Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Lanceeselhombre
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2018, 8:33 am

I'm a very fidgety person, and I used to love stimming, biting things, flapping my hands, etc. But when I was younger my parents were always yelling at me for how annoying they were (and still today when I unconsciously stim in front of them.) Them being so mean about it has caused me to be afraid to stim when other people around, and it sucks when im upset or stressed because it just builds and I obsess because I can't distract myself or calm myself down.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Bether3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2018, 8:47 am

Lanceeselhombre wrote:
I'm a very fidgety person, and I used to love stimming, biting things, flapping my hands, etc. But when I was younger my parents were always yelling at me for how annoying they were (and still today when I unconsciously stim in front of them.) Them being so mean about it has caused me to be afraid to stim when other people around, and it sucks when im upset or stressed because it just builds and I obsess because I can't distract myself or calm myself down.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Yes. I tend to tap surfaces (with a pen or whatnot), and chew on my lip. My boyfriend will bring my attention to it and ask me to stop. I go to community college and some of the in person classes are three hours long... :| . I get super spaced out, fidgety and would love to have my fidget cube with me to cut through the sheer boredom and help me focus, but I too self conscious about it to do so.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2018, 12:23 pm

Stiming is something I prefer to do in private, but I wouldn't say I'm afraid to do. It's just that I know I am alienating people when I stim in front of them.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 11:44 pm

Of course, because that amd talking to myself or repeating words or phrases are the only obvious things that identify me on sight as "different. "

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2018, 7:41 pm

I was punished a bit in elementary skewl for stimming. I would rock or make low noises repeatedly. I just thought it was a bad habit that I needed to force myself to stop. I eventually learned not to do it in public much so then I started mostly doing that stuff when I was alone.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2018, 1:57 am

I freaking love my fidget cube. Like I just pop into a pocket in my backpack and just stim. I've never had someone give me crap for it, and if they did, I'd just try to do it in a more subtle way. So if you're self-conscious, just remember that everyone around you probably won't notice anyways. Because I have to do it in some form. If I'm not fidgeting with my cube, I tend to mess with my hair or a pen. I just have to do SOMETHING.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2018, 3:00 am

I generally try to avoid stimming in public, but if I can't I have subtle stims that I can do without anyone noticing. The more obvious stims I really try to suppress until I'm in private as I don't want to weird people out any more than I suspect that I already do.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

AQ38
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2018, 10:59 am

I remember noticing myself rocking back and forth the first time I ever smoked weed and thinking, "I'm glad nobody saw me doing that! They would think I was stimming like that autistic boy in the movie Son Rise!"

The last few days I've been noticing how many times I reflexively STOP myself from rocking, even in private, even though I have other reasons (grief), and even though I am completely alone.

I remember having more "tics" and uncontrollable physical weirdnessess during childhood and how bad the bullying was.

Clicking on the link for Stimtastic jewelry just made me think, "Oh cool! I want this and this and this and this and this...."

I'm glad things are better now. I don't want any of you to have the kind of life I did.

I'm so glad you can stim without being afraid.