Do get shut out of organizations, clubs and meetups often?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 11:00 am

I got shut out one meet-up group because I could not understand the boundaries of this one woman who didn't want anyone but her correcting her little girl. However, because she was not a good communicator, she was aggressive. She also happened to get close with leaders of that group and start running events. Everyone but me got invited and no one did anything to stop her.

I was also shut out of a traditional religious group because the leaders didn't agree with the fact that I am a Jew for Jesus. However, they invited me to their lunch and learns and let me join in there.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 4:21 pm

I got shut out of a university discussion group on a technicality. One of the expectations was that all members would contribute to the discussion. When it came to my turn to give an opinion, I told them that the topic we were discussing was so complex that I had not yet formed an opinion about it.

"So you choose to not contribute to this discussion." said the facilitator.

"No, I just haven't formed an opinion, so I have nothing to say yet."

"So you're not going to contribute."

"I will contribute when I have formed an opinion."

The discussion went back and forth like this, until the facilitator called for a break, invited me into the hallway, and told me that since I wasn't going to participate, then I should just leave.

I tried to explain to him again that the complexity of the topic made it impossible for me to form an opinion so quickly, but he cut me off and told me that I was violating the rules, and that he was dismissing me from the committee.

So I left.

To this day, I still don't understand what the heck we were discussing in the first place.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 8:10 pm

That was so wrong of them

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 8:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
I got shut out of a university discussion group on a technicality. One of the expectations was that all members would contribute to the discussion. When it came to my turn to give an opinion, I told them that the topic we were discussing was so complex that I had not yet formed an opinion about it.

"So you choose to not contribute to this discussion." said the facilitator.

"No, I just haven't formed an opinion, so I have nothing to say yet."

"So you're not going to contribute."

"I will contribute when I have formed an opinion."

The discussion went back and forth like this, until the facilitator called for a break, invited me into the hallway, and told me that since I wasn't going to participate, then I should just leave.

I tried to explain to him again that the complexity of the topic made it impossible for me to form an opinion so quickly, but he cut me off and told me that I was violating the rules, and that he was dismissing me from the committee.

So I left.

To this day, I still don't understand what the heck we were discussing in the first place.

Ohhh, boy! The Delphi Method rises its ugly head again. They are those who restrict free speech (or independent non-speech) to agree with them, only to conclude that the entirety of the group has reached agreement because no one declined going along with "Idea A." This method is quite dangerous. It borders on cultism, in my opinion. If you experience it, RUN, and don't look back.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 8:29 pm

this discussion club thing sounds just too ret*d to even be trolling. tho of cause it was trolling. then again, there are 2 infinite things, idiocy and the universe. and the latter isnt sure. still. sounds just too dumb to be serious. im sorry u had to get thru it. tho i'd get up after a round or 2 and say okay, im getting out of here xD

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 3:54 pm

Never happened to me but I'm only na member of one recreational club - the local chess club, and I think a few of them are Aspergians themselves.