Feeling like you’re doing the wrong thing no matter what

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mapofsteel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2018, 3:40 pm

Are there any other Aspies or autistics that feel like they’re doing the wrong thing no matter what we do or don’t say or do? I know I feel this way a lot of the time myself.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 3:46 pm

Do you mean kind of frequent feeling of overall shame for no reason? If so, then, yes.

I think it comes from being corrected and criticized starting at an early age for things said or done that don't fit "the norm".

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Oct 2018, 11:50 pm

I felt like that alot in life due to things not working out well for me & getting in trouble a lot. I kind of learned it's better to just do nothing sometimes instead of wasting time, energy, & resources trying to do something so I have more available for dealing with the fallout of things going wrong. There is a term called Learned Helplessness that I think applies to me in some cases.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 7:22 am

One of the biggest things I struggle with in dealing with other people is covert aggression (what some people mistakenly call passive aggression). I hate that it's normal for people to be indirect and cowardly when they want to say something. I feel the world would be a better place if everyone was as blunt and honest as we generally are.
But to respond to your question, because of what I mentioned above I feel like I ALWAYS play right into the hands of conniving NTs who are far more socially and emotionally equipped to play us like fools. Actually I shouldn't speak for everyone but that's certainly how I feel. Perfect example: I've recently lost my job, in part, for accessing other people's mail from the work mail box even though I was the one who reported someone else for doing it in front of me. And now I have an upcoming court date for assaulting the guy that basically got me fired for what he did.
But as bad as I make that sound I do feel its important to still take responsibility for my own actions. That also makes me feel better, to not blame all my woes on someone else. I feel more empowered to do better in the future.
But yeah, I definitely relate to what everyone in this thread is talking about.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

Objectively speaking, during the years 2011-2012, everything was wrong. Poor sleep, anxiety and health problems (all of which I have fortunately overcome), combined to make me a mess. Today, I still have some embarrassing moments, but nothing like the awful times during those years.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 9:19 am

Sometimes, I'll be doing something normal, and for no apparent reason I'll remember my dad criticizing me for the way I was doing something similar as a child. I don't actually "hear" his voice, but the memory might be so strong that I feel sad and irritated.

He's been dead for almost 15 years.

"You're holding that knife wrong!", "You're gonna cut your finger off!", "Did you cook that long enough?", "Are you trying to kill us all?"...

His constant criticisms still "haunt" me in that something as mundane as the clank of a cast-iron skillet settling on the stove will remind me of his voice telling me that real men don't enjoy cooking ... or some other such nonsense.

No, I do not believe in ghosts, nor do I believe than his ghost is haunting me. I believe that the memories a parent lays down for their kids early in life stay with them forever, lurking just under consciousness and ready to be triggered by an ordinary event.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 10:04 am

Fnord wrote:
Sometimes, I'll be doing something normal, and for no apparent reason I'll remember my dad criticizing me for the way I was doing something similar as a child. I don't actually "hear" his voice, but the memory might be so strong that I feel sad and irritated.

He's been dead for almost 15 years.

"You're holding that knife wrong!", "You're gonna cut your finger off!", "Did you cook that long enough?", "Are you trying to kill us all?"...

His constant criticisms still "haunt" me in that something as mundane as the clank of a cast-iron skillet settling on the stove will remind me of his voice telling me that real men don't enjoy cooking ... or some other such nonsense.

No, I do not believe in ghosts, nor do I believe than his ghost is haunting me. I believe that the memories a parent lays down for their kids early in life stay with them forever, lurking just under consciousness and ready to be triggered by an ordinary event.

Thank you for sharing this. It reinforces that fact that I have to fight the very strong urges I have to criticize the way my kids perform functions. I do that far too much.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 10:57 am

But if the action actually causes them to cut their fingers.....

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 11:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
But if the action actually causes them to cut their fingers.....

That's the challenge I wrangle with all the time with the kids, Kortie. I'm a "worst case scenario" kind of person. I freely admit it.

I see a plate hanging almost halfway off of the counter and I see that plate falling to the floor, breaking into many pieces, needing to be cleaned up, not all pieces being found, the dog potentially eating a shard and then having to be taken to the vet for a $1,000 vet bill...............all because the plate might fall the way one of our kids placed it on the counter. "But, maybe that won't all happen." True. But it's hard for me not to think that way.

Should I say nothing and go put the plate fully on the counter? I don't know what that really solves.

Should I correct our child and in doing so, harp on them about such things?

It's a tightrope act for sure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 11:36 am

Sometimes, you just have to put the plate on the counter without saying anything....

But if there's imminent danger--if your kid has a knife, and is about to cut his/her finger--you have to stop it forcefully. Then offer an explanation at their age/maturity level.

And don't get hysterical....even though it's hard not to.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Oct 2018, 3:25 pm

Magna wrote:
Should I say nothing and go put the plate fully on the counter? I don't know what that really solves.

Should I correct our child and in doing so, harp on them about such things?

It's a tightrope act for sure.
Could you correct the kid without harping. For example. "I'd really appreciate it if you could put the plate fully on the counter next time because I don't want it to fall & break". There's a huge differnce between asking or telling nicely & politely vs fussing/chewing someone out over something.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2018, 4:02 pm

I'm not sure if you guys ever read any of the Harry Potter books and/or watched the movies, but whenever I screw something up, I act a bit like Dobby and hate myself because of it. Like thoughts including but not limited to: "You suck and are not good at anything", "you suck and can't do anything right", "you're a lazy, incompetent, horrible, useless human being", and of course the simple "Bad James". I feel like every single day I mess something up and I have a crisis of some kind. Oh and my self-esteem is nothing.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 5:50 pm

I remember several marriages like that. :D

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2018, 6:06 pm

Lol. Can you describe it? Like just how you dealt with it?

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2018, 6:31 pm

I just remind myself that I am an alien on a covert mission to observe and study life on Earth, so as long as I don't jeopardize the mission, I try to not worry about it.

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2018, 6:40 pm

jamthis12 wrote:
I'm not sure if you guys ever read any of the Harry Potter books and/or watched the movies, but whenever I screw something up, I act a bit like Dobby and hate myself because of it. Like thoughts including but not limited to: "You suck and are not good at anything", "you suck and can't do anything right", "you're a lazy, incompetent, horrible, useless human being", and of course the simple "Bad James". I feel like every single day I mess something up and I have a crisis of some kind. Oh and my self-esteem is nothing.

I think this right here is why I would recommend against consuming alcohol for anyone with even the mildest expression of autism. I don't want to change the topic, but this sort of thinking is exactly what is exacerbated in alcohol addiction. So in a sense, alcohol "enhances" this thought process and has the potential to make this problem many times worse and you'll be lucky to find anyone else that actually understands the actual depth of it.

Last edited by Rustifer on 22 Oct 2018, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.