Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:28 pm

Posted in response to a comment on another forum but perhaps also relevant to here.

Other persons comment:

Quote:
Your’e so smart, and you appear independent minded to me.

My reply :
Quote:
That’s half the problem . I’m verbally smart which in a 2D environment such as here carries a lot of weight.

The truth though is that I struggle with practical intelligence/practical tasks(some of the things you mentioned). This of course has never been fully recognised by the psychiatric system as even mental health professionals jump to the erroneous conclusion that to be good verbally is automatically to be good non-verbally .

Then there are the social interaction issues. I think, in that they say I have very poor social skills, they recognise that to some extent. However there’s been little help with that aspect of things and no recognition these might involve co-morbid problems like asd/dyspraxia/nvld as much or more than mental illness.

I come across as far more functional in this highly verbal environment than I am in real life. Without the support I get I’d struggle to cope with day to day living. I guess in the grand scheme of things that does make me better of than those who couldn’t live independently even with a lot of support. It’s all relative though.

I don’t think the disjoint between how someone comes across on a forum such as this and how they may function when it comes to day to day life is solely relevant to me.
There are no doubt others who come across here as doing very well because of their verbal skills when the truth is they too may have ongoing difficulties .

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Oct 2018, 2:40 pm

I had Aspergers ruled out when I was officially tested & when I was trying to qualify for services related to Aspergers partly because they thought I communicated too well verbally. There were lots of other reasons that really made me believe I was misdiagnosed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 3:57 pm

Yes, your response is true for me too, firemonkey. On the forums, there are many of my traits which are not disabling in the way that they would be in many real-life situations. I communicate far more effectively on forums than I can in face-to-face conversation, can be in an environment which doesn't grate on my sensory issues, can conceal my slow verbal processing, have less anxiety about what I should reveal about myself, and many more...