a great question. I think that it expands one's consciousness, plain and simple.

Thank you for sharing about your niece. You point out that before psychedelics she had very few interests other than materialism and image, that of fashion and body image, that she was constantly stressed, all factors which could have been catalysts for a shift. Maybe who she is now is who she has always been, but that she felt uncomfortable with being due to the pressures of materialist, upper class society. Or maybe this is her adopting another lifestyle and image to replace the other which she couldn’t uphold, anymore. It’s possible that the psychedelics, possibly other drugs, she's using aren’t clean, aren’t compatible with the wiring of her brain, and are causing effects in her cognition. I don’t know. If she’s not hurting herself or others, and is happy, then that’s what matters.

“Not to offend anyone regarding drugs or the paranormal, but I caution people to take extreme care as to what they put in their body. They may not end up feeling subjectively odd or end up in a psych ward, but they often do not realize how they appear to others who do not turn on. It is too great a price to pay for enlightenment in my books.”< Thank you for stating this- I second it!

If you’d like to know about psychedilcs, their history, how they work, the latest research and so forth, I highly recommend Michael Pollan’s book, “How to Change Your Mind”.

Bether3

11 Oct 2018, 9:29 am

Fnord wrote:
Anecdotal and experiential phenomena can be examined as psychological and sociological matters, and they are very real in only that sense. What is behind them is a matter of pure speculation, especially when no evidence is put forth that the alleged events actually occurred as described.

Look at quantum physics. This chair that I'm sitting in looks and feels solid, but examined at the micro level it is 99.9 empty space. It's all a matter of perspective. Some happenings in this world cannot be defined, explained away- that doesn’t make them any less real.

Bether3

11 Oct 2018, 9:33 am

Bether3 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Look at quantum physics; especially the double slit experience and string theory. For instance, this chair that I'm sitting in looks and feels solid, but examined at the micro level it is 99.9 empty space. It's all a matter of perspective. Some happenings in this world cannot be defined, explained away- that doesn’t make them any less real.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 9:42 am

Bether3 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Look at quantum physics. This chair that I'm sitting in looks and feels solid, but examined at the micro level it is 99.9 empty space. It's all a matter of perspective. Some happenings in this world cannot be defined, explained away- that doesn’t make them any less real.
Yes, I look at quantum physics on a daily basis, and it is so well-defined that we build mobile phones, computer chips, and LED displays by using those well-defined natural principles, So, to people in my profession, quantum principles are very clearly defined, and to people who lack STEM training and experience, "quantum" is just another word for "magic".

Science investigates, seeks to understand, natural or material phenomena. If supernatural or non-material phenomena exist, if there is a non-material reality, it is outside the domain of science. This is sensible because, by definition, only the natural/material world can be investigated. To say we could investigate a supernatural, non-material, phenomena would mean that we understand it to have objective existence, some implicit order and be capable of interaction. That would bring it into the natural, material, sphere.

The world of energy and matter is the only reality and that the mind, emotions, thoughts, perceptions, dreams, et cetera, are merely emergent functions of it.

Nothing can happen without cause; nothing happens that cannot happen, and when what was capable of happening has happened, it may not be interpreted as supernatural. Consequently there is nothing supernatural. Therefore only this conclusion may be drawn: What is incapable of happening never happens, and what is capable of happening is not supernatural.