Did Charlie Fineman in 'Reign on Me' Have Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2018, 11:37 am

Just saw the movie, he sure seemed to have it but oddly I have found nothing online about it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:08 pm

bluecountry wrote:
Just saw the movie, he sure seemed to have it but oddly I have found nothing online about it.
The character was likely portrayed as having Asperger's-like symptoms. It seems to be a common trope these days for an awkward social misfit to be the main protagonist in a story.

Or it could just be bad acting.

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2018, 8:34 am

It wasn't because he was awkward, just so many of his behaviors I could relate.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 8:35 am

Bad acting, then - especially considering that he was portrayed by Adam Sandler.

Otherwise, I'd say he was displaying symptoms of PTSD...

Christina Tess Reddy wrote:
Charlie Fineman is a white male who was a dentist with three daughters and a wife, unfortunately due to the September 11, terrorist attacks in America during 2001, his daughters and wife passed away in a plane crash. Mr Fineman experienced grief after the loss of his loved ones, stopped working as a dentist and starting telling people that he has no family. He would avoid his in-laws and play music to escape from dealing with his indirect traumatic experience. Charlie experienced loss while growing up but now has outbursts of anger, flashbacks of his family memories, delusions and stays awake till peculiar hours in the morning, however he does have social support from his friend Alan who suggested he see a therapist, after seeing the therapist for a few brief sessions, Charlie attempted committing suicide. Mr Fineman’s major symptoms are his anger outbursts and complete avoidance of anything representing his traumatic experience...

Source Article: Diagnosing Charlie Fineman

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2018, 10:31 am

I disagree.
I think he had both PTSD and autism.

-The way he remembered everything
-How he avoided things because he got reminded so easily
-His hyperarousal outbursts
-The headphones

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:17 pm

bluecountry wrote:
I disagree. I think he had both PTSD and autism.
-The way he remembered everything
-How he avoided things because he got reminded so easily
-His hyperarousal outbursts
-The headphones
-NTs with PTSD can have good memories, too.
-They also avoid unpleasant things.
-People with PTSD can become violent with very little provocation or warning.
-People in general wear headphones.

The clincher, of course, is that the essay I linked to -- which presented very strong reasoning for a PTSD diagnosis -- was written by a professional psychologist (with an Honors degree in General and Industrial Psychology), and cited relevant Data from the DSM.

And remember that the movie was a work of fiction with Adam Sandler pretending to be Charlie Fineman.