Would welcome thoughts on face to face talking

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 10:41 am

I often don't say much. It's not always easy to know how to respond appropriately.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 2:06 pm

Not much we strangers on the Net can do to help you based upon just that. :lol:

All I can say is when meeting strangers just make eye contact, keep the talk small (stick to non divisive subjects), and use a little a "self disclosure" now and then( stuff about yourself, what you do etc) with roughly the same degree as that of the other person more or less.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:38 pm

Wasn't specifically asking for help, though thanks for your suggestions.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:43 pm

Is this with regards to your assessment or just in general.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:47 pm

More in general,but could apply to the assessment as well. Some days it's easier to talk than others.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:57 pm

firemonkey wrote:
More in general,but could apply to the assessment as well. Some days it's easier to talk than others.

I can do it but don't find it easy , conversation usually fizzles out pretty quickly. If it's an information exchange then it's easier. As long as it's a quickish conversation my anxiety stays low.

With your assessment don't sweat it ( easier said than done ), you need to be yourself , your assessor will coax all they need out of you

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 9:48 pm

Sometimes you don't really need to talk: you can just show that you are paying attention by nodding, making eye contact, mirroring the speaker (smiling when they smile, etc.), and/or making noises like "mm-hmm." A big smile or a pat on the shoulder can show that you are bonding with someone even though you have nothing to say.

I try to meet people online, and I always put in my profile that I am quiet so people don't expect me to talk much. Doing activities with people instead of just talking is another strategy to avoid awkward silences and stuff.

When I have nothing to say, I may just say "ok" to acknowledge that I heard and understand. If I think the speaker expects me to respond and I have no idea how to respond, I ask why they said what they said to me (as tactfully as possible). In the past I would make up with some BS response, but that doesn't work for me. I've found it better to just be my normal quiet self. It's less awkward than fake conversation.