Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 1:45 pm

This is my least managed sensitivity, but is really dangerous. Smoke sends me into flight, I just had a meltdown about an hour ago from this, I tripped and fell in the middle of a parking lot after suddenly smelling smoke.

I have had several close calls with cars, so this does worry me and a lot of people that know me. I have gotten pretty good at grounding myself, and cutting the meltdowns short, but I want to know how to better avoid it from happening in the first place.

And anyone know any other methods for communication other than writing or flip cards? I cannot talk for a while when this happens, I use flip cards but it isn't perfect, especially because people get worried and start asking questions which is really frustrating when I cannot answer. (I cannot write because my tremors get really bad during meltdown.)

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 2:15 pm

8O

I am trying to understand this.

Just smelling "smoke" ( do you mean cigarette smoke, or what?) sends into such a panic that you will run across parking lots and trip in front of moving cars? And it causes you such violent tremors that you cant either speak, nor write?

Never ever heard of such a thing before.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 2:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
8O

I am trying to understand this.

Just smelling "smoke" ( do you mean cigarette smoke, or what?) sends into such a panic that you will run across parking lots and trip in front of moving cars? And it causes you such violent tremors that you cant either speak, nor write?

Never ever heard of such a thing before.

Yes.
Cigarette smoke and weed.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 2:56 pm

That's....

EXTREME!! !

But you talk about it like its an ordinary condition.

If your hands shake too much to write then I suppose that you would also be unable to type text onto an electronic device either .

Maybe you could get a device, or adapt a common smart phone device, with some kind of ap that stores stock phrases that describe situations. So you could whip it out and call up the phrases on the screen (kinda like how the cops have numbers to describe situations over their radios).

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 3:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
That's....

EXTREME!! !

But you talk about it like its an ordinary condition.

If your hands shake too much to write then I suppose that you would also be unable to type text onto an electronic device either .

Maybe you could get a device, or adapt a common smart phone device, with some kind of ap that stores stock phrases that describe situations. So you could whip it out and call up the phrases on the screen (kinda like how the cops have numbers to describe situations over their radios).

The tremors make using a phone pretty hard at that point, but I will still look into it. For longer mute spells after meltdown, it may be useful.

I know it is extreme but this has been an issue most of my life, so it doesn't seem so extreme. (Not the tremors part, that started about a year and a half ago.)

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 10:26 pm

It doesn't seem that extreme to me. Smoke = fire danger and a fight or flight reaction makes sense. Or maybe it just makes sense to me because I'm the same. Smell of any kind triggers me in different ways.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 10:38 pm

starcats wrote:
It doesn't seem that extreme to me. Smoke = fire danger and a fight or flight reaction makes sense. Or maybe it just makes sense to me because I'm the same. Smell of any kind triggers me in different ways.

My own mind puts it more akin to drowning. At least that is how I picture drowning.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 3:32 am

Arganger wrote:
starcats wrote:

My own mind puts it more akin to drowning. At least that is how I picture drowning.

So its kinda like claustrophobia? Fear of suffocation?

In a way that makes sense. Victims of fire are more likely to die of inhalation of gasses than to die of being burned. But even so...

Fire maybe a rational thing to be afraid of on a certain level. But humans have been using cooking fires in their homes for a million years now. And have been burning incense in religious ceremonies for thousands of years. And then about five hundred years ago Columbus stumbled upon the Americas where the natives had been sticking leaves into pipes and setting said leaves on fire for thousands of years. The custom spread like wild fire to every corner of Eurasia and Africa within a couple of generations after Columbus and Sir Walter Raleigh. And soon folks in the Eastern hemisphere expanded upon the idea of burning tobacco in pipes to also putting cannabis and or opium into pipes too!

So playing with fire and smoke has been an integral part of human life for a long time. So getting THAT crazy about a whiff of smoke is a debilitating handicap. Water can drown you. But you cant go into a panicked run out the door and into oncoming traffic in the street every time you see your mama turn on the tap to wash the dishes in the kitchen.

Not trying to put you down or anything. Am just fascinated by this phenom.

Have you ever tried hypnosis to over come this issue?

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 12:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Arganger wrote:
starcats wrote:

So its kinda like claustrophobia? Fear of suffocation?

In a way that makes sense. Victims of fire are more likely to die of inhalation of gasses than to die of being burned. But even so...

Fire maybe a rational thing to be afraid of on a certain level. But humans have been using cooking fires in their homes for a million years now. And have been burning incense in religious ceremonies for thousands of years. And then about five hundred years ago Columbus stumbled upon the Americas where the natives had been sticking leaves into pipes and setting said leaves on fire for thousands of years. The custom spread like wild fire to every corner of Eurasia and Africa within a couple of generations after Columbus and Sir Walter Raleigh. And soon folks in the Eastern hemisphere expanded upon the idea of burning tobacco in pipes to also putting cannabis and or opium into pipes too!

So playing with fire and smoke has been an integral part of human life for a long time. So getting THAT crazy about a whiff of smoke is a debilitating handicap. Water can drown you. But you cant go into a panicked run out the door and into oncoming traffic in the street every time you see your mama turn on the tap to wash the dishes in the kitchen.

Not trying to put you down or anything. Am just fascinated by this phenom.

Have you ever tried hypnosis to over come this issue?

I have never tried hypnosis, but seeing as this is a sensory processing issue, meaning there is physically something wrong with the way the brain is handling the information, I have doubts that would work anymore than it would with eyesight.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm

What do you mean by flip cards? Do you have a card that says "I have a very, very strong sensitivity to smell and that can cause me to become disoriented and produce body tremors". Is this akin to communication cards sold by Princess Aspian at COMMUNICATION CARDS ???

Is your only smell sensitivity to smoke or does it include many other smells?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 12:52 pm

Arganger wrote:
I have never tried hypnosis, but seeing as this is a sensory processing issue, meaning there is physically something wrong with the way the brain is handling the information, I have doubts that would work anymore than it would with eyesight.

A trauma therapist might think this is related to a past trauma involving smoke when you were a very young child.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 1:18 pm

jimmy m wrote:
What do you mean by flip cards? Do you have a card that says "I have a very, very strong sensitivity to smell and that can cause me to become disoriented and produce body tremors". Is this akin to communication cards sold by Princess Aspian at COMMUNICATION CARDS ???

Is your only smell sensitivity to smoke or does it include many other smells?

Similar, I have a bunch of cards with basic phrases and one explaining my condition on a ring that I can flip to the one I want and show it to people.

I have sensitivity to many smells, smoke is the one that gives me the strongest reaction though. Another big one is perfumes. I could count on my hands the amount of smells I actually like.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 3:10 pm

I have a little bit of smell sensitivity but just not as dramatic as yours. I hated perfumes and masking smells like those used in deodorants. Many types of new clothes are treated with chemicals and they can be a little overwhelming when I walk into a clothing store in the mall. But at times I consider this sensitivity as a gift. For example I am a little sensitive to different types of smoke (such as the smell of burning trash, melting electrical wiring, wood smoke) and at work if I smell certain smells I will immediately investigate and track its origins preventing further damage. My sensitivity is a little more acute than normal.

I do like the smell of essential oils. I wish I could point to one that may offer some relief. Perhaps Passion Flower Essential Oil. The internet seems to recommend Lavender, Chamomile, Neroli, Bergamot and Lime. Anyways it may be worth your effort to investigate these.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 3:32 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I have a little bit of smell sensitivity but just not as dramatic as yours. I hated perfumes and masking smells like those used in deodorants. Many types of new clothes are treated with chemicals and they can be a little overwhelming when I walk into a clothing store in the mall. But at times I consider this sensitivity as a gift. For example I am a little sensitive to different types of smoke (such as the smell of burning trash, melting electrical wiring, wood smoke) and at work if I smell certain smells I will immediately investigate and track its origins preventing further damage. My sensitivity is a little more acute than normal.

I do like the smell of essential oils. I wish I could point to one that may offer some relief. Perhaps Passion Flower Essential Oil. The internet seems to recommend Lavender, Chamomile, Neroli, Bergamot and Lime. Anyways it may be worth your effort to investigate these.

I only like citrus essential oils but half of my family is allergic to those. We are looking for a way to use that without harming my family. Definitely may be useful once I reach collage.

I hate the rest of essential oils.

Because of both smell and texture sensitivity it took me years before I could find a deodorant I could use.
I use Crystal deodorant, no sent, seems to work, and is like rubbing a rock on yourself.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 5:02 pm

As far as deodorant, I have recently began making my own. I take a small jar and fill it with some natural coconut oil, then I add baking soda and a few drops of Lavender essential oil. Most deodorants mask the smell the bacteria under your armpits produce. Baking soda kills the bacteria and as a result it keep you somewhat scent free and it will last for a couple days.

There are different ways to use essential oils. These include topical application, inhalation and ingestion. I always apply it to my skin and let the oil be absorbed through my skin and into my bloodstream. Especially if you and your family are very sensitive to the smell of essential oils, you might test the oil by applying it to the soles of your feet. It is not only the safety place to apply but also when you wear shoes it is not easily detectable.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 6:21 pm

I was waiting for the subway home today and someone walked by and gave off the briefest smell of wood fire smoke from their clothes. I had an anxiety attack all the way home.