Column for segregating certain autistics mainstream classes

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 12:15 am

Illusions of Inclusion in Special Education for Autism Educational inclusion needs to be treated like a method, not a civil right - Dr. Bryna Siegel

Quote:
We are spending about 2.25 times as much per special education pupil as for each general education pupil, but with methods that are not yielding very encouraging long-term results: In the last 10 years, overall numbers in special education have increased 30%, and use of autism as a child’s qualifying classification has risen 165%. Nevertheless, expenditures on autism special education result in little bang for the buck—as most with autism end up living at home and with few or no employment prospects as adults. How might we do better by these children?

Of special concern here is the popular use of educational inclusion—placing pupils with autism in general education classes. While Americans embrace all sort of inclusion, desegregation, gender equality, and the need for public access for the physically disabled—arguably, educational inclusion of many children with autism is not cut from the same civil rights ‘cloth.’ Many children with autism have more behavior incompatible with instruction, and so many master educational content more slowly, and often only with use of special methods not included in the training of general education teachers.

When pupils with Individual Education Plans (IEPs) for autism receive an inclusive education they are often substantially deprived of the benefit of a credentialed special education teachers and of a classroom milieu with special education supports naturally embedded in it. Instead, the use of 1:1 paraprofessional aides for fully included pupils with autism, a commonly requested accommodation available through the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) can essentially relegate the included pupil to a second-class special education from a very minimally trained paraprofessional—while the general education teacher understandably applies her expertise to focus on the typically 25-30 other pupils in her class that don’t have IEPs or a 1:1 aide.

Much inclusive education takes place in chronological age/ grade level classrooms, but many included pupils with autism are not as close to academic grade levels as their general education peers.

At the same time, research shows that disruptive special education pupils placed inclusively have been associated with negative ‘spillover effects’ for the general education pupils in their classes: These general education pupils are at risk for higher rates of absenteeism, lower reading and math scores, accruing as their general education teachers work with pupils with IEPs, and spend more time overall dealing with behavior management, restarting and repeating instruction, going more slowly, and having less time for instruction overall.

What should be done instead that might more comprehensively and cost-effectively benefit both special and general education pupils? First is using inclusive placement only when a special education pupil is developmentally ‘in reach’ of what the teacher is teaching classmates so that pupil can access and benefit from the expertise his general education teacher has, rather than having to depend on a paraprofessional aide to learn. Second is to address socialization goals for pupils with autism outside of instructional time—during lunchtime, recess, after care, organized sports and clubs, playground and neighborhood time—not when doing so may end up depriving both special education and general education pupils of the education all parents hope their children can receive.

Call me cynical but I would think if the autistics are excluded from classes the money will not be found “to address socialization goals” in non classroom time.

I also think that we need to require prospective teachers to have knowledge of how to teach neurodiverse students before they are licenced.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman