New Zealand teacher threatened/abused by Kavanaugh's fans

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Oct 2018, 7:50 am

Good God, we are not even safe from this kind of USA fanaticism and bullying way down here...

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeal ... naugh.html

Few Kiwis could imagine being caught up in the drama, but that's exactly what happened to North Shore teacher Samantha Ness.

"It did creep me out when people were starting to request friendship on Facebook and start to get into my life and then contacting my boss," she told Newshub.

Alarm bells started ringing when a message appeared on one of her public Facebook photos.

"Your disgusting [sic]," it read - and hinted more was to come.

Ms Ness fobbed it off at first, but things got serious when an email was sent to her school principal.

"I hope and pray that you will not tolerate the behavior of Samantha Ness," it read. "Threatening lies because she disagrees with people; she should not be around children."

Another rolled in, simply reading: "You're fired!! !!"

She soon found another in her own personal inbox, which said: "Low life. You need to lose your teaching job."

Then came a threat: "You have been reported to your School Director in Rosemount MN, as well as the FYI and Secret Service for soliciting murder of Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a sitting Supreme Court Justice!! Your days are numbered."

I'll let you know if any of these abusive perpetrators acknowledge their mistake and apologise...

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:12 am

B19 wrote:
Good God, we are not even safe from this kind of USA fanaticism and bullying way down here...

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeal ... naugh.html

Few Kiwis could imagine being caught up in the drama, but that's exactly what happened to North Shore teacher Samantha Ness.

"It did creep me out when people were starting to request friendship on Facebook and start to get into my life and then contacting my boss," she told Newshub.

Alarm bells started ringing when a message appeared on one of her public Facebook photos.

Ms Ness fobbed it off at first, but things got serious when an email was sent to her school principal.

"I hope and pray that you will not tolerate the behavior of Samantha Ness," it read. "Threatening lies because she disagrees with people; she should not be around children."

Another rolled in, simply reading: "You're fired!! ! !"

She soon found another in her own personal inbox, which said: "Low life. You need to lose your teaching job."

Then came a threat: "You have been reported to your School Director in Rosemount MN, as well as the FYI and Secret Service for soliciting murder of Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a sitting Supreme Court Justice!! Your days are numbered."

I'll let you know if any of these abusive perpetrators acknowledge their mistake and apologise...

Oh, bother. Global hooliganism is just around the next corner.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:55 am

Sounds like someone posting using the name Samantha Ness was writing stuff heinous enough to be reported to the FBI and the Secret Service. It's too bad that someone else got mistaken for that person. But that happens sometimes.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 9:03 am

In America, there have been many false identifications of people who shared their names with an actual perp.

Be outraged, but don't be surprised if the New Zealand Samantha is never allowed into the US again. There are plenty of cases where people who shared the name of someone else have been barred from entering the US.

There was an infamous case on Reddit a few years ago where people were mobilized to go after somebody who was thought to be a perp. The real guy was later caught.

Apart from the web, bogus claims have led to actual deaths.

After Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols' 1995 Oklahoma City federal building bombing, a Muslimah's home was mobbed by would-be lynchers after conspiracy nutter Steve Emerson widely claimed that Muslims did it and her anticipated soon-to-be-delivered baby died as a result.

See:

If Salaam had Lived: Reflections on the 20th Anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing

The real Samantha Ness is a special ed teacher in Rosemount, Minnesota, who just resigned.

Quote:
Ness, a teacher at Intermediate School District 917’s Alliance Education Center in Rosemount, later deleted all of her social media accounts, but the threatening tweet has been archived and preserved in screenshots.

Tweets from a Minnesota special education teacher calling for someone to kill Justice Kavanaugh. pic.twitter.com/HdtcVtRqLd
— Beth Baumann (@eb454) October 8, 2018

According to the district’s website, the center teaches students anywhere from ages 5-21 who suffer from autism, developmental cognitive disabilities, emotional behavior disorders, and other disabilities, giving them an “opportunity to work on academics as well as functional, transition, and social skills.”

The school district quickly placed Ness on administrative leave and the FBI has confirmed it’s investigating the incident, ABC affiliate KSTP reports. The Dakota County Sheriff’s Department is not involved because the tweet was sent from an address outside of its jurisdiction. On Tuesday, Fox affiliate KMSP reported that Ness opted to resign rather than wait for the district to make a decision about her teaching license.

Minnesota special-needs teacher resigns after tweeting request to ‘kill Kavanaugh’

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 9:14 am

EzraS wrote:
Sounds like someone posting using the name Samantha Ness was writing stuff heinous enough to be reported to the FBI and the Secret Service. It's too bad that someone else got mistaken for that person. But that happens sometimes.

So true. My name is very similar to that of someone on the U.S. Terrorist Watch List as well as the U.S. No-Fly List (not that your average teen-aged agent understands the nuance of a middle initial). Not wanting to be interrogated for three to six hours, and losing my flight (or other commercial travels), I opt instead for driving my car when I can.

One would think that, because I have received five U.S. Secret Service presidential body-proximity security clearances, a U.S. Department of State "secrets" advisory (gag order) and a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (which is flagged in less than 24 hours by the FBI if I so much as get a DUI), I could easily convince an agent of my ability to travel commercially, but I amn't sure, and haven't ever chanced it since April 2001.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 9:17 am

Just goes to show the intellectual capabilities of the more rabid fans of Kavanaugh.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 9:20 am

Fnord wrote:
Just goes to show the intellectual capabilities of the more rabid fans of Kavanaugh.

When I was in college, I joked about how the football players would seemingly always land jobs in insurance after they graduated. Now, I am beginning to think the frats weren't too far behind.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 10:32 am

Fnord wrote:

So if a person is "soliciting murder", being offended by that makes someone a rabid fan?

Last edited by EzraS on 11 Oct 2018, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 10:36 am

What a completely deceptive and phony subject line.

The actual news story headline is more accurate: "'Then I felt scared': NZ teacher Samantha Ness mistaken for woman who threatened Brett Kavanaugh."

Still more accurate would be: "NZ woman caught up in mistaken identity flap after MN teacher with same name calls for murder of US judge."

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 10:38 am

Darmok wrote:

The actual news story headline is more accurate: "'Then I felt scared': NZ teacher Samantha Ness mistaken for woman who threatened Brett Kavanaugh."

Still more accurate would be: "NZ woman caught up in mistaken identity flap after MN teacher with same name calls for murder of US judge."

Kavanaugh fans mistook her identity and sent her threatening e-mails. That's true. What you're aiming for is erasing that Kavanaugh's fans threatened an innocent woman. Why go to such lengths to avoid the threats being known, Darmok?

B19 wrote:

Another rolled in, simply reading: "You're fired!! ! !"

An actual bipartisan headline would read:

After Kavanaugh fans mistook an NZ woman for the MN teacher who threatened Brett, they sent her threatening e-mails.

Last edited by Spooky_Mulder on 11 Oct 2018, 10:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 10:40 am

Darmok wrote:

The idea is if anyone is bothered by that, then they must be a fanatic rabid fan of Kavanagh. Why can't you see the logic in such sound reasoning?

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Oct 2018, 4:20 pm

thoughtbeast, USA immigration really concerns me.

From personal experience, I know how erratic, rude and bullying USA immigration employees can be. They single out people at random from each incoming flight to take aside and subject to in-your-face aggressive "third degree" sort of stuff, as if they are copying thugs from old movies. This ugly trend will have accelerated I think in the years since my last visit. And it will be my last visit, unless I have to rescue my autie grandson who is still there playing basketball for a USA team.

He too has been singled out on re-entry and treated in a very confronting, rude and provocative way, and this particularly worries me, as his youth, inability to quickly adjust to unexpected aggression, and relative inexperience could trigger a meltdown to which these Immigration people could react in lethal ways - I suspect that because he looks so noticeably different - over 7 feet tall and shoulders like Hercules, avoids eye contact when stressed etc, he is in particular danger from some of the more thuggish immigration staff, even though he is a white person from New Zealand with valid papers. Given that he re-enters twice a year after visiting home for Christmas and mid-year, I stress out every time he returns until I receive the "all clear" message. It's harrowing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:24 pm

EzraS wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So if a person is "soliciting murder", being offended by that makes someone a rabid fan?
The person being harassed and threatened is not the same person who called for the death and castration of Kavanaugh's fans.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:49 pm

B19 wrote:
thoughtbeast, USA immigration really concerns me.

From personal experience, I know how erratic, rude and bullying USA immigration employees can be. They single out people at random from each incoming flight to take aside and subject to in-your-face aggressive "third degree" sort of stuff, as if they are copying thugs from old movies. This ugly trend will have accelerated I think in the years since my last visit. And it will be my last visit, unless I have to rescue my autie grandson who is still there playing basketball for a USA team.

He too has been singled out on re-entry and treated in a very confronting, rude and provocative way, and this particularly worries me, as his youth, inability to quickly adjust to unexpected aggression, and relative inexperience could trigger a meltdown to which these Immigration people could react in lethal ways - I suspect that because he looks so noticeably different - over 7 feet tall and shoulders like Hercules, avoids eye contact when stressed etc, he is in particular danger from some of the more thuggish immigration staff, even though he is a white person from New Zealand with valid papers. Given that he re-enters twice a year after visiting home for Christmas and mid-year, I stress out every time he returns until I receive the "all clear" message. It's harrowing.

If that was your experience in the United States, can you imagine what we go through here without much chance of leaving, however temporarily? Our governments (yes, of both political parties) are hell bent to squeeze blood from a turnip while financing wars worldwide. The bad news is that your grandson is a commodity, but a well-paid and well-protected commodity ... until he wants to leave briefly, or worse, quit.

Former Utah Jazz player, John Amaechi (who shares a mutual friend with me), had a great career going, but was "too smart" and "too gay" to be appreciated for his work. So, he tore up his contract and went back to England where he manages a foundation to teach basketball to kids. He loves it.

I hope your grandson has it better than John did.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Oct 2018, 4:57 pm

Thank you. Between the hurricanes, plenitude of weapons, the few gun-happy cops and bullies at immigration, exists my not groundless fears for his wellbeing. Sometimes it keeps me awake all night.