Ever Had a Sudden Change in Music Taste?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MisterBobzilla
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2018, 6:17 pm

I had about two to three days ago.

I used to be into extreme metal and would listen to that on a religious basis. For at least 5 years I have loved extreme metal. I would use it to cope with anxiety, but it became a vicious cycle and it would drive me into anxiety further and further as I would crawl to it as a sort of escape, blindly driving me further into despair ever-so-slowly. I started to get into shoegazing as a result to balance out the negative vibes I would consistently get through death/black metal but it was not enough and it only slowed down the deterioration process.

I remember liking the music presented in fractal zoom videos and would sometimes play those just to listen to the different style tunes they would play, and one favorite video of mine featured an uplifting vocal trance song on it, and while the vocals slightly took away from the experience, the beat was awesome and I would listen to the melody. It was so different than any of the metal I was listening to at the time.

I then remembered that I looked up a trance mix playlist a couple years ago and thought to myself, 'maybe I could try one of these.' I clicked on an uplifting trance playlist and decided to give it a whirl.

Within 4 minutes of the video, I ditched metal, simply put. Uplifting trance arrested my heart and soul and I have been listening to it almost exclusively for the last 3 days. My mood has skyrocketed dramatically within a day and the music really puts my mind in a special place.

I still listen to occasional shoegazing and punk rock. They do not have the negative vibes of the extreme metal I used to listen to. The former sounds like floating on clouds and the latter is just ridiculously fun. Trance is on a whole 'nother level though. Sublime, all I can say.

What was your experience? :D

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 6:33 pm

I learned to like electronic music in spin/cycle class.

8)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Oct 2018, 10:42 pm

I go through phases with what I'm currently really into. For example I may go through a phase where I'll listen to mostly Glam Rock, then Pop, then Comedy, then Punk ect. I still like the other stuff even thou I'm not listening to it much thou. I also used to hate Country as a kid & teen but suddenly started liking it after I realized how much of it crossed over into Pop. I was also going through a bad depression over screwing up my 1st relationship & some Country songs were really relatable.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 11:59 pm

Not that extreme and I would never give up metal.

MisterBobzilla
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2018, 1:34 am

thewrll wrote:
Not that extreme and I would never give up metal.

Did to help myself get out of my self-pitying funk. Lots of depressive black metal discarded.

MisterBobzilla
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2018, 4:30 am

I tried metal again and the furthest I could get was thrash metal, and even then, could only listen to two songs before I reverted back to punk rock and trance. Metal just does not feel the same anymore. The furthest I would get towards metal might be Metallica's self-titled album, which is pure heavy metal.

Trance brings me back to my happy mindset though. It is the be all, end all of my music taste. The chaos of metal is enjoyable in very small bursts but if it starts to kill my mood, I quickly revert to my love of trance.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 4:12 pm

DSBM is the best, it gives me the feel of being depressed without being depressed. Never been depressed.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2018, 11:53 pm

I used to listen to mostly classical rock, like The Doors. Then in my late twenties I started listening to alternative rock like Devo, They Might Be Giants, Garbage, etc. That happened primarily because a friend listened to mostly the alternative sound, and I found I really liked it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 9:30 pm

When I got into industrial around 16-17ish, I mostly abandoned guitar driven music for synths for an extended period.
Hip-hop has steadily grown from a very small percentage of what I listen to into the vast majority (>90%) of what I listen to over the past 15 years.

I don't usually stop liking music I used to listen to extensively, it just gets pushed off of my plate, so to speak. Grindcore, black metal, industrial, crust punk, eurobeat, etc still hold appeal to me, I'm just usually in the mood for boom-bap.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う