Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,071

17 Oct 2018, 6:13 pm

Help?
I was upgrading my OS on my Mac Book and it seemed to be frozen after about 10 minutes, so I shut off my laptop and restarted it, thinking that I could just cancel the process. Now I think I killed my laptop? It won't restart and I just get a black screen with error codes that flashes and disappears. Maybe the current OS was already deleted and now I have nothing? If I just leave it will the new OS somehow impart itself again by wifi and fix everything, or do I need a repair?

I'm totally confused.

Any suggestions from the tech side of WP?

Thanks,
Isabella



Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,819
Location: en cendres avec ma chère marcia

17 Oct 2018, 6:55 pm

enjoy your new paperweight


never shut off or restart a computer in the middle of an OS update even if you think it's frozen


how long was it frozen


_________________
❄join my discord pls❄

Mais c'est la mort qui t'a assassinée, Marcia,
C'est la mort qui t'a consumée, Marcia,
C'est le cancer que tu as pris sous ton bras,
Maintenant, tu es en cendres, cendres...


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,071

17 Oct 2018, 6:59 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
enjoy your new paperweight


never shut off or restart a computer in the middle of an OS update even if you think it's frozen


how long was it frozen


oops lol
It was stuck at "43 Minutes" for about an hour, so I gave up.
I can take it for repair in the morning but wanted to know if it's worth messing with tonight, or if there's something I can do.
(boxes own head).

Thanks Kip.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 63,821
Location: Queens, NYC

17 Oct 2018, 7:08 pm

Don't mess with it.

Take it to the repair shop tomorrow. I bet it's really a simple problem.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,071

17 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

I googled with my old laptop and it said to hit CMD R. I've done that and it's actually awake again and installing the new OS, but I don't know if it will complete the process or if I've wiped all my files.

... (patience...)

Thanks again. (32 minutes remaining). :P



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,378
Location: Stendec

17 Oct 2018, 7:21 pm

i just updated the OS on my iPad, and it took about 10 minutes, adding a voice recorder and a couple of other new apps.

Let us know how yours works out, please?



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,071

17 Oct 2018, 7:25 pm

Awww.... thanks Fnord. 25 minutes. Will do :heart:



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 63,821
Location: Queens, NYC

17 Oct 2018, 7:37 pm

I think it will take, Isabella. Sounds like you did the right thing.



feeli0
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 12 Sep 2018
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,035
Location: Far far away

17 Oct 2018, 7:39 pm

I always use Time machine on my macs - as they do die horrible deaths from time to time. Time machine means you can restore all the precious files. Sorry not helpful in the middle of a crisis, but rather a future suggestion. Never heard of the Cmd R thing but glad it seems to be working! Good luck!


_________________
Not a Moderator.

AQ 40
ASD-1


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,071

17 Oct 2018, 7:50 pm

Image

OMG folks it worked and I didn't lose anything!!

CELEBRATE! (You have no idea how sad I would have been to set it all up again!)

Thanks everyone for the support!



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,071

17 Oct 2018, 8:19 pm

feeli0 wrote:
I always use Time machine on my macs - as they do die horrible deaths from time to time. Time machine means you can restore all the precious files. Sorry not helpful in the middle of a crisis, but rather a future suggestion. Never heard of the Cmd R thing but glad it seems to be working! Good luck!


Thanks feels!
I'll get you to walk me through Time Machine some day! Sounds perfect!



feeli0
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 12 Sep 2018
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,035
Location: Far far away

17 Oct 2018, 9:04 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
feeli0 wrote:
I always use Time machine on my macs - as they do die horrible deaths from time to time. Time machine means you can restore all the precious files. Sorry not helpful in the middle of a crisis, but rather a future suggestion. Never heard of the Cmd R thing but glad it seems to be working! Good luck!


Thanks feels!
I'll get you to walk me through Time Machine some day! Sounds perfect!


Sure thing. You need to get an external hard drive, you dont need the expensive Apple one, just a good quality one with lots of storage. I’ll tell you the rest when you have one..


_________________
Not a Moderator.

AQ 40
ASD-1


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,071

17 Oct 2018, 9:28 pm

feeli0 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
feeli0 wrote:
I always use Time machine on my macs - as they do die horrible deaths from time to time. Time machine means you can restore all the precious files. Sorry not helpful in the middle of a crisis, but rather a future suggestion. Never heard of the Cmd R thing but glad it seems to be working! Good luck!


Thanks feels!
I'll get you to walk me through Time Machine some day! Sounds perfect!


Sure thing. You need to get an external hard drive, you dont need the expensive Apple one, just a good quality one with lots of storage. I’ll tell you the rest when you have one..


I had one unopened for a long time but recently gave it to my nephew. I'll get another. Thx.