Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:37 pm

In another thread, we've been picking on Canadians, mostly for the way that SOME of them may speak ("eh?").

I apologize to our cousins from the Great North. Not every Canadian speaks like the MacKenzie brothers, and most were laid-back and pleasant long before their government legalized recreational marijuana across their nation.

A while back, there was a commercial that featured a character named "Joe Canuck". He gave a magnificent speech on what it is like to be a proud Canadian. Here it is...

Joe Canuck wrote:
(clears throat)
Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader, and I don't live in an igloo, or eat blubber, or own a dogsled.
And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.
I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, NOT American.
And I pronounce it “ABOUT”, not “a-boot”.
I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing; diversity, NOT assimilation; and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal!
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch, and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee' -- 'ZED'!
Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
And the best part of North America!

So, here's to you, my fine Canadian friends! I raise my Molson to your honor!

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:44 pm

I don't get why people *coughAmericanscough* are always making fun of Canadians. Maybe we're just jealous because they have free health care? I dunno.

I never really notice Canadian accents because to me they sound just like Americans. Hell I know plenty of Americans who say "Eh?" too so I don't understand what makes that a strictly Canadian thing.

Maybe we Americans are just a bunch of ethnocentric bigots? :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:52 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Maybe we Americans are just a bunch of ethnocentric bigots?
No, really?

I never woulda guessed!

:wink:

Seriously, growing up in Michigan, we tacked an "eh" onto the end of most of our sentences, and I have rarely ever heard a real Canadian do the same.

Although their pronunciation of words ending in "-out" usually gives them away, especially on television shows originating in Vancouver, BC.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:52 pm

Long live the Commonwealth!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:55 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
I don't get why people *coughAmericanscough* are always making fun of Canadians. Maybe we're just jealous because they have free health care? I dunno.

I never really notice Canadian accents because to me they sound just like Americans. Hell I know plenty of Americans who say "Eh?" too so I don't understand what makes that a strictly Canadian thing.

Maybe we Americans are just a bunch of ethnocentric bigots? :P

Finding a Canadian in a sea of Americans is like finding a Canadian penny in a jar of American pennies. They look similar but are a little strange, a little special, and are magnetic...they are a novelty.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Maybe we Americans are just a bunch of ethnocentric bigots?
No, really?

I never woulda guessed!

:wink:

Seriously, growing up in Michigan, we tacked an "eh" onto the end of most of our sentences, and I have rarely ever heard a real Canadian do the same.

Although their pronunciation of words ending in "-out" usually gives them away, especially on television shows originating in Vancouver, BC.

I just never really picked up on their accents. To me they don't sound any different from Americans. Especially Americans from the northern and midwestern states. :lol:

Kind of like how people from the UK and people from Australia sound the same to me. I know there has to be an actual difference in their accents but I'm unable to tell the difference. :P

And yes Canadian pennies look very similar to our pennies. :mrgreen:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 2:38 pm

Sorry I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

Just so you all know I don't hate Canada at all unlike the guys from MST3K singing this song.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 3:02 pm

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 6:31 pm

It doesn't bother me. You were having fun. Nations pick on each other all the time. I expect that more people will pick on us now that Pot is legalized. I find it quite funny.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 6:42 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
It doesn't bother me. You were having fun. Nations pick on each other all the time. I expect that more people will pick on us now that Pot is legalized. I find it quite funny.
The recreational use of marijuana is legal here in the Peoples' Republic of California. I haven't heard many jokes about it, seeing as how the legalization seems to have been a mere formality, and that the reputation of Californians for being owl-loving, tree-hugging, celebrity-worshiping pot-heads has been around since before WWII.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2018, 6:46 pm

I can usually tell when a TV show is Canadian by the accent somehow, without hearing certain words. I've never been there, and I don't know how I get it right so often.

I've always liked the flag. :) It's one of my favourites.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 6:56 pm

SilentJessica wrote:
... I've always liked the flag. It's one of my favourites.[/color]
Forever may she wave!

:salut:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 6:58 pm

Are Americans the only ones who get so uptight about people poking fun at their country? :lol:

To the rest of the world we must seem like a bunch of mouthy obnoxious imbeciles who love to shoot everything and believe that everybody around the world wants to be exactly like us.

:mrgreen:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:00 pm

I'm going to quote me from another thread so technically I'm not cross posting :lol:

SaveFerris wrote:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:06 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I'm going to quote me from another thread so technically I'm not cross posting :lol:

SaveFerris wrote:

That's what I call fighting fire with fire. :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:08 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Are Americans the only ones who get so uptight about people poking fun at their country?
"Poking fun" is one thing, shaming all Americans for the actions of a few "mouthy, obnoxious imbeciles who love to shoot everything and believe that everybody around the world wants to be exactly like us" is quite another.