Opinions About Being Considered 'The Boring One'

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 10:27 am

Tedious, banal, uneventful, unstimulating-- those are words which I prefer not only for their precision in description but b/c how it comes off as less offensive than 'dull' which is less offensive than the word 'boring' which along with the word 'ugly' is one of the most uncompromising ways to indicate rejection/shaming in my mind.

Those adjectives alone can be analyzed in some intricate and convoluted way which if not painfully laborious to some than enjoyably laborious to some and that by itself can be see as a 'make or break' litmus test as to at what intellectual threshold does a person lapse into a kind of despair which can be described as 'emptiness with an insistence'.

'Maturing' into adult life can be deceptively simple in terms of how it's expressed: be born, befriend, do well at labour investment process centres/school and work, marry and help repeating with near family--very little between the lines of mention of the authentic effort and time it takes to gather the mass amounts energy to pull this off well, let alone what the landscape of an 'internal world' can become like for a person while trying to pull this off-- to me, mindfulness is invaluably antithetical to boredom b/c of this.

For me I would like to think that it's: be born, survive investment process centres/school and work, attain a living space of my own and be less ashamed with continued intellectual and artistic exploration which never really expressed itself b/c of how steadily dampened my learning ability became over time and remain comfortably indeterminate if marrying and a family isn't pulled.

What is so often shaming to bring up is how demonized those who don't socialize typically/ 'have a (social) life' can become and 'acceptable' society pretends not much beyond tokenism that there is no such real thing as a myriad of valid reasons not the least related to health which can put someone in this position.

Deadly still is thinking that 'acceptable normalacy' is the 'bus-stop' for self-improving being instead of merely a starting point b/c of how 'dissolution of the self' only can securely begins once mass displacement of psychopathologies has been reached and yes there is such a thing as healthy non non-secular value theory which one can base such a notion on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpoKbwNp9pE .

I know how it is a dangerously unsuspecting precursor to addiction and depression, the former I am familiar with and the latter I have become familiar with how others have graciously expressed about it. There is a h--- of a lot which could be said about intentionality and indeterminacy when a person says there bored, not the least of it's connection to a form of self-destruction which might veer on something like this https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... AllSuicide .

Part of this posting viewtopic.php?t=369263 connect to this; I'm doing this posting without a certain 'The Aesthetics of Boredom. Lithuanian Photography 1980 - 1990' book which I enjoyed esp. for it's first ~90 pages.

I'm resisting going on a tangent about classism and media when I say how most 'acceptable' depictions of life are based on depictions of what ppl crave to see, particularly 'successful' hyper-extroverts, an image which is depicted as so ubiquitous that it can trigger a person's anger to get spread thin when it's not their--a lot of consumerism even on a global scale (think the excess of the Arabian Gulf states for instance) is based on this being upheld and it's unwittingly toxic to espouse.

Maybe this is all a major case of me 'caring to much about what other ppl think' and/or an expression of my obsession with productivity, I admit -- I don't think that 'not caring' is liberating' not only b/c of a 'non-secular reason' I cling to

(the wikipedia quote I've made here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/comme ... round_the/ )

..but it is in this seeming 'rebellion against life' that the worst forms of irresponsibility move in once it sees how things are taken for granted not the least callous a--holes who harass and bully for self-satisfying amusement and would never choose to change it throughout their adult lives..it could laos arguably applied to the 'boo-ing', 'you s--k' or 'f--- you loser' I can imagine anyone reading this might have behind there eyes.
____

That fear of ridicule and rejection for not being 'acceptably stimulating enough' esp. in terms of socializing and social preference..being called 'boring' is something I dread b/c of that and not only because of the numbness which is a possible precursor to depression. I realize how I have a 'gift' with language which is arguable prevention/immunity factor to boredom which not everyone has.

Admit to writing this after a jarring confrontation between an uncle and my mom yesterday--if anyone would care to /maybe not be cowardly enough to express how their have been instances of them being dismissed as boring I would be glad to hear them and perhaps express back as well.

Last edited by sidetrack on 15 Oct 2018, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 10:28 am

Fear of being dismissed as boring can also lead to assertion issues.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 5:00 pm

"Dull" is actually worse than boring, because "dull" can also mean someone has a low I.Q.