Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2018, 9:59 am

For some reason this is usually a controversial topic in forums on Autism. My opinion, we need a nation state of some type for people like us. Why? Well firstly, there are certainly people who hate us and want us exterminated, just like the Jews during the 1930s. Don't believe this, just spend ten minutes at ASPartners or Kiwi Farms. I do not see high functioning Autism as a disease, just a difference, and we would thrive in a properly supportive environment.

Some objections I get: #1: We are not social, and wouldn't mate. I don't think this would be true in an Aspie nation, because I am always more social with people like myself. But also, the NTs would do the mating for us. How many here have two NT parents? I certainly do. An aside, I've often wondered why NTs view pooping out yet another needy brat as the peak of achievement, but that is neither here nor there.

#2: We invent nothing and would laze around like chimps. To this, I would point to places in Africa and South America where neurodiversity is all but unknown. In those places, the NTs have invented no science and almost no technology. My hypothesis is that all or nearly all of that comes from people not wired NT. Was Einstein on the spectrum? Possibly. But its impossible that he was NT. Same for Darwin, Newton, Tesla, and pretty much all the great scientists that made the really big advances. John Elder Robinson was a self taught genius in electronics FSS. And he counts it as a positive good that he has lost some of this in favor of new social skills? That's just NT brainwashing. Achievements of this type are no good to them if you are also socially awkward and don't have 50 brats to take care of.

evilsithwraith666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2018, 11:41 am

You almost had me until you started going into the heroic model of science and basically called the Southern Hemisphere stupid.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 11:47 am

I wouldn't go for it. I also love children.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:01 pm

#0: Establishing an Aspie Nation would be expensive, and no one wants to pay for it.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:08 pm

It wouldn't work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:11 pm

It wouldn't work....because "Aspie" is not a one-dimensional entity.

Aspies come in all shapes and sizes....and all political persuasions.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm

evilsithwraith666 wrote:
You almost had me until you started going into the heroic model of science and basically called the Southern Hemisphere stupid.

Seroiusly how many Southern Hemisphere Ben Franklins and Einsteins can you name? Its not racist its reality.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2018, 12:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
#0: Establishing an Aspie Nation would be expensive, and no one wants to pay for it.

Not if its organically grown simply by us becoming a majority and deciding to live together.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2018, 12:18 pm

Magna wrote:
It wouldn't work.

Why. I want concrete reasons, and not just you saying so.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:28 pm

mrspock wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Not if its organically grown simply by us becoming a majority and deciding to live together.
Where? Who is going to buy the real estate? How is it going to be paid for?

Let me give you an illustration: Some people have come to me looking for a "loan" to get their business started. When I ask to see their business plan, they say they don't have one. When I ask them why they don't get a loan from a bank, they day that their credit is not good enough. When I tell them that they're not getting the loan because of poor planning and lack of credit, they call me stingy and mean (among over things).

So, without land, without a plan, without funding, and without good credit, this idea of yours will never float.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm

What did you have in mind for the NT children who are born in your Aspie nation?

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm

I agree with a Aspie Nation. Atleast we don't have to worry about being judged/hated by everyone in a Aspie nation the way we are judged and disliked/hated literally by everyone that doesn't have AS/ASD in a almsot all NT nation.I also agree that AS/ASD is not a disability or a condition and simply a just a major Neurological difference,which also explains why a vast majority of NT's strongly dislike us and why they don't even make even the least bit of effort to understand us.Also in a Aspie Nation,we don't have to worry manipulative,judgmental people that spend their gossiping.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:39 pm

mrspock wrote:
Magna wrote:
It wouldn't work.

Why. I want concrete reasons, and not just you saying so.

Because you didn't use a question mark after your question above and in my world we would all be better served, myself included, if we were corrected when incorrect.

My point is that each of us as ND want/need our worlds to be individually particular and precise. I may find aspects of your idea of how an ND society should be structured and ordered to be counter to how I would want it to be. I think NTs share a lot more in common, whereas, as Kortie said, people with ASD are widely varied.

I've learned to live in this NT dominated and LOUD world given the amount of time I've been alive. Even so, if I had any bumper sticker on my car that would sum up my message to NT society it would probably simply say: "Just leave me the hell alone."

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2018, 12:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It wouldn't work....because "Aspie" is not a one-dimensional entity.

Aspies come in all shapes and sizes....and all political persuasions.

How would it not work? I believe that a Aspie/Autistic nation would probably work for Aspies, atleast a lot better than being in nation where we are very misunderstood and disliked by 99% of people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm

Magna wrote:
... if I had any bumper sticker on my car that would sum up my message to NT society it would probably simply say: "Just leave me the hell alone."
If Albert Camus had been an Aspie, he would likely have said, "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk beside me; I just want you to leave me the hell alone."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:50 pm

rick42 wrote:
... I believe that a Aspie/Autistic nation would probably work for Aspies, at least a lot better than being in nation where we are very misunderstood and disliked by 99% of people.
Belief is not proof of concept, and when that 99% is composed entirely of other Aspies/Autistics, then what?