GOP Candidate In Georgia Blocks 53,000 Voter Registrations

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:52 pm

https://www.salon.com/2018/10/11/georgia-republican-candidate-blocks-53000-voter-registrations-mostly-of-black-people/

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:54 pm

I miss the time when I would be surprised.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 4:58 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
I miss the time when I would be surprised.

Me too. :x

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm

Jim Crow 2.0

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 6:30 pm

Actually Jim Crow 3.0 or 4.0

2.0 was the War on Drugs, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Prohibition had racist origins.

Anarchy is looking better and better every day.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:30 am

The GOP recently tried to con Randolph County - a rural black county in Georgia - into closing 7 of its 9 voting centers, calling it "consolidation".

The GOP failed.

Lessons From a Botched Voter Suppression Scheme - A rural, majority-black Georgia county decided not to close most of its polling sites, thwarting one of many Republican efforts to game democracy

Quote:
Efforts to silence black and Hispanic voters will surely continue to be a Republican priority this November and beyond. Fourteen states instituted new restrictions in time for the 2016 election, and three more — Arkansas, Missouri and North Dakota — have since put voter-ID laws in place. The GOP will continue to do this as long as it stays beholden to policy that does the work of white supremacy, thereby repelling African American audiences in particular. Knowing that they can’t put up a platform that would win us over, people like Malone keep attempting to violate what should be American electoral norms. And why not? Without any functional legislation to protect voting rights, we are left to hope that we, too, have a Tommy Coleman, Michele Graham and J. Scott Peavy to maintain equal access to the ballot box.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:51 am

Politicians supressing voters and gerrymandering. I’m shocked, shocked.

If it was to the dems advantage to suppress voters that is exactly what they would do.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 5:29 am

Republicans may be about to steal an election in Georgia

Quote:
... So we may wind up in Georgia with the same situation we’ve seen over and over again. Republicans gain power, then enact a series of policies and laws to make it harder for Democrats to vote. Democrats undertake a herculean effort to register and turn out voters, but when subsequent elections are extremely close, it turns out that the Republican vote suppression efforts were enough to make the difference.

That could well happen in Georgia, where we could see the race decided by a few thousand votes and tens of thousands of legitimate voters kept from the polls. Abrams has based her strategy on registering and turning out as many Democratic voters as possible, including those who haven’t participated before. Kemp’s strategy involves being the most troglodytic Trumpite he can be — and using the powers of his office to put just enough of a thumb on the scale to ensure his victory.

If Kemp wins, Republicans around the country will celebrate it as further proof of the efficacy of their vote suppression strategy. And knowing that the Supreme Court is likely to endorse whatever new suppression tactics they come up with, they’ll move even more aggressively to restrict access to the ballot.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 6:14 am

Hey, consider me stupid but really confused.

First news article says GOP is aiming to. Second article states they failed. Third article states again they’re aiming to.

It reads as contradictory. Are these for different counties?

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 6:54 am

Spooky_Mulder wrote:

First news article says GOP is aiming to. Second article states they failed. Third article states again they’re aiming to.

The first and third articles refer to the statewide voter suppression by corrupt GOP governor candidate Brian Kemp.

Kemp, who is currently Georgia's secretary of state which puts him in charge of state elections, is trying to suppress the votes of blacks by requiring that their voter IDs be a 100% precise match with either their driver's licenses or socials. For example, if someone is missing a middle initial, that voter gets disqualified.

The second article is about a separate effort by the GOP to deprive rural voters in a predominantly black county of polling places in order to make it much more difficult for people in that county to vote. It is that effort that was defeated.

Kemp's effort to suppress 53,000 votes statewide is still ongoing and also needs to be defeated.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 8:47 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:

The first and third articles refer to the statewide voter suppression by corrupt GOP governor candidate Brian Kemp.

Kemp, who is currently Georgia's secretary of state which puts him in charge of state elections, is trying to suppress the votes of blacks by requiring that their voter IDs be a 100% precise match with either their driver's licenses or socials. For example, if someone is missing a middle initial, that voter gets disqualified.

The second article is about a separate effort by the GOP to deprive rural voters in a predominantly black county of polling places in order to make it much more difficult for people in that county to vote. It is that effort that was defeated.

Kemp's effort to suppress 53,000 votes statewide is still ongoing and also needs to be defeated.

Do you think the fact that his opponent, if elected, would be the first black woman to be a state governor, is a big factor.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 7:56 pm

if those fascists get the required number of states on board, a constitutional convention could well disenfranchise women and POC/LGBT, non-property owners and anybody else they can think of not just like their pasty white privileged selves, permanently. then it will be just America for themselves and everybody else not even a citizen.