Am I the only one who is bothered by the term "Mama's Boy"?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 9:59 am

Fnord wrote:
I found this while looking for more Bridezilla articles. See Rule #6. Enjoy!

Source: This Article.

I like that! :D A lot. :mrgreen:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 4:15 pm

I'm a real "mama's girl", but no one seems bothered by it. Except maybe my dad. :)

But I don't get why it's okay to be a "Daddy's girl". Most people find it cute when a girl loves her dad and the dad loves her back and does things with her. And in media it's the dad who is overprotective of his daughter and will literally kick any teenage boy who does anything he even slightly doesn't approve of out of the house.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 5:36 pm

My brothers NEVER let me forget it. I’m the firstborn, and a bastard (in the literal sense of the word). I was conceived (like my brothers always rub my nose in it) in order for mom to get out from the grip of her drunken, abusive father. As a matter of fact, they accused me of causing Mom to die. And they wonder why I went no contact...

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 6:02 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm a real "mama's girl", but no one seems bothered by it. Except maybe my dad. :)

But I don't get why it's okay to be a "Daddy's girl". Most people find it cute when a girl loves her dad and the dad loves her back and does things with her. And in media it's the dad who is overprotective of his daughter and will literally kick any teenage boy who does anything he even slightly doesn't approve of out of the house.

I know this is sexist but I think it's because traditionally people have never seen anything wrong with a girl relying on her father (or mother) for support. In the old days women were not allowed to work to support themselves so her finances and her living situation depended entirely on either her husband or her father. "Spinsters" which were unmarried women who could not find a husband and still lived at home with their parents or siblings were a very common and acceptable thing.

I think for boys on the other hand it's considered shameful and unmanly for him to still depend on his mother (or both parents) because a "real man" should be able to work hard and support himself or his own family. People don't really care if a woman is unable to be independent but men are under a lot more pressure by society to prove their worth.

But people seem to think it's nice for a boy to have a close relationship with his father, but having a close relationship with his mother is really looked down apon.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 7:52 pm

Well...only a few years ago Cosmo (no less) had an article entitle "Why We Love Mama's Boys".

So if Cosmo endorse Mamas boys as dating partners for it readership I wouldn't mind the label.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:00 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
I’m the firstborn, and a bastard (in the literal sense of the word).

bastard firstborn here too

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:29 pm

I'm not exactly a "bastard" but my mom and dad divorced shortly after I was born and he never helped raise me, so I guess it's kind of the same thing as being a bastard.

Except a bastard is born out of two people having a child when they aren't married I think.

Yeah I have a close relationship with my Mama because I never actually had a good father figure in my life. All of the men she ever married were disappointments. :mrgreen:

Edit: I'm also the first born.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Oct 2018, 6:16 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

It might be because there's a stereotype that girls who don't have fathers or have fathers who don't treat them well, have serious "daddy issues" & other mental problems

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 8:28 am

nick007 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

It might be because there's a stereotype that girls who don't have fathers or have fathers who don't treat them well, have serious "daddy issues" & other mental problems

Yeah and that's kind of like how people think that a boy who is too close with his mother and still depends on her has mental problems.

I've seen a lot of crime shows on TV about a male killer who has a controlling mother who either manipulates him into committing crimes or drives him into committing crimes.

So basically if a girl is crazy it's her father's fault and if a boy is crazy it's his mother's fault. :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 8:37 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
... I've seen a lot of crime shows on TV about a male killer who has a controlling mother who either manipulates him into committing crimes or drives him into committing crimes...
Even if she's dead...

Article on Norman Bates.

Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in "Psycho".

Last edited by Fnord on 16 Oct 2018, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 8:38 am

Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
... I've seen a lot of crime shows on TV about a male killer who has a controlling mother who either manipulates him into committing crimes or drives him into committing crimes...
Even if she's dead...

Article on Norman Bates.

Yup exactly.

Psycho is one of my favorite movies btw. :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

^ have you seen the series , Freddie Highmore is awesome in it

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 9:12 am

SaveFerris wrote:
^ have you seen the series , Freddie Highmore is awesome in it

I think I saw one episode of The Bates Motel but I decided I liked the Alfred Hitchcock movie better.

I actually felt sorry for poor Normon. The real Normon seemed like a nice guy who was a bit awkward but when the personality of his abusive mother took over his mind he became a killer.

He really was just suffering from a mental illness and I couldn't help but pity him because I felt that the "old woman" going around killing people wasn't the real Normon. :(

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 9:21 am

I could see Denis Istomin's mom keeping a Russian translation of that "Rules List." Number Eight particularly applies.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 9:31 am

Fathers think that nobody is ever good enough for their little girls, Mothers think that nobody is ever good enough for either of their babies. :P

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:44 pm

The only reason why people feel a type of way about momma's boys is because no woman wants to feel like she has to compete for a guys attention with his mother. Mostly guys of single mothers tend to be like this where you have to compete for his time against his mom and that's not a very comforting feeling to have.

TW1ZTY wrote:
Fathers think that nobody is ever good enough for their little girls, Mothers think that nobody is ever good enough for either of their babies. :P

This is definitely true and I'm kinda living through this experience ... xD