Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 8:25 pm

I recently lost my smartphone while I was out of state so I had to get a temporary flip phone. I'll be moving out and would like for my phone bill to be as cheap as possible. I love smartphones but I noticed that once I'm on a smartphone I can't stop using it. Then there's data. If I use a lot of data my phone bill will be through the roof, like it was with my smartphone.

Basically, I want to save a lot of money so I can buy things that I think are more important, like food from the local health food store which is pricey but worth more to me than a phone. Any advice.

Flip phones are cute and very nostalgic too.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 8:34 pm

One way to save on the data bill is to use a wifi connection for data with a smartphone.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 9:38 pm

BTDT wrote:
One way to save on the data bill is to use a wifi connection for data with a smartphone.

That and set data limits on your phone. Every android phone has an option in the settings to do so. No reason to ever go over data limits on a phone.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 10:57 am

Yes, it should be cheaper. My phone costs me less than £20 a year because it's the simplest "pay as you go" phone that I could buy, and I use it only for texts and a handful of voice calls. But you have to balance that against what you would lose; for example, not being able to access WP while you are not at home (assuming you have some other way to do it at home otherwise.)

At the moment, you don't have the smart-phone. See how you get along with it for a little while, and if it suits you, stick with it. Otherwise, there's no reason that you can't change your mind, and maybe use some of the other tips that people have given to limit your spending.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Oct 2018, 9:49 am

Some phone networks won't accept old flip phones. You'd get more choices for network shopping/comparing if you have a smart phone.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition