Odd Duty Chicago Cop shot unarmed autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 2:05 am

Video shows Chicago cop in unmarked car shoot unarmed, autistic man

Quote:
Chicago's Civilian Office of Police Accountability released surveillance video that shows an off-duty Chicago police officer in an unmarked pickup truck shooting an unarmed, autistic teenager.

Ricardo Hayes, who was 18-years-old at the time, survived the shooting and has filed a federal lawsuit against the Chicago Police Department.

Sergeant Khalil Muhammad of the CPD was driving a black, unmarked truck through Chicago's Morgan Park neighborhood in the early morning of August 13, 2017 when he saw Hayes running and skipping on the sidewalk.

Video shows Muhammad pulling up to within about 20 to 30 feet of Hayes, who stops. Hayes then takes two steps toward the truck and Muhammad shoots him in the chest and arm.

Muhammad called 911 and said he had to shoot because he was in fear for his life.

"The guy pulled like he was about to pull a gun on me, walked up to the car, and I had to shoot," Muhammad is heard saying in the 911 call.

No weapons were found on Hayes or anywhere at the scene.

The Illinois chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union said Hayes "needed help from the police because he had left his home late at night and gotten lost."

Mohammad has been suspended with pay since the shooting occurred more than 14 months ago.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 18 Oct 2018, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 2:49 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mohammad has been suspended with pay since the shooting occurred more than 14 months ago.

Wow. 14 months.

Lounging at home, getting full pay.