thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 2:06 am

JDintheQuietCorner wrote:
The Cherokee Nation tribe isn’t taking too kindly to Ms. Warren’s claims:

http://amp.kjrh.com/2948480746/cherokee ... sults.html

Quote:
It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is proven. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage."

- Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin, Jr.

Actually the Cherokee Nation isn't taking too well to Trump's "Pocahontas" mocking of Elizabeth Warren, either.

Quote:
Since Hoskin brought up Donald Trump, who refers to Warren as “Pocahontas” to disparage her ancestry claims, Tapper asked him what he thinks about the president’s insults.

“She doesn’t deserve it,” Hoskins said, and he continued to say that neither Trump nor Warren have been helpful by perpetuating their feud with each other.

Cherokee Nation Spox Bashes Trump, Warren Over DNA Squabble: ‘We Want Leadership,’ Not ‘Name-Calling’

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 2:23 am

Unsurprisingly, Trump dishonored himself - as usual - by refusing to cut a check for $1 million to the Indigenous Women’s Resource Center as he had promised. This was the charity designated by Elizabeth Warren when she proved her Native American ancestry.

Now the perp is actually demanding to run a DNA test on Elizabeth Warren - by himself!

There is no limit to the depths of Trump's depravity.

Trump insists Elizabeth Warren 'owes the country an apology' as Cherokee Nation says using DNA test to prove sliver of American Indian blood is 'inappropriate and wrong' – and president will write $1 million charity check only 'if I can test her personally'

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 3:45 am

I listened to what trump said. And what he said was that he would make the donation if... she takes a test that proves she's "an Indian".

The test did not prove she is an Indian.

People get pissed off when I state what trump actually said, and claim I'm defending him. No, I'm just pointing out what he actually said.

And if that test did proove she's "an Indian". Then there must be just as many or even more white people who are Indians, than there are actual Indians.

And instead of putting the focus on herself, her accomplishments and abilities as a senator, she is putting the focus Donald Trump. Which is the same mistake Hillary made.

As the primaries get nearer, instead of hearing about the democrat candidates and what they have to offer, I'm expecting instead to keep hearing all about Trump and the GOP.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 5:27 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I still remain sceptical that such a seemingly vast number of white people had a Cherokee ancestor.

My guess is most people who think they do were told that by a parent or grandparent who were also told that and so on generation to generation. Pssst you're part Cherokee, pass it on.

I bet no one knows the name of their Cherokee ancestor, when and where they were born, when/where they died etc. It's just some unknown ancestor.

Warren doesn't seem to know any specifics and was just basically going by family folklore.

What do you base that on, other than a gut reaction?

It's just an opinion for now. As far as Warren goes she said she knows about it based on tales from her relatives. If she knew for sure, she would say who her Cherokee ancestor is. The whole science of geology is pretty extensive so it should be doable.

I'm currently researching the phenomenon.

Not necessarily if there has been enough passage of time for memories to fade.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 5:37 am

EzraS wrote:
I can't be the only one who's heard umpteen white people say they are part Cherokee. It's always part Cherokee for some reason.

Where I live, it seems to be mostly Chippewa/Ojibwa. Especially if they also have French ancestry.

Last edited by SabbraCadabra on 16 Oct 2018, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 5:38 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I still remain sceptical that such a seemingly vast number of white people had a Cherokee ancestor.

My guess is most people who think they do were told that by a parent or grandparent who were also told that and so on generation to generation. Pssst you're part Cherokee, pass it on.

I bet no one knows the name of their Cherokee ancestor, when and where they were born, when/where they died etc. It's just some unknown ancestor.

Warren doesn't seem to know any specifics and was just basically going by family folklore.

It's just an opinion for now. As far as Warren goes she said she knows about it based on tales from her relatives. If she knew for sure, she would say who her Cherokee ancestor is. The whole science of geology is pretty extensive so it should be doable.

Is ancestry that's so faded really of any significance?

A great uncle did an extensive genealogy of my father's side of the family that trased it back to a royal family. Big flucking deal. I'm sure that family has a zillion extremely distant relatives. I bet you and I are cousins 99 times removed.

This is a pretty funny video on the subject:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:01 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Is ancestry that's so faded really of any significance?

A great uncle did an extensive genealogy of my father's side of the family that trased it back to a royal family. Big flucking deal. I'm sure that family has a zillion extremely distant relatives. I bet you and I are cousins 99 times removed.

I think everyone wants to find out where they came from. Nothing wrong with that.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:00 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I think everyone wants to find out where they came from. Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with it at all. I'm a history buff, so I love the whole genealogy workup my father's uncle put together. It think it's cool that there's a distant connection to a royal family. But I think it would be absurd of me to say I have royal blood.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:14 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I can't be the only one who's heard umpteen white people say they are part Cherokee. It's always part Cherokee for some reason.

Where I live, it seems to be mostly Chippewa/Ojibwa. Especially if they also have French ancestry.

I think what startd me on this kick was hearing two students and two teachers mentioning they were part Cherokee.

And then sometime after at school someone had posted a flyer for a crafts festival being held at the Paiute reservation. And it had a list of don'ts. One if which was "Please do not pester the vendors by telling them that you are 1/12 Cher-o-kee Indian". And I laughed because I figured they hear that all the time and they're sick to death of it. I don't know if I got the wording exactly right, but I do remember the word Cherokee being broken up probably because it gets pronounced wrong.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:38 am

As a side note based on a couple of comments that have been made about me, I can't afford to to be a racist since my extended family here are of mixed race. I have one set of 1st cousins who are part African American. And another set who are half Hispanic and part black, because my aunt is Dominican with some some Haitian. And then there's my number one 1st cousin who I was raised with who's about 30% Japanese and 10% Indonesian, and we are like brothers. I figure racism probably runs in families and it's pretty obvious mine doesn't have a problem with people of color.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 11:28 am

EzraS wrote:
As a side note based on a couple of comments that have been made about me, I can't afford to to be a racist since my extended family here are of mixed race. I have one set of 1st cousins who are part African American. And another set who are half Hispanic and part black, because my aunt is Dominican with some some Haitian. And then there's my number one 1st cousin who I was raised with who's about 30% Japanese and 10% Indonesian, and we are like brothers. I figure racism probably runs in families and it's pretty obvious mine doesn't have a problem with people of color.

I have relatives that are part black. I think it is 1/16 or 1/32 so they really don't look like it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 4:39 pm

EzraS wrote:

Coffee and Cigarettes, that's a great movie.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:29 pm

Can anyone with an extremely small possibility of having an extremely small percentage of Native or Central American ancestry obtain college scholarships for minorities? I am not making this up that my Mom told me that her mother, my maternal grandmother, had Native American ancestry somewhere in her family tree. Not so far removed though that without a bit of research the ancestor couldn't be identified is the way I understood it. Does that mean if I chose to go back to college I could apply for full ride minority scholarships? If not, why not? Serious question.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 9:36 pm

Magna wrote:
Can anyone with an extremely small possibility of having an extremely small percentage of Native or Central American ancestry obtain college scholarships for minorities? I am not making this up that my Mom told me that her mother, my maternal grandmother, had Native American ancestry somewhere in her family tree. Not so far removed though that without a bit of research the ancestor couldn't be identified is the way I understood it. Does that mean if I chose to go back to college I could apply for full ride minority scholarships? If not, why not? Serious question.

In my state of Michigan, it's "(1/4) Native American blood quantum" and you qualify for free college.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdcr ... 0018_7.pdf

Growing up I always wondered why my grandma "looked weird". Later, I found out her grandma was full Native American.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 12:16 am

It depends on the tribe.
https://www.powwows.com/much-percentage ... rol-tribe/

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:34 am

"Warren actually posses range from 1/64th to a whopping 1/1024th. Which, um, ain't a lot"
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/16/politics ... index.html