Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have sore teeth or gums at the moment?
Yes 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Some days 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
No 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 17

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 4:27 am

I was googling and found there is some evidence that Autistic people have more gum disease and tooth decay than NTs. What's your experience with teeth and gums? Do you have much pain?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 5:21 am

Apart from not keeping their teeth clean, why would autistics be more prone to tooth decay than NTs? Autism is a neurological disorder affecting the brain, not a mouth disease.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:25 am

It could be that Autistic people don't brush teeth or use mouthwash as much because our extra sensitivity with sensory input means we are more put off by the sensation of tooth brushing and swishing liquid around the mouth.

As a child I hardly ever brushed my teeth and I ate a lot of sweets, chocolate and crackers too. I had sore teeth and gums constantly until I recently started oil pulling.

Now I regularly put a tablespoon of coconut oil or sesame oil in my mouth, swish it around for 10-20 minutes, then spit it in the bin. Since starting it I don't get tooth or gum ache any more.

This oil pulling practice is a traditional Indian technique. It's part of their medicinal system called Ayurveda.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2018, 7:32 am

I didn't know that!

But yes my gums bleed from time to time and have ever since I was small. I also get tooth ache for no reason sometimes. Last year I went to the dentist several times for tooth aches that came and went but they couldn't find anything wrong with my teeth. My teeth also hurts some days when I chew on sweets but only some sweets... And other days it's fine. It's really strange. I can't figure out the reason.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:36 am

fifasy wrote:
It could be that Autistic people don't brush teeth or use mouthwash as much because our extra sensitivity with sensory input means we are more put off by the sensation of tooth brushing and swishing liquid around the mouth.

I never understood why I had poor dental hygiene , I always thought it was because I couldn't be bothered but it could well be sensory issues that I didn't understand as now toothpaste & mouthwash feel like putting fire in my mouth ( how the hell can you not know you have sensory issues , I'm a freak ) .

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:53 am

I have poor dental hygiene too particularly because I hate the taste of common toothpaste and mouthwash. I did find a toothpaste I can endure the taste of (without mint oil/menthol) but still have a hard time remembering to brush my teeth.

Despite that I have healthy teeth though. But sometimes my teeth hurt because I constantly grind them.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2018, 8:03 am

How can you keep that oil in your mouth for so long. I read about that a while ago & decided to try it. I could hold it for just a minute or two before spitting it out.

I brush all the time and floss occasionally. I should floss all the time, but...

Brushing & flossing should be good enough.

I do have a minor amount of pain once in a while in my mouth. That just started last year. I pop and Advil & it's gone for a few months. It is where I have a couple of crowns. So they may be the cause of that.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 8:04 am

komamanga wrote:
But sometimes my teeth hurt because I constantly grind them.

I am also slowly grinding my teeth away :(

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 8:42 am

I think many of us may suffer from bruxism, meaning the unconscious grinding of teeth during sleep. Bruxism itself is due to stress and anxiety, big co-morbids for autistics. Physically, bruxism makes the teeth, jaw, and gums weaker, making them more apt to dental problems in general.

Wearing a night guard can prevent the teeth from wearing away further. But it doesn't end the actual grinding, which still affects the rest of the mouth.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 8:44 am

grinding feels so good , it's such a nice feeling

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 8:46 am

I don't grind my teeth in my sleep I grind them when I'm fully awake.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 8:50 am

I think I grind my teeth more than I don't grind my teeth

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 9:28 am

My teeth suck, I've had braces, several pulled (Two by me because it hurt to much to wait), never less than four cavities, Nine more recently has been a trend, and sensory wise I have a REALLY hard time at the dentist.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

AQ38
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2018, 10:49 am

I was obsessive about dental hygeine and still lost all but one of my top teeth. I'm not sure if it was periodontal disease or something iatrogenic because it is extremely painful.

I have no interest whatsoever in going into unpayable debt to purchase a fake plastic tooth mask so I can get a job so I can make interest payments on the fake plastic tooth mask.

Please don't be too quick to shame yourselves for having less-than-perfect teeth. We only have so much control over our genetics and so much of society's standards of what is and isn't "acceptable" has more to do with socioeconomic status than health.

Perfectly white, straight, Country-Club perfect teeth rarely occur in nature, just like 17" waists and bound feet.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2018, 12:00 pm

^ My teeth are from perfect as well. I was cursed with a small mouth. I had so many teeth pulled to make room when I was a kid. The two "buck teeth" are still, ever so slowing pushing against the other, so they overlap. They are also discoloured. Theres a photo of 3 brothers taken in 1961. Two brothers having gleaming white teeth, mine were grey... way back then. Oh well, they are OK. If people don't like them, that is their problem.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2018, 3:46 pm

I have had problems with this my whole life. My teeth are very prone to cavities, even if I take care of them and don't eat much sugar. My gums recently were very sore. I don't grind my teeth, but I do chew on the inside of my mouth.