Should I start dating again or just get a dog?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2018, 10:51 am

I sometimes want more company. But when I think about the whole nightmare of dating and all that goes with it I wonder if I would be better off getting another dog instead. I was dating about 3 years ago but I got my heart stomped and used. I thought I was OK on my own until my little schnauzer died just over a year ago. She was such a good friend. I would like a proper partner I suppose but I get on better with dogs than people.

Any advice?

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

AQ38
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2018, 11:00 am

I'm in the same place.

I want a Doberman named "Husband" so I can have his balls cut off and take him to dog training class and say, "Husband, heel! Husband, sit! Good Husband, here's a doggie treat!"

But I also want a pit bull so I will just be safe. Rape, assault, gaslighting, victim-blaming, selective enforcement of DV laws, all the sucky things you worry about when you are single and vulnerable would be just as much of a nonissue if my pit bull were even remotely as loyal as pit bulls normally are. I would NEVER name him "Husband", but I could name him "Legend" or any other of the baby names I loved that were just too far out there to give to a real kid.

I thought I didn't like dogs, but I do. I'm definitely going to let a dog into my life soon, I'm just not buying one today because I want to put just as much energy and love into my puppy as I wish I could have put into my children or else I hope I am every bit as understanding about my rescue dog's PTSD and/or messed up puppyhood as I would have wanted to be about a fiftysomething or sixtysomething new boyfriend.

So I think what I'm trying to say is that even though dogs aren't people, they aren't things or a "get out of social obligations free" card either. We'll both be good puppy parents when we're ready.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 11:20 am

You can have both but only one will be guaranteed loyal if you treat them right

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 2:52 pm

Personally, if my landlord would allow me to have a little cocker spaniel, I'd be ten times happier than if a woman moved in.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Oct 2018, 9:45 pm

If my wife and I break up it'll be a very short time before I get a dog.

Individual circumstances are at the heart of the matter.

Generally, I do believe dogs can be a very positive factor.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 11:32 pm

Dogs have stinky breath and are pretty sloppy kissers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 6:16 am

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
I sometimes want more company. But when I think about the whole nightmare of dating and all that goes with it I wonder if I would be better off getting another dog instead. I was dating about 3 years ago but I got my heart stomped and used. I thought I was OK on my own until my little schnauzer died just over a year ago. She was such a good friend. I would like a proper partner I suppose but I get on better with dogs than people.

Any advice?

If you don’t care about romance and sex then go for a dog.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2018, 7:02 am

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I think I'm going to go for a dog. I'm not interested in romance and can live without sex but most of all, I can meet a dogs needs without getting myself too stressed to function. That's not the case with me and humans.

I had my last dog from the age of 4 to 14 after I rescued her from a puppy farm where she was being used as a breeding b***h. She had loads of issues but I was able to help her and calm her and bring her back to being a happy little sausage. Humans frequently stress and confuse me, but dogs are easily lovable.

Thanks again!

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 7:30 am

In my experience, dogs attract women, so one might actually help you with the other.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2018, 8:02 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
In my experience, dogs attract women, so one might actually help you with the other.

LOL! I like your thinking!

AQ38

20 Oct 2018, 8:25 am

Enjoy your pooch!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 8:36 am

Ten votes for Dog. :heart:

AQ38

20 Oct 2018, 9:23 am

https://www.rover.com/blog/important-pit-bull-facts/

I don't love them because they're cute. To be bluntly honest, they're aesthetically awkward and weird to me and I'd never want to paint a picture of one or embroider one on a shirt unless it was one specific pooch that probably hasn't been born yet.

They are cute because I love them.

I hope you do too, but there are other breeds that are much lower maintenance and also wonderful in their own ways.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2018, 11:35 am

AQ38 wrote:
https://www.rover.com/blog/important-pit-bull-facts/

I don't love them because they're cute. To be bluntly honest, they're aesthetically awkward and weird to me and I'd never want to paint a picture of one or embroider one on a shirt unless it was one specific pooch that probably hasn't been born yet.

They are cute because I love them.

I hope you do too, but there are other breeds that are much lower maintenance and also wonderful in their own ways.

They're supposed to be lovely dogs if brought up properly but I have mobility issues so I need a smaller dog I can manage easily and who I can train to walk with my wheelchair or scooter.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 11:45 am

A Labrador.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 9:31 am

Try to find someone who likes animals, in your case dogs, as much as you do. Is there a special event sponsored by the Humane Society in your town? I have attended some, and they're really fun.