Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:08 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Are Americans the only ones who get so uptight about people poking fun at their country?
"Poking fun" is one thing, shaming all Americans for the actions of a few "mouthy, obnoxious imbeciles who love to shoot everything and believe that everybody around the world wants to be exactly like us" is quite another.

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:11 pm

New Zealand has an odd relationship with Australia too. Many people think we are the same, the accents are similar but not the same! There is a rivalry that kind of gets out of hand sometimes.

I can't understand when people say that UK accents are the same as Australian - I guess if you are from a non English speaking country that may be so, I just cannot imagine how that is. In the UK, regional accents are very pronounced (I was born there) and also accents across class cultures are different - or they were when I was a kid 100 or so years ago. Hearing someone talk you could place them pretty precisely but also tell if the were working class or upper class. I really don't know if the class system still exists over there, but it was a thing. Even within a close area like north and south of the Mersey river the accents were distinct. My dad was from Bootle and he never lost his accent.

Having said all that I do struggle picking a Canadian Accent from a regular American accent. Some American accents are easy to pick, Southerner, a Boston accent, a New York accent - those seem easy. But the formal newscasters accent is quite hard to tell apart from Canadian. It might be helpful if they really did say 'aboot'. LOL

AQ 40
ASD-1

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Are Americans the only ones who get so uptight about people poking fun at their country?
"Poking fun" is one thing, shaming all Americans for the actions of a few "mouthy, obnoxious imbeciles who love to shoot everything and believe that everybody around the world wants to be exactly like us" is quite another.

My point exactly.

Seriously, Americans are too sensitive and can't take any criticism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:23 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
My point exactly. Seriously, Americans are too sensitive and can't take any criticism.
Are you implying that I'm FAT?!

WAAAAAAA!

I'm gonna tell!

WAAAAAAA!

Just joking!

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
My point exactly. Seriously, Americans are too sensitive and can't take any criticism.
Are you implying that I'm FAT?!

WAAAAAAA!

I'm gonna tell!

WAAAAAAA!

Just joking!

We need to lay off those hotdogs and cheeseburgers. :lol:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

I still remember that episode of Johnny Bravo when he and his mother moved to Canada.

"Oh Johnny! Canada is famous for all kinds of things. Hockey, fat bacon, hockey, and my favorite free health care!"

:lol:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 8:59 am

I had a couple of good friends from Canada on an internet cat site I used to frequent. It's so sad that site no longer exists. I miss it.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 9:27 am

feeli0 wrote:
New Zealand has an odd relationship with Australia too. Many people think we are the same, the accents are similar but not the same! There is a rivalry that kind of gets out of hand sometimes.

I can't understand when people say that UK accents are the same as Australian - I guess if you are from a non English speaking country that may be so, I just cannot imagine how that is. In the UK, regional accents are very pronounced (I was born there) and also accents across class cultures are different - or they were when I was a kid 100 or so years ago. Hearing someone talk you could place them pretty precisely but also tell if the were working class or upper class. I really don't know if the class system still exists over there, but it was a thing. Even within a close area like north and south of the Mersey river the accents were distinct. My dad was from Bootle and he never lost his accent.

Having said all that I do struggle picking a Canadian Accent from a regular American accent. Some American accents are easy to pick, Southerner, a Boston accent, a New York accent - those seem easy. But the formal newscasters accent is quite hard to tell apart from Canadian. It might be helpful if they really did say 'aboot'. LOL

I guess if you're an American like me and you've never been to either of those countries it's harder to pick up on the difference between the two accents. Australia is a younger country than the U.S. and they were settled by the British so I think there are still some similarities in how they speak and how people in the U.K. speak. At least that's how it might seem to people who have never lived in either of those countries.

That's probably the same reason why some people can tell the difference between Canadian and American accents and some can't. They both share the same border, as countries they're both about the same age, and they both speak English (some Canadians speak French but so do people in Louisiana).

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2018, 9:38 am

I never understood why people from other countries confused Australian and English accents until I went to America. When I was there, I heard some people who were English, and it took me about five minutes to work out if their accent was English or Australian. Then I heard another man I thought was English, and I couldn't tell if he was Australian or not until he told someone he was from Sydney.

When I went to New Zealand for a week, I had only been there for a few days when the New Zealand accent started replacing my own (especially in my mind, which annoyed me because I couldn't get my Australian accent back for a while). It was like that until I had been home for about a week. My sister and I both had that happen.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 9:45 am

SilentJessica wrote:

When I went to New Zealand for a week, I had only been there for a few days when the New Zealand accent started replacing my own (especially in my mind, which annoyed me because I couldn't get my Australian accent back for a while). It was like that until I had been home for about a week. My sister and I both had that happen.

I don't know what it is but if I spend too long around people with a different accent I usually start mimicking it and pick up on phrases and sayings.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 9:57 am

SaveFerris wrote:
SilentJessica wrote:

I don't know what it is but if I spend too long around people with a different accent I usually start mimicking it and pick up on phrases and sayings.

Same with me and ebonics. I had a lot of black female teachers growing up and my Mama once laughed at me whenever I would start wording things like a black person would.

I would say things like "Be like" and such without even realizing it. :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 11:19 am

Ebonics is fine until someone says 'What's poppin' n****r , then it's like Um Er Uh , 'Hello my good friend how are you this fine morning'

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 11:50 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Ebonics is fine until someone says 'What's poppin' n****r , then it's like Um Er Uh , 'Hello my good friend how are you this fine morning'

I can honestly say I never use the N word. Black people only use it amongst each other as a joke but whenever a white person uses it, it always comes across as a racist insult.

And I speak with a slight southern drawl and people always make fun of that accent. I say words like "Ya'll" and "Fixin' to" and "I Reckon" all the time without even realizing it. :lol:

Oh and Ebonics isn't just about slang, it's the way that black people actually word things and use phrases. Like "Those people be acting like fools" for example.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 12:06 pm

I would never be friends with a Canadian. Especially a French Canadian :eew:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 12:06 pm

I wrote that for my online buddy from Quebec :twisted:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 12:49 pm

EzraS wrote:
I would never be friends with a Canadian. Especially a French Canadian :eew:

Well I would NEVER be friends with a Dayum Yankee!

Lol just kidding. I'm actually friends with a guy who's from New York. :mrgreen: