Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 10:02 am

In school if your big and tall for your age why can that make you an easy target for bullying?

I remember when I was 15 in school this guy I knew who was 6ft2-6ft4 got picked on for his weight and height.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 11:17 am

It's not how big you are , it's your demeanor , if you come across as a gentle giant you might get picked on but......

you only have to crack a few skulls to stop this :twisted: <----- this is not advice

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 11:26 am

I was always head and shoulders above everyone else my own age at school... until my mid/late teens when most of them caught up. I was never bullied... ever. Not sure about my demeanour, I think if anyone had bothered to bully me I would probably have started crying.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 12:53 pm

I am 5’4” and I ascribed my bullying a job difficulties to my height. Even with the knowledge gained 5 years ago that I am autistic and how important autistic traits are to the ways other people view you as an easy target I believe my height is probably more of a reason for my difficulties then my autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:50 pm

I'm 6"2' with a big frame ( quite small nowadays :lol: ) and I never noticed how my size affected people and would often see people who I thought were bigger than me ( but it's been pointed out they were not ) , I wasn't very self aware.

If you fall outside of the average in school it's a reason to be picked on , too tall , too short , too thin , too fat , too pale , too ginger , too hairy , unusual interests - the list is endless

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 5:25 am

If you're "big" (not a string bean, and not fat, but truly 'big' and brawny) you can bully them back easily through physical intimidation.

There was a guy in eighth grade who was an over six foot tall string bean. We all called him "Lurch" after the butler in the then current "Addams Family" TV sitcom, partially because he was so freakishly tall, and partially because he had a funny last name that started with "L" that even kinda sounded like "Lurch". But just getting a nickname is hardly "bullying".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 3:44 am

I'm pretty oblivious to someone's height and or weight, unless it's really significant. Even then it's just something that I notice.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 9:15 am

I was always the smallest in my class, but I was bullied because there were just some mean people when I went to school. My social difficulties made it hard for me to establish long-lasting friendships growing up, but this is changing now.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 10:56 pm

If there's something about you that makes you stand out from others, kids will bully you because they're naturally cruel and malicious. And they usually don't outgrow it. :x

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 7:07 am

I was never tall (I'm only 5'8") but I was very overweight in highschool thanks to taking Risperdal.

I did get picked on some because of my weight but I honestly think I was more hard on myself than anybody else. I hated me for being so fat and I felt so ugly.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2018, 7:19 am

It seems like a bad idea to pick on someone who is bigger and taller than you because they're probably stronger than you, and could hurt you if they weren't happy. There was a video from a few years ago where that happened.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 8:37 am

SilentJessica wrote:
It seems like a bad idea to pick on someone who is bigger and taller than you because they're probably stronger than you, and could hurt you if they weren't happy. There was a video from a few years ago where that happened.

I think some people find it easier to bully somebody like that if they have a gentle demeanor. Think about it, if you bully somebody smaller and weaker than you than the people watching might feel sorry for them and come to their defense. But if you bully somebody who looks big enough to kick your butt nobody really cares about them and if they decide to hurt you because they can't take it anymore people look at them like they are the evil ones.

It's like men who abuse their wives compared to women who abuse their husbands. Everybody feels sorry for an abused woman but nobody really gives a s**t about a man who is being abused by his wife in fact they treat it as laughable.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 9:04 am

TW1ZTY,

You are exactly right. I don't think bullying is right ever. I have seen couples go at it in public places and it's pretty toxic on both ends. Some of the women have trashier mouths than the men.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 9:53 am

IstominFan wrote:
TW1ZTY,

You are exactly right. I don't think bullying is right ever. I have seen couples go at it in public places and it's pretty toxic on both ends. Some of the women have trashier mouths than the men.

Thanks IstominFan! It's good to know that I can be observant and right about some things in life. :)

Yeah I notice that kind of stuff happening all the time when it comes to bullying.