Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2018, 4:20 pm

trek was great in spite of gene and not because of him. more later

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 10:53 am

As I understand it, the show's best writers, like DC Fontana left around about the same time.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2018, 9:45 am

Star Trek was a brilliant creation that was successful in spite of, and not because of, its creator. Gene was the direct cause of the decline of TOS in mid season 2 and all of season 3. TNG had a rocky start and didn't really get moving until after his death. And Star Trek The Motion Sickness was one of the biggest misfires in franchise history. Star Trek 2: The Film That Saved This Franchise was very much disliked by Gene and done against his wishes.

Also, look at everything Gene tried between TOS and TNG--most of it was awful. And then we get Kevin Zorbo in Star Trek Last Man Standing! They thought putting Genes name on it would make it good lol.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Oct 2018, 6:56 am

I really liked it but I really liked all the Star Trek series except I haven't seen Discovery yet.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2018, 4:06 pm

I enjoy DS9. It doesn't blow me away but I like the setting and the story, and most of all the characters. Sisko, Kira, Odo, Quark, Garak and so on...no other Star Trek series had a cast like that.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 4:44 pm

Evil_Chuck wrote:
I enjoy DS9. It doesn't blow me away but I like the setting and the story, and most of all the characters. Sisko, Kira, Odo, Quark, Garak and so on...no other Star Trek series had a cast like that.

I agree, 100%. Instead of having one stand out character, say like Spock in the original series, it had multiple type characters who really could gather viewer attention.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 2:23 am

Don't forget the Grand Nagus :D

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2018, 1:16 pm

The Ferengi started out as the new Klingons. That is how they were originally planned out...and it flopped horribly in the TNG Ferengi episodes. Their culture was primarily developed in DS9, where they were presented not as quasi pirate warriors but as businessmen. But they were also demoted from the rank of New Bad Guys to Comic Relief Species. Even their law or moral code or whatever you want to call it was presented as a joke.

IMO Ferengi society is divided into two subcultures then, firstly the space faring quasi pirates we saw in ENT and TNG who fly those crab shaped ships, and secondly the businessman class represented by Quark and others like him.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2018, 1:20 pm

I would add: one of the very significant things that DS9 did for Trek is it took several aliens who were first introduced in TNG as the species of the week and fleshed them out and actually developed them. This would include the Trill, Bajorans, Cardassians, and Ferengi. Almost all of the development of these species was done on DS9.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 1:46 pm

One of the reasons why DS9 is my favorite Trek series.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2018, 2:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
One of the reasons why DS9 is my favorite Trek series.

The development of those species as seen in DS9 then was used by both TNG and Voy. Also DS9 made significant contributions to the development of the Klingons as well.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 6:21 pm

My favorite of the Trek series. Even if there was very little actual trekking involved. I feel like I love it for a lot of the reasons that many people don't. TOS and TNG had some of the federation's best and brightest with the best technology and resources at their disposal going forth to meet any challenge they might find. DS9 had a crew that very often hated the crappy station they were on and the people they had to work with, and they had to just make the best of the situation they were in. Picard and co. could solve the problems of the planet of the week and go on about their business, but Sisko almost always had to deal with unexpected consequences of his decisions. In a way I feel like it gave more credence to the series' idealism by so directly challenging and defying it. Far Beyond the Stars and In the Pale Moonlight are two of my favorite episodes of anything.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 11:57 pm

Up until DS9, the Star Trek would introduce you to brand new species and characters, then (in most cases) move on without looking back. I think it was resourceful to flesh out some of the lesser known species and share the spotlight with other characters.

I liked Pickard and Crusher from TNG, but honestly didn't care for the other characters (that includes Data). I tried watching voyager at several different points, but that show was just awful. Although Enterprise had more character blind spots, it was still pretty enjoyable for me, Archer is my favorite captain overall.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 12:29 am

MDD123 wrote:
Up until DS9, the Star Trek would introduce you to brand new species and characters, then (in most cases) move on without looking back. I think it was resourceful to flesh out some of the lesser known species and share the spotlight with other characters.

I liked Pickard and Crusher from TNG, but honestly didn't care for the other characters (that includes Data). I tried watching voyager at several different points, but that show was just awful. Although Enterprise had more character blind spots, it was still pretty enjoyable for me, Archer is my favorite captain overall.

I agree, Voyager is my least favorite Star Trek series. For me, it was because it didn't really have any characters that made me want to emotionally latch onto.