Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 10:04 am

SaveFerris wrote:
It's not as bad as it was , learning that I may have schiz OCD has been very helpful. I have good and bad days but we all have s**t to deal with , 99% of the troubles people have here make me feel like I'm lucky.

Yeah it's the same with me and my Bipolar Disorder type 1. Realizing how lucky I am to have a supportive mother has made me feel a lot better because so many people who suffer from mental illness don't have any support. It's really sad. :(

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 10:11 am

We are 2nd class citizens in most areas of life

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 10:19 am

SaveFerris wrote:
We are 2nd class citizens in most areas of life

Yup, and in the old days they locked people like us away like animals and treated us worse than they did criminals in prison. :(

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 12:37 pm

Dying doesn't frighten me. What frightens me is a homeless guy I once met. When his wife got sick he spent and sold everything he had to care for her, quit his job to care for her; who else was going to? After the modern American health care system had thoroughly wrung him out and extracted everything from him but the marrow of his bones, she died. A very nice guy; I liked him, but all hollowed out inside; like the shell of a burned-out building so long after the fire that even the ashes are gone. Not an alcoholic, not mentally ill, just completely used up; a hollow, empty shell. There's not a shadow of doubt in my mind that if we were down to our last slice of bread, my mate would feed it to me, taking none for herself.

What frightens me is the financial devastation. Due to the high costs of dying in America, the Social Security Administration estimates that widows are four times more likely to live in poverty than married women. 49% of foreclosures and 62% of bankruptcies are directly caused by medical bills. She is now my de facto and unpaid 24/7 caregiver, and the fact that I can do nothing to provide for her future (or at least mitigate the impending disaster) is a major issue for me.

What frightens me are the survivors I've met; exhausted and consumed by shame for silently hoping as they walk into a modern American health care facility that their Beloved has died, concealing bitter disappointment to find them still suffering, and overwhelmed by guilt to find that they're actually relieved when the love of their life finally stops breathing. I've known people to carry that secret pain deep inside for years afterward.

What frightens me is the confusion and cognitive difficulties I'm experiencing. My brother-in-law died of cancer, including inoperable mets of the brain. After he died, credit card bills started arriving; it seemed that in the final year he'd led a double life, engaging in some uncharacteristic and sordid behavior. This shocked my sister and caused quite a bit of sympathetic consternation among my siblings, until my Dad observed; “How horrible it would be to have a disease that not only robs you of your life, but of your families respect, esteem, and good memories of you.”

What frightens me is memory. I remember my 87-year-old aunt; she didn't want everyone's last memory of her to be an open casket; her casket was closed, with a framed photograph of her costumed as 'Queen of the May' from her college days; young, healthy, happy. I've known so many people, bedridden and warehoused months, years, in the modern American health care system, their contractures straightened out by the snipping of tendons, lying in a sh***y diaper in a Bedlam that reeks of ancient septic urine and the decaying flesh of decubitus ulcers, granuloma of the gastrostoma, chronic UTI, aphasically moaning through cracked dried lips at the ceiling in terror, or horror, or pain, lying awake at night listening to their roommate do the same; someone screaming down the hall. I've seen people stiffly decerebrate, the grinding of their teeth their only way to express their excruciating pain. In their lucid moments I've heard people begging and pleading to die. I absolutely do not want to experience that, and I absolutely do not want that to be my Beloved's last memories of me; seared indelibly into her consciousness.

I'm not concerned with dying, but the way we go about it in America frightens the hell out of me.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:41 pm

Piobaire wrote:
Dying doesn't frighten me. What frightens me is a homeless guy I once met. When his wife got sick he spent and sold everything he had to care for her, quit his job to care for her; who else was going to? After the modern American health care system had thoroughly wrung him out and extracted everything from him but the marrow of his bones, she died. A very nice guy; I liked him, but all hollowed out inside; like the shell of a burned-out building so long after the fire that even the ashes are gone. Not an alcoholic, not mentally ill, just completely used up; a hollow, empty shell. There's not a shadow of doubt in my mind that if we were down to our last slice of bread, my mate would feed it to me, taking none for herself.

What frightens me is the financial devastation. Due to the high costs of dying in America, the Social Security Administration estimates that widows are four times more likely to live in poverty than married women. 49% of foreclosures and 62% of bankruptcies are directly caused by medical bills. She is now my de facto and unpaid 24/7 caregiver, and the fact that I can do nothing to provide for her future (or at least mitigate the impending disaster) is a major issue for me.

What frightens me are the survivors I've met; exhausted and consumed by shame for silently hoping as they walk into a modern American health care facility that their Beloved has died, concealing bitter disappointment to find them still suffering, and overwhelmed by guilt to find that they're actually relieved when the love of their life finally stops breathing. I've known people to carry that secret pain deep inside for years afterward.

What frightens me is the confusion and cognitive difficulties I'm experiencing. My brother-in-law died of cancer, including inoperable mets of the brain. After he died, credit card bills started arriving; it seemed that in the final year he'd led a double life, engaging in some uncharacteristic and sordid behavior. This shocked my sister and caused quite a bit of sympathetic consternation among my siblings, until my Dad observed; “How horrible it would be to have a disease that not only robs you of your life, but of your families respect, esteem, and good memories of you.”

What frightens me is memory. I remember my 87-year-old aunt; she didn't want everyone's last memory of her to be an open casket; her casket was closed, with a framed photograph of her costumed as 'Queen of the May' from her college days; young, healthy, happy. I've known so many people, bedridden and warehoused months, years, in the modern American health care system, their contractures straightened out by the snipping of tendons, lying in a sh***y diaper in a Bedlam that reeks of ancient septic urine and the decaying flesh of decubitus ulcers, granuloma of the gastrostoma, chronic UTI, aphasically moaning through cracked dried lips at the ceiling in terror, or horror, or pain, lying awake at night listening to their roommate do the same; someone screaming down the hall. I've seen people stiffly decerebrate, the grinding of their teeth their only way to express their excruciating pain. In their lucid moments I've heard people begging and pleading to die. I absolutely do not want to experience that, and I absolutely do not want that to be my Beloved's last memories of me; seared indelibly into her consciousness.

I'm not concerned with dying, but the way we go about it in America frightens the hell out of me.

What really worries me about all of that is that things seem to be getting worse and not better. And anytime somebody tries to make the effort to fix it they get immediately shot down.

I mean wtf?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:47 pm

Probably two things more or less equally and in no particular order:

- messing up my kid's lives if my parenting ends up being subpar.

- getting Alzheimer's, Dementia or JCD and either having people abuse or neglect me as I'm out of my mind.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 2:10 pm

Magna wrote:

- getting Alzheimer's, Dementia or JCD and either having people abuse or neglect me as I'm out of my mind.

My grandfather has Alzheimer's and it has completely destroyed him. It makes me feel really sad to watch him in a nursing home and I hope I never get it when I become elderly.

I can't even imagine how I would feel if my Mama had Alzheimer's or Dementia.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 3:06 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Magna wrote:

My grandfather has Alzheimer's and it has completely destroyed him. It makes me feel really sad to watch him in a nursing home and I hope I never get it when I become elderly.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I have a grandmother that died of Alzheimer's. My Mom died in the hospital of cancer in January. I have a sister-in-law who died in hospice from cancer a few years ago and a father-in-law who died in a nursing home about a year ago. Out of the three, a nursing home is a nightmare personified. An enclosure in which most of those grouped together are waiting to die. A house of the dying and the dead.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

Magna wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Magna wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I have a grandmother that died of Alzheimer's. My Mom died in the hospital of cancer in January. I have a sister-in-law who died in hospice from cancer a few years ago and a father-in-law who died in a nursing home about a year ago. Out of the three, a nursing home is a nightmare personified. An enclosure in which most of those grouped together are waiting to die. A house of the dying and the dead.

I'm really sorry to hear about that. I think growing old must really suck because it brings you closer and closer to death. And not just that but you lose control of what's left of your life too. :cry:

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

17 Oct 2018, 10:32 pm

Honestly what scares me the most is eventually developing Alzheimer's or something and the way the world seems to be headed. Not to editorialize or anything, but I'm truly afraid when I see Nazis marching in the streets across the globe. Because I know they would exterminate me and everyone I know, along with every person who isn't NT they could get their hands on.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 8:27 am

Getting lost, stranded, abandoned.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 8:36 am

jamthis12 wrote:
Honestly what scares me the most is eventually developing Alzheimer's or something and the way the world seems to be headed. Not to editorialize or anything, but I'm truly afraid when I see Nazis marching in the streets across the globe. Because I know they would exterminate me and everyone I know, along with every person who isn't NT they could get their hands on.

I don't think it's right to say that they would kill anybody who isn't NT. Most of the people targeted by Nazis were also Neurotypicals.

Nazis would basically either kill or hurt anybody who isn't 100% white. They're a white supremacist group. I don't know how they would feel about non-NTs in their own group (they probably wouldn't think too highly of them either) but they would also antagonize NTs who were Jewish or Black or belonged to any other race.

PhilipCain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2018, 8:48 am

My biggest fear is to achieve nothing in my life, I don’t know why, but this is very scary for me

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 8:56 am

Another thing I fear is our government collapsing which would mean I no longer get disability checks or Medicaid.

How would I survive if I am unable to work? :?

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2018, 11:03 am

Dying
Far right gaining hold of the government

flibbit
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2018, 12:09 pm

1. Dying some horribly painful, prolonged, and horrific death. Like... in the middle of an ocean, and being eaten by some long-extinct gigantic marine reptile. (Very realistic this one, but you did ask. :lol: )

More immediate and likely fears:

2. Vomiting (especially at night, when the dark makes me feel even more trapped)
3. Blood draws

"There are surely other worlds than this -- other thoughts than the thoughts of the multitude -- other speculations than the speculations of the sophist. Who then shall call thy conduct into question? who blame thee for thy visionary hours, or denounce those occupations as the wasting away of life, which were but the overflowings of thine everlasting energies?" ~The Assignation, Edgar Allan Poe.