Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

blockmaster1
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Oct 2018, 9:47 pm

Hi everyone:

I sorta like a girl in one of my classes at school, how weird would you guys say it is for me casually sit next to her in class when I don't know her at all. How should I go about this? Btw I'm a bit socially awkward, so would need to execute this well to not appear creepy.

phantasmagoria
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2018, 10:50 pm

If you would say something to her it would make things a lot less creepy.

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2018, 11:02 pm

Ask her for a pen, tell her your alligator ate yours.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 11:19 am

when you get tests or graded assignments back, ask her how she did

ask if you can copy her notes from x day you missed (if you have perfect attendance, don't do this though)

ask to borrow a pen

ask for a sheet of paper (you forgot paper to take notes)

ask if she wants to study together (for an upcoming test)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:31 pm

Bust a move, yo!

AltoClarinet

19 Oct 2018, 12:39 pm

I think it would be fine. Though I do understand that these things can be more difficult when you find someone attractive.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 2:50 pm

Find an excuse: ask her for help with your work.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 2:59 pm

You should look at her and say: "My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents." She'll look back at you and say, in an interested tone: "I'm Victoria. Hi!".

Sorry, I couldn't help letting a Seinfeld reference slip out.

Last edited by Magna on 19 Oct 2018, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:35 pm

Magna wrote:
You should look at her and say: "My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents." She'll look back at you and say, in an interested tone: "I'm Victoria, hi!".

Sorry, I couldn't help letting a Seinfeld reference slip out.

+1

blockmaster1
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2018, 9:02 am

Update: I found out she has a boyfriend after looking her up on social media. :(. Oh well, its part of life. If I approach another girl sometime Ill use you guys advice lol, thanks

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 11:39 am

blockmaster1 wrote:
Update: I found out she has a boyfriend after looking her up on social media. :(. Oh well, its part of life. If I approach another girl sometime Ill use you guys advice lol, thanks

Easy, there, bud...I have but one question, and my WP comrades already know what I’m gonna ask: Exactly just how much boyfriend does she have???

It’s an important question. It is commonplace for women to jump from one relationship straight to the next. It sucks for you if you’re the soon-to-be previous bf, but it’s just the way it is.

If you want a certain job, you form relationships with the companies you want to work for. You flirt with the administrative assistant, invite her to lunch, remember her birthday, ask about her kids...whatever it takes, and get your resume to the top of the stack. You can’t be worried about the next guy who went to a better school and has stronger credentials. Those guys are a dime a dozen. You’re better than them. Let one of those guys be your intern or something.

Same thing with romantic relationships. What sucks for you is they are always temporary. 100% of marriages will end. They say half of those end in divorce. If true, that means half of marriages end in death.

And bf/gf relationships are much more fluid and transient.

Which, again, sucks for you if you have a gf.

But...

It’s also good for you if you don’t.

Whether you try to “steal” her or encourage her to cheat is between you and your conscience. If you want some moral high ground, fine. Just make sure you form a close friendly relationship and keep your relational resume at the top of the heap. Get to know her. Keep as close as is appropriate. When they hit splitsville, BE THERE.

I must stress this is not GUARANTEED to work in your favor. This is only ONE girl. The odds of getting a date with any ONE person are pathetically low for everyone. All you can hope to accomplish are to manipulate those odds so you can at least get a date with SOMEONE—not necessarily your crush, not necessarily the kind of girl you’d ordinarily want, but just to get out there and set yourself up so that you CAN find the right kind of person for you. That might happen to be your crush. But I believe it’s more important to find the right KIND of person vs the flavor of the week who you don’t even really know. Always stay open to possibilities. Luck favors the prepared.

To be prepared, get yourself inside this girl’s circle. Stay in contact. Make all her conversations center on her supposed bf. What makes people attractive to others is attention to others’ interests. Even if she loves her bf and isn’t interested in leaving him, she will still want to be with you as much as she can because you make her focus on things that make her feel good. When the inevitable happens, she’ll remember that, and you’ll be the next guy taking her to dinner.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 1:46 pm

Actually it might be good practice to talk to her. You'll still be nervous because she's still attractive, but you know you're not going to get a date anytime soon so that takes the pressure off.

This will just be you getting comfortable at conversation. Still try and strike up a conversation.

blockmaster1
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2018, 9:32 pm

Ok, I will probably go for it then, thanks guys. The more practice, the better!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 11:10 pm

But don't do it thinking you're going to get a date. This is just practice. Getting comfortable actually talking to women.

The more comfortable you are the easier it will be to talk to someone who is available.

I'm just thinking. In high school I just hung out with the same group of girls, but in college I talked to a variety of classmates. Spread your wings, talk to more people than just her or she's going to think you're targeting her and that will possibly put her guard up, especially if she has a boyfriend and you'll end up feeling creepy.

Last edited by hurtloam on 20 Oct 2018, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 11:13 pm

I don't want to take the thread off track, but this is nonsense. The receptionist has no say over who gets hired. Are you Saul Goodman for goodness sake? I've worked in HR btw.

Quote:
If you want a certain job, you form relationships with the companies you want to work for. You flirt with the administrative assistant, invite her to lunch, remember her birthday, ask about her kids...whatever it takes, and get your resume to the top of the stack. You can’t be worried about the next guy who went to a better school and has stronger credentials. Those guys are a dime a dozen. You’re better than them. Let one of those guys be your intern or something.

People, don't be the cheesy guy that tries to slime his way in everywhere. There's nothing worse than a charmer with no substance. People can see through it.

Last edited by hurtloam on 20 Oct 2018, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 11:24 pm

hurtloam is absolutely right. Trying something like that will only get you laughs (either in your face or behind your back) and may in fact work against you--if the assistant does have any influence, she won't actually help someone who pulls crap like that get a job.

Well...maybe some women would, but you need to ask yourself if that's really the kind of work environment you're seeking. Do want the job, or do you just want to get laid?