Tortoise Blames the Poor for Trump's Trillion-Dollar Deficit

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:46 am

Mitch McConnell Blames the Poor for Trump’s Trillion-Dollar Deficit - “It’s disappointing, but it’s not a Republican problem,” says the man who just passed a $1.5 trillion tax cut.

Quote:
...But as the G.O.P. surely knew, that was never going to happen. Instead, as we learned this week, the U.S. budget deficit increased to $779 billion for the fiscal year, a 17 percent increase from the year prior, which is extra bad considering the economy is doing well, a scenario in which the federal deficit typically falls. Luckily, Mitch McConnell knows exactly who and what to blame:

“It’s disappointing, but it’s not a Republican problem,” McConnell said Tuesday in an interview with Bloomberg News when asked about the rising deficits and debt. “It’s a bipartisan problem: unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future.”

The “real” drivers of debt, according to McConnell, are “Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid,” “entitlements” from which the Senate majority leader would cut off the old and poor if only he could get Democrats to sign on. (That’s probably unlikely to happen, given Nancy Pelosi’s statement today that, “Like clockwork, Republicans in Congress are setting in motion their plan to destroy the Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security that seniors and families rely on, just months after they exploded the deficit by $2 trillion with their tax scam for the rich,” and Chuck Schumer’s that suggesting cuts to “middle-class programs like Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid as the only fiscally responsible solution to solve the debt problem is nothing short of gaslighting.”) ...

The Tortoise

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2018, 12:59 pm

This is why Republicans need to be voted out in November. It disgusts me that most young people don't seem to care. They only care about culture war BS and identity politics that doesn't actually affect peoples lives that much. Who cares if sick, disabled, or elderly people suffer. It's like our society has no empathy. Everyone is just a selfish s**t these days.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:19 pm

Young people are the ones who get screwed in this deal.

They inherit all the debt.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:38 pm

NoClearMind53 wrote:
This is why Republicans need to be voted out in November. It disgusts me that most young people don't seem to care. They only care about culture war BS and identity politics that doesn't actually affect peoples lives that much. Who cares if sick, disabled, or elderly people suffer. It's like our society has no empathy. Everyone is just a selfish s**t these days.

I read that having the Democrats win back control will suck too.

Can you tell me why you might think that party right now is any better?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 2:08 pm

Rather than blindly voting the party line, you may want to choose "the lesser of the two evils." Sure, this is more work, but considering what is at stake, you may want to make the effort.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2018, 6:39 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
NoClearMind53 wrote:

I read that having the Democrats win back control will suck too.

Can you tell me why you might think that party right now is any better?

Actual left wing Democrats haven't had control since the 1970s. The majority of people want universal healthcare, but there's a massive propaganda effort to drive people away from a progressive agenda by dividing people over stupid cultural issues.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2018, 6:44 pm

BTDT wrote:
Rather than blindly voting the party line, you may want to choose "the lesser of the two evils." Sure, this is more work, but considering what is at stake, you may want to make the effort.

The Republican party is insane at this point. They intentionally create a massive deficit with military spending and tax cuts, then blame it on "entitlements". I will vote for whoever has the best chance of knocking them out of power.