Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:54 am

I always like new inventions. I think it is one of my passions. So I collect many interesting things, things of wonder. This morning I came across an article. It was about an invention that almost brings sight to the blind. I could envision that as a breakthrough and useful.

Some technological innovations are merely cool. Others can be only be viewed as life-changing, especially when they address and overcome limitations of the human body.

The device is the OrCam MyEye 2. Yes, kind of a clunky name, but what it does is much more important than what it's called. And while expensive, it's quite a game changer. Basically, it's a camera-computer-translator-speaker that sees what's in front of you and tells you, in your ear, what's there.

While feathery light and measuring the just 3 inches long, the device clips on to the side of your glasses to provide a window on your world. It sees what you cannot, with the wearer directing the MyEye using simple hand signals. It can read printed material, newspapers, food labels, computer screens, books, what have you, and it tells you what it's reading word-for-word.

It also can perform facial recognition, storing visual information about a person that can be retrieved at a later date. And if someone's a stranger who it hasn't previously identified, MyEye describes the person ("a young boy") to you.

In addition, it can identify colors and it can assist when making purchases, for instance, helping distinguish a $5 bill from a $50. And if you're confronted with a foreign language it can even translate it for you. That's terrific. (Perhaps even well-heeled travelers without visual difficulties might go for this, too.)

At the moment the device is very pricey. But the one thing I have learned over the years is that mass production can radically bring the price downward. Hey! I grew up in the days of Dick Tracy when a futuristic detective communicated through his watch.

Source: 'Sight' For Blurry And Blind Eyes

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2018, 6:58 pm

WHen I grew up, the Dick Tracy I got familiar with was the movie they made. 8O I wasn't particularly thrilled to envision a future like that, to say the least. :nerdy:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2018, 7:36 pm

When I grew up Dick Tracey was in comic books and the Sunday comics. It was right out of the future. It was the thing that dreams were made of. Cell phones today and the Apple watch sprang from that idea.

I think the world would have a major meltdown if someone took all their cell phones away. This was visionary. Imagine when you are outside the office or home, having to use a pay phone for communications.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2018, 11:12 pm

I don't even own a cellphone (⁎⚈᷀᷁▿⚈᷀᷁⁎) (⚈᷀᷁ᴗ⚈᷀᷁⁎)

. ✌(-‿-)✌

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2018, 11:41 pm

mee neether. japan has had bona fide dick tracy watches with live video reception/transmission for a good decade or so, we still lack such.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Nov 2018, 9:24 pm

Thanx for posting that jimmy. I have a rare low vision disorder that glasses only help some. This could potentially be useful to me cuz i do have problems reading things from distances. I highly doubt I could afford it but maybe down the road when the device improves some & cost goes down some, I'll be able to get it. This might could also be useful to dyslexics(like me) or other people who can have issues with reading.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition