Am I the only one who is bothered by the term "Mama's Boy"?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 9:13 am

People often use that term as an insult for a boy or a man who has a close relationship with his mother. It's as if they are saying that it is somehow shameful for a boy to love his mother and want to take care of her and protect her. TV shows even seem to imply that men who do this are crazy and that it leads them into commiting crimes which I think is stupid.

I mean what is so wrong about that? A good mother takes care of her children, makes sacrifices for them, and loves them no matter what so I think she deserves a little loyalty in return. There shouldn't be anything wrong with a son loving his mother and showing concern for her feelings after everything she has done for him.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 9:15 am

I'm a mummy's boy

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 9:20 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I'm a mummy's boy

Same here. :D

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 9:22 am

Denis Istomin has been described as a "Mama's Boy," because he is trained by his mother, Klaudiya Istomina. He doesn't fit the negative stereotype that phrase implies. He is very close to his entire family and always speaks positively of his relationship with both of his parents. He credits his mother for giving him the inspiration to continue playing after a serious car accident nearly ended his career.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 9:31 am

In many (if not most) countries, varying degrees of filial piety is considered the mark of a well-mannered person.
No; I wouldn't be bothered. Anyone whose opinion I value would not maliciously try to insult me or hurt my feelings, and anyone who would maliciously try to insult me or hurt my feelings has conclusively demonstrated beyond the shadow of a doubt that their opinion isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.

Last edited by Piobaire on 14 Oct 2018, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 9:38 am

IstominFan wrote:
Denis Istomin has been described as a "Mama's Boy," because he is trained by his mother, Klaudiya Istomina. He doesn't fit the negative stereotype that phrase implies. He is very close to his entire family and always speaks positively of his relationship with both of his parents. He credits his mother for giving him the inspiration to continue playing after a serious car accident nearly ended his career.

I love my Mom very much and I'm very loyal to her. I know I sometimes say mean things about her when I am angry and upset but in the end I know that she is the only person in the whole world who really gives a damn about me. I never had a father figure who hung around to take care of me and nobody else in my whole family ever stepped in to help us out so she really was all I ever had.

She's the one who went the extra mile to help me when I was going manic despite the horrible things I had done and she helped me when I was diagnosed with Aspergers as a kid. If it wasn't for her I know that by now I would either be homeless, in jail, or possibly dead.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 1:14 pm

It is very much the same for me. If not for the support of both my parents, I probably wouldn't have been alive today. I also have friends who care about me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 5:47 pm

The term “Mamma’s boy” means more then loving your mother. It is a pejoritive meaning the person being described as such is not sufficiantly independent.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 6:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The term “Mamma’s boy” means more then loving your mother. It is a pejoritive meaning the person being described as such is not sufficiantly independent.

And that still isn't very nice in my opinion. Some people can't help it if they are unable to be independent and they have to depend on their mothers.

In fact because it focuses on the word "Mama" and not "Daddy" it pretty much insults the mother implying that it is somehow her fault that her son can't break away from her.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Oct 2018, 9:31 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with it but it can sometimes be a problem for the guy like it is for Cledus T Judd :arrow:

Some women thought of me as a mamma's boy just cuz I was living with my parents due to being disabled. I NEVER had a good realtionship with my mom. She's been very critical of my issues & I hated living with her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 11:22 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

And that still isn't very nice in my opinion. Some people can't help it if they are unable to be independent and they have to depend on their mothers.

In fact because it focuses on the word "Mama" and not "Daddy" it pretty much insults the mother implying that it is somehow her fault that her son can't break away from her.

Dude...you're not understanding what he said!

He said "its a perjorative". A "perjoriative" means "insult".

Your response to him shows that you don't understand that, and think that he was saying that the phrase is not an insult, when in fact he was saying that it is MORE of an insult than you thought.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 1:08 am

naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Your response to him shows that you don't understand that, and think that he was saying that the phrase is not an insult, when in fact he was saying that it is MORE of an insult than you thought.

I don’t mean to be that guy, but it’s spelled pejorative.

...Sorry, that was bugging me. Have a pleasant day. :jester:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:56 am

I think there is a difference between a parent who works with a son (or daughter) to assist in success, as Denis Istomin's mom did, and a helicopter parent who does everything for a child and never allows that child to do anything or redoes anything that child tries to do, rather than giving advice on how to correct a mistake. There are two sure ways to ruin a child. One is obviously to be completely absent from their lives, which makes someone feel worthless. The second is to do everything for the child, which allows them to stay in a childlike state forever.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 9:07 am

naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

:doh:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 9:29 am

I found this while looking for more Bridezilla articles. See Rule #6. Enjoy!

Source: This Article.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 9:42 am

I was called this and it did bother me. People do not use the term Mama's Boy in a positive way; they use it to try and hurt you and insult you. I feel this is a negative aspect of having autism.