Scientists create logic circuits in organic cells

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

gabemai314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA, Earth, Solar System, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe

10 Oct 2018, 10:17 pm

What do you all think about this achievement? I am flabbergasted that they were able to chain 7 NOR gates together in a yeast cell to begin with! :o :o :o
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170525085123.htm

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2018, 1:08 pm

If it works effectively, it would be funny to find that biology and programming / nanotechnology essentially become complimentarily subjects. Though it's also scary how close technology is brushing against biology. Imagine being able to "hack" somebody's cells. It would possibly bring on a new wave of bioweaponry.

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2018, 1:53 pm

This paper was published a year and a half ago. Why are they reporting on it now?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:23 pm

Deemar wrote:
This paper was published a year and a half ago. Why are they reporting on it now?
Trump has sunk as low as he can go, and the Kavanaugh hearings are over, perhaps?

In other words, the newsfeeds have cooled down enough for the important stuff to finally get through.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:27 pm

They did not fully describe the circuit. I wonder what its Boolean function looks like?

A NOR gate drops its output low if one or more inputs are set high:

0 NOR 0 = 1
0 NOR 1 = 0
1 NOR 0 = 0
1 NOR 1 = 0

It is the inverse of an OR gate.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 1:50 pm

I've heard of this before, and I wondered if biocomputers would ever replace electronic computers. In electronic computers, Moore's law is now nearing its end, so I wondered if nanotechnology might eventually be the next way to shrink computers further.

Apparently not, according to the O.P.'s linked article:

Quote:
"While implementing simple programs in cells will never rival the speed or accuracy of computation in silicon, genetic programs can interact with the cell's environment directly," said senior author and UW electrical engineering professor Eric Klavins.