Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 3:08 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
China is actually getting better though. And North Korea may start getting better too.

Things do change over time for every country. Sometimes it takes a very long time like it did for Japan. They were isolationists for centuries before they decided to open their borders up and establish trade with the outside world.

China is getting WORSE - compared to how it was in the 1980s, say. It still runs concentration camps, murders ethnic minorities, steals the organs of Falun Gong practitioners, occupies Tibet, interferes in overseas affairs, murders foreign dissidents... The list goes on.

The only reason you've heard that China is "reforming" is that big business, which owns the western media, has a vested interest in keeping Sino American relations in good order, because it needs their slave labour. It's the same reason you've heard that Saudi Arabia is reforming when it too is getting worse - American arms manufacturers need Saudi contracts.

phantasmagoria
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2018, 3:50 am

"Why have a civilization anymore if we no longer are interested in being civilized?"

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 8:05 am

Japan is a LOT better now than they used to be and they don't owe it all to Americans blowing the **** out of their country with atomic bombs during World War 2. If it wasn't for their own people willing to change for the better they would have never actually changed at all.

Anyways this discussion is getting way too negative and political about the world when all I wanted to do was look on the bright side and point out that things aren't always as bad as they seem.

You guys can hate on the world and cry about society crumbling all you want but I bet none of you guys even make the effort to try and fix society for the better.

It's like people who complain about the homeless but never offer to give a homeless person food or money or volunteer at a soup kitchen or shelter.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 2:20 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Japan is a LOT better now than they used to be and they don't owe it all to Americans blowing the **** out of their country with atomic bombs during World War 2. If it wasn't for their own people willing to change for the better they would have never actually changed at all.

Anyways this discussion is getting way too negative and political about the world when all I wanted to do was look on the bright side and point out that things aren't always as bad as they seem.

You guys can hate on the world and cry about society crumbling all you want but I bet none of you guys even make the effort to try and fix society for the better.

It's like people who complain about the homeless but never offer to give a homeless person food or money or volunteer at a soup kitchen or shelter.

Except it was America that structured and reshaped Japanese society after ww2, same goes for Germany. We made their laws and shaped their society to be how we wanted, so they wouldn’t repeat their past.

Was it reconstruction and civil rights action and laws that made the south no racist or did all the racist just do it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 7:18 am

You try being a black person in the South before the 1970s.

Maybe Reconstruction was arbitrary to the South. Maybe the North arbitrarily imposed themselves upon the South.

No excuse, though, for Jim Crow and lynchings.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 7:47 am

...Geez...SinceI'm old enough to be your DA, hearing about " that world of the past " makes me feel weird :P :x ! :?

wood_Guy"]I "obsessed" over the future of the world for a long time now. The issue I have is a sometimes desperate longing feeling for what the world may have been like when my parents/grandparents were growing up, it looks like modern society is almost inevitably going to fall and it's closer in my lifetime each year that passes by.

I sometimes lose happiness and feel like giving up on the future in general. The line for being considered successful in society keeps getting higher and the cost of things over the last decades have risen in general. While you can also argue that technology has made us more depressed and isolated than we were ever before.

I wanted to get hugs and positive vibes.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 7:48 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Geez...Since I'm old enough to be your Da, hearing about " that world of the past " makes me feel weird :P :x ! :?

wood_Guy"]I "obsessed" over the future of the world for a long time now. The issue I have is a sometimes desperate longing feeling for what the world may have been like when my parents/grandparents were growing up, it looks like modern society is almost inevitably going to fall and it's closer in my lifetime each year that passes by.

I sometimes lose happiness and feel like giving up on the future in general. The line for being considered successful in society keeps getting higher and the cost of things over the last decades have risen in general. While you can also argue that technology has made us more depressed and isolated than we were ever before.

I wanted to get hugs and positive vibes.
[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

AQ38
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2018, 8:36 am

I'm not sure if you're into bibliotherapy or not, but here's mine:

Thus Spake Zarathustra, by Nietzsche
Learning to Die in the Anthropocene, by Roy Scranton
The Starseed Transmissions, by Ken Carey

You also may just not do well in captivity and need to get out in the woods and get some advice from a tree.

There are positive changed. ASS-P's heartrending signature was the reality of both of our childhoods. I am undiagnosed and have lived in the spectre of misdiagnoses coming back to destroy my life for over 30 years---and they do, frequently, unexpectedly, and dramatically.

The silencing and "Let's Just Pretend This Never Happened Because We Don't Talk About Things Like That In This Family" denied our very reality and everyone around us shook their heads and told us that the we were obviously crazy since we didn't think we were crazy.

I've got so much shame, so many secrets I've carried for all these years, so much pain I would love to just let out and tell someone ANYONE AT ALL who would believe me that these horrible things happened and the monsters who did this to us got away scot free.

But I can't so I won't. My nineteen year old friend has always known he was Aspie, just the way he has always known his eyes were a certain colour and his hair was curly or straight. My trans friends may not have perfect lives, but they did get to grow up.

That's one thing humanity is starting to get right anyway.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 7:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You try being a black person in the South before the 1970s.

Maybe Reconstruction was arbitrary to the South. Maybe the North arbitrarily imposed themselves upon the South.

No excuse, though, for Jim Crow and lynchings.

I said and civil rights movement. Point is the south didn’t change by its self, racist didn’t become unracist by Thelma selves they were made to

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 4:49 pm

I also feel sad that a lot of places had to change and go all digital for the present. I guess some of that was a "special interest" of mine. Like in movie cinemas and photography, they decided to go all digital just relatively recently and film has become dead in that department, now it's at the point where it's not seen as practical at all. It's the same with publishing and other business. I admit that it's ironic I'm using a computer to write this, but it is breaking my heart that I only started to become an adult when everything changed like that.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 5:44 pm

Every aspect of daily life now seems to suffer from political infiltration and political complaint, even this forum and this thread. Now it's threatening to hijack the Haven.

OP, I understand your topic is about your depressing personal experience of life in a society in rapid decline.

Posters in The Haven need to stay focused on support for an OP's struggles and challenges, rather than repost their political views which have been already posted in great quantity in the News and Politics forums.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 9:22 pm

Well it's a line I'm struggling to walk sometimes.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 9:41 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I "obsessed" over the future of the world for a long time now. The issue I have is a sometimes desperate longing feeling for what the world may have been like when my parents/grandparents were growing up, it looks like modern society is almost inevitably going to fall and it's closer in my lifetime each year that passes by.

I wanted to get hugs and positive vibes.

Your opening post was perfectly ok here. It's just that these threads can get hijacked into PPR kind of responses.