In the last 30 years? 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I have never ever shopped at Sears. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
WTF was Sears??????? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 12:45 pm

......Or, whatever's left after bankruptcy...
Once mighty retaili monolith Sears Roebuck has filed for Chapter 11 banmruptcy. This had been expected for a long time. A company can emerge from Chapter 11 reorganized, but it would appear that between Sears' creditors and the apparent total Wall Street weasel who has owned Sears (and K-Mart) in recent years, Eddie Lampert, that the big Roe-Buck is outta here like Roseanne's career! :twisted:
No one had posted about this. This is good for my ego :D, but perhaps underlines how " Who cares? " or even " WHO? :roll: " a subject this may be to even just Americans here- :lol:!
Okay, haah :P , this ended up being a more " funny " :lol: lost than I went in intending it to be! :P. I can't link, try the New York Times or CNN for the dry details. My header came from. the old Sears jingle

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:03 pm

ASS-P wrote:
......Or, whatever's left after bankruptcy...
Once mighty retaili monolith Sears Roebuck has filed for Chapter 11 banmruptcy. This had been expected for a long time. A company can emerge from Chapter 11 reorganized, but it would appear that between Sears' creditors and the apparent total Wall Street weasel who has owned Sears (and K-Mart) in recent years, Eddie Lampert, that the big Roe-Buck is outta here like Roseanne's career! :twisted:
No one had posted about this. This is good for my ego :D, but perhaps underlines how " Who cares? " or even " WHO? :roll: " a subject this may be to even just Americans here- :lol:!
Okay, haah :P , this ended up being a more " funny " :lol: post than I went in intending it to be! :P. I can't link, try the New York Times or CNN for the dry details. My header came from. the old Sears jingle.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:15 pm

I think you meant Roebuck?

Amazon has changed commerce in the world dramatically. Someone told me that GE is suffering financially and some people are wondering if GE will tank at some point.

I have to believe that the pervasive problem in the U.S. for companies to hire and retain quality hard working employees is taking a deleterious toll on customer service related businesses in the U.S. I think that's a big part of it as well.

It's sad, Sears, JC Penny, Montgomery Ward, Labelle's catalogs (many of which "back in the day" were 1 to 4 inches thick) that used to be mailed to every household were a special interest of mine as a child. I looked at all of those catalogs not just a few times, but over and over, page by page. Even the curtains and home furnishings section and, the female underwear and clothing sections.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:36 pm

...I got " Roebuck " incorrect in the poll and couldn't correct it.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 4:22 pm

We used to shop there all the time, until about my early to mid 20s (I turn 39 in December).

We're a JC Penney family now, but they're not doing too well either.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:19 pm

welcome to the present

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:26 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
welcome to the present

The present sucks, I'd much rather be a kid losing myself in the Sears catalog.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:35 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
welcome to the present

So are all non-Wal-Mart brick ‘n’ mortar stores about to go belly up?

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:39 pm

Quote:
President Donald Trump said that Sears Holdings Corp. had been mismanaged for years before it declared bankruptcy. Among those responsible for its management: his Treasury secretary.

Steven Mnuchin was a member of Sears’s board from 2005 until December 2016, and before that was a director for K-Mart Corp., which was acquired by Sears in 2005.

“Sears has been dying for many years,” Trump told reporters as he departed the White House on Monday to inspect hurricane damage in Florida. “It’s been obviously improperly run for many years and it’s a shame.”

Treasury didn’t immediately respond to questions about Mnuchin’s service on the company’s board.

Mnuchin was a college roommate of Sears Chairman Eddie Lampert, who attended Mnuchin’s confirmation hearing for Treasury secretary in January 2017. Mnuchin cut his ties to Sears when he joined the Trump administration.

Trump Says Sears Was Mismanaged. Mnuchin Was on Its Board for Years

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
welcome to the present

Many of them already have.

Montgomery Ward
Woolworth
Ben Franklin
Kresge

among hundreds of others.

see the wikipedia article:

List of defunct department stores of the United States

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:53 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Welcome to the present.
So, are all non-Wal-Mart brick ‘n’ mortar stores about to go belly up?
Not all of them, I think.

But look at the stores in any shopping mall, and what do you see? Clothing, shoes, jewelry, fast food, knick-knacks... anything that you might wear or consume.

What's missing? Book stores, electronics stores, play areas, show stages, toy stores... anything that might be entertaining.

There are still some video game stores, and many specialty food stores are gone, but if you want to see the future of brick 'n' mortar stores, look inside any shopping mall that was built in the 1970s.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:57 pm

I think I walked through the Sears at the local mall not too long ago. The Macys there already closed a while ago. There is an Old Navy there too. I think that's a store that sells reasonably good quality clothing at a low prices. Sears has appliances and tools also. But so does Home Depot and Lowes. There's an old "brick n mortar" hardware and lumber store in the north part of town. I hope it is doing alright because it's like part of the town's history.

Last edited by EzraS on 16 Oct 2018, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:59 pm

thoughtbeast wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
welcome to the present

Montgomery Ward
Woolworth
Ben Franklin
Kresge

Perhaps it's time to fight the powers that be that profit from indentured servitude. Let's start with Trump.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 10:46 pm

we had another thread about this.

Someone on that thread said "Sears used to be as a big part of American life as Amazon is now!".

I have NEVER bought ANY thing on Amazon in my life. Never. Stumble upon Amazon on the Web all of the friggin time, but have never been moved to buy anything on it yet. Not opposed to it, just have never used amazon. So Amazon has yet to become a "part of my life". So I guess that I must REALLY be out of it if Amazon is as a big a part of everyone else's lives as Sears once was in my life.

Without Sears we would have had nothing to gripe about. Back in the Eighties mom exclaimed that she was fed up with Sear products. I replied "So... you're tired of being a 'Sears sucker'? Ar-ar-ar-ar-". She wasn't amused.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 12:57 pm

thoughtbeast wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
welcome to the present

Montgomery Ward
Woolworth
Ben Franklin
Kresge

We shopped at Montgomery Ward all the time

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 4:40 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
welcome to the present

Montgomery Ward
Woolworth
Ben Franklin
Kresge

We shopped at Montgomery Ward all the time

Montgomery Ward
Woolworth
Kresge

Are stores I've never been in.

I've seen Ben Franklin, like the one in Monroe, but have never been in there either and thought it was a craft store like Michaels.

Most of my clothes are bought in smaller mall shops like Old Navy, H&M, Ameican Eagle etc.