No truthful multiple choice option available...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2018, 4:08 pm

I get really stressed when, in a form, or on an automated phone service, there's no option I can honestly pick. It forces me to lie and pick something not true or to try to break or circumvent the system, or (in phone calls) press the number 5 repeatedly until a person comes on the line.

On the "Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs" phone line, the automated robot woman gets me so upset I melt down several times over several days before I can get to a person to sort out my tax. Then when I do get to talk to someone I am so stressed and near the edge of being able to manage that I can hardly talk at all.

Anyone else hate multiple choices without a "catch all" option?

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 4:31 pm

I don't feel as strongly as you do, but yes, it does my head in. To the point that sometimes I refuse to use such services altogether.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2018, 8:05 pm

I've run into some automated multiple-choice phone systems that were just a nightmare. No selection that is remotely like what I need, no option to speak to an actual person, finally getting forwarded to another system only to have the call drop after five minutes of fruitlessly ringing... :skull: And yet somehow NTs use the system easily without a second thought...

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 8:49 pm

I think if I'm doing a survey or something I usually end up taking much longer than most people because I have to explain to the person giving the survey what my answers mean and why it's not quite the same as what I'm choosing.
:)

A bit off topic, but I also think that waiting on hold, even with speakerphone or a callback option is harder for me than most people because I have to constantly be ready to talk at a moment's notice for an extended period of time, resulting in me starting from a point of stress when I actually get through to a person.

I'm wondering whether NTs might be better at waiting on hold because they are better at multitasking and being able to switch mental sets when being on hold ends and a person finally answers.