Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 6:09 pm

mrspock wrote:
I'm talking the natives who lived for centuries going WHOOO WHOOO around fires with shrunken heads and bones through their noses.

Tell us what you invented, I wanna hear some more of your crazy s**t.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 6:10 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Just out of curiosity what would a nation of sociopaths be like?

It wouldn't be - it's highly improbable that sociopaths would be able to form a functioning society.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 6:23 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

It wouldn't be - it's highly improbable that sociopaths would be able to form a functioning society.

Yeah and I think the same is true for Aspies. :)

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 6:38 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

Yeah and I think the same is true for Aspies. :)

Yeah, me too, for reasons that were highlighted before by a few posters. What concerns me is that usually the posts proposing something like this come from a perspective of hatred, resentment and a desire for revenge and they achieve nothing but reinforce the negative stereotypes regarding autistic people.

As the other guy said, I just want to be left alone - there would be no chance of that in an "aspie nation", driven by an us versus them mentality.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 6:41 pm

I don't think the idea of an "Aspie nation" is at all practical, but I think it's a worthwhile thought experiment to explore what such a nation might be like.

Here is an interesting example:

domineekee wrote:
What did you have in mind for the NT children who are born in your Aspie nation?

In my opinion, the NT children would just adapt to the local culture. NT children excel at adapting to whatever culture they happen to be born into. Then, when they grow up, they would quickly rise to the top in such people-oriented fields as management, sales, and politics, due to the absence of competition from too many other NT's in Aspie-land.

Given the wide variation in the traits of Aspies, who in many ways differ from each other more than they differ from NT's, the NT's in Aspie-land would still be in the middle of the range on a lot of traits (e.g. heightened vs. diminished senses) and thus would NOT stick out like a sore thumb in Aspie-land the way autistics stick out like a sore thumb in NT-dominated societies, all of which are relatively homogeneous compared to Aspie-land.

Because Aspies are so varied, Aspie-land would be a place where it is understood, more so than anywhere else, that everyone is unique and that everyone's unique abilities and needs are to be respected.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 3:48 am

I would not want any part of an aspie society created by the OP. It is based on the same idea that some groups of people are superior to others that Hans Asperger for whom the term “Aspie” was named after believed. I have been a victim of that mentality enough times to not want any part of propogating it. More importantly history and current times are replete with the destruction, death, and pain on a mass scale that this thinking leads to.

Related to supremacist reasoning of the OP I think a massive problem right off the bat would be how does this society define who is an Aspie, who Is NT and who is “just autistic”? Would documentation of a professional diagnosis be needed? There is little agreement about these questions now. Even if somehow an agreement can be reached on a definition of Aspie how or would this society deal with people deemed NT and Autistic but not Aspie? These issues need to be ironed out before we even deal with the problems of obtaining and keeping territory.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 10:10 am

mrspock wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Therefore, this thread's intended purpose seems to focus on providing a thinly-disguised excuse for expressing bigotry against NTs.
No, its about the need for an Aspie nation, whether we would all get along or not.
There is no such need, except in your mind. However, if you have the courage of your convictions, then go right ahead and found your country. I'm sure that the descendents of Rev. Jim Jones will have lots of advice for you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 10:12 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Newsflash: ASD people judge and dislike each other.

I've learned this over the past 14 years that I've been a WP member. Some members have turned on me, not naming names. I took the brunt of that a few times.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 10:20 pm

domineekee wrote:
mrspock wrote:
I'm talking the natives who lived for centuries going WHOOO WHOOO around fires with shrunken heads and bones through their noses.

I'm also eager to know. Bring it on!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 12:01 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
And ethnocentrism really disgusts me too.

I was just going to say that.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 10:53 am

As I said earlier, I don't think an Aspie nation-state is at all likely to happen. Here are my reasons why:

Given that no already-existing nation state is willing to give up its sovereignty, the only way such a state could conceivably come into existence would be for a group of billionnaires to purchase and transport enough rock and soil to build a new island outside the territorial waters of any already-existing nation state. A few tech billionaires have already discussed the possibility of building a libertarian utopia by such means (known as "sea-steading"), but, as far as I am aware, no one has actually begun serious work on such a project. So, if not enough billionaires feel sufficiently moved to build a new libertarian state, it is unlikely that enough billionaires would feel moved to build Aspie-land either.

Anyhow, IF Aspie-land were to be built, it would have to be at most an Aspie-FRIENDLY state, not an Aspie-ONLY state, for the following reasons: (1) The very high male-to-female ratio of an Aspie-only state would have all manner of unpleasant consequences for both the men and the women. (2) Aspie parents of NT children would not want their children to be exiled or treated as second-class citizens. (3) SOMEONE would have to handle the people-oriented chores like business management, which also requires better executive functioning than most Aspies have.

So the state would need to welcome not only Aspies but also their spouses, other family members, and possibly various other categories of people, with the criteria being much looser for women than for men.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 23 Oct 2018, 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 10:58 am

"Aspie-Only" is NOT "Aspie-Friendly".

The former is a ghetto, while the latter is an open, inclusive free state.

Lone Replicant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2018, 1:56 pm

mrspock wrote:
evilsithwraith666 wrote:
You almost had me until you started going into the heroic model of science and basically called the Southern Hemisphere stupid.

Seroiusly how many Southern Hemisphere Ben Franklins and Einsteins can you name? Its not racist its reality.

Indeed. I'm from Brazil. Believe me: being anti logic is the norm here. Act like a zombie without a brain and everyone will love you.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2018, 1:48 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
domineekee wrote:
mrspock wrote:

That's not the point. The point is that the aboriginal peoples of Africa below the Saharrah, Australia, and the Americas in most cases didn't get much past the hunter gatherer level. They were stuck where they were and would never have developed cities and advanced tech on their own. And the common thread here is a lack of ND people. Sure, they have culture and etc. And where did this get them? Nowhere. In fact it has in many cases been an obstacle in terms of bringing these people into modernity.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2018, 1:52 pm

mrspock wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
domineekee wrote:
mrspock wrote:

That's not the point...
That is the point, and you are trying to evade it. You also criticize "aboriginals" for their lack of inventiveness, insult them with stereotypes, and expect us to ignore your own lack of anything remarkable -- this is called "Hypocrisy", in case you were wondering.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2018, 1:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
mrspock wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
domineekee wrote:
mrspock wrote:

That's not the point...
That is the point, and you are trying to evade it. You also criticize "aboriginals" for their lack of inventiveness, insult them with stereotypes, and expect us to ignore your own lack of anything remarkable -- this is called "Hypocrisy", in case you were wondering.

Point is MY CIVILIZATION made everything you see around you, including the comp you are typing on now. That's my point. It doesn't matter who specifically made what.