Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:42 am

Knowing Why: Adult-Diagnosed Autistic People on Life and Autism

Quote:
As A.J. Odasso writes in this anthology: "You spend a lot of time wondering what's wrong without ever knowing why."

This anthology includes essays from a diverse group of adult-diagnosed autistic people. Our essays reflect the value of knowing why—why we are different from so many other people, why it can be so hard to do things others can take for granted, and why there is often such a mismatch between others' treatment of us and our own needs, skills, and experiences. Essay topics include recovering from burnout, exploring our passions and interests, and coping with sensory overload, especially in social situations.

If you know you're autistic, are beginning to wonder, share similarities with autistic people, or want to support an adult autistic friend or family member—or if you simply want to know why it's so important that autistic adults know we're autistic—this book is for you

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 5:01 am

Sounds like an "absolutely must read" to me. ASAN seems to take some really good initiatives, promoting this sounds like one of them.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 8:58 am

This sounds very interesting. I like anthologies of this sort. I have read many anthology-type books about people with autism and other special needs, and it sounds fascinating.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2018, 9:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Knowing Why: Adult-Diagnosed Autistic People on Life and Autism

Quote:
As A.J. Odasso writes in this anthology: "You spend a lot of time wondering what's wrong without ever knowing why."

This anthology includes essays from a diverse group of adult-diagnosed autistic people. Our essays reflect the value of knowing why—why we are different from so many other people, why it can be so hard to do things others can take for granted, and why there is often such a mismatch between others' treatment of us and our own needs, skills, and experiences. Essay topics include recovering from burnout, exploring our passions and interests, and coping with sensory overload, especially in social situations.

If you know you're autistic, are beginning to wonder, share similarities with autistic people, or want to support an adult autistic friend or family member—or if you simply want to know why it's so important that autistic adults know we're autistic—this book is for you

If the book is available for free online I would definitely peek at it.

AQ38
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2018, 10:45 pm

Thank you. This looks right up my alley.

I don't know how people here feel about such matters but I couldn't find it for CalicoMischeif on Z library or Libgen and that's about the limits of my own skills when it comes to free peeks online.

Not everyone can afford to buy new books and authors don't get any more royalties from used books than they do from torrents so no judgement intended, just trying to be nice.