I really am a cripple, you know.

Page 16 of 22 [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 9:52 am

Claradoon wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
You have a choice: be homeless and die sooner than necessary, or accept residential care and live healthier and longer. It's your call.

"Healthier and longer." That's the voice of somebody who's never tried it. My first coffee in the posh residence, I sat with an old lady who told me her family plans for Easter weekend. This was Good Friday. The plans were the usual for a relative's last Easter on earth. They were to pick her up and bring her to their home, after an hour with kids, put her to bed, wake on Easter for breakfast in bed and an hour's egg-hunt, then back to residence.

That was Good Friday. She went upstairs and hanged herself.

After 2 years, I got out of there before the same thing should come to me. Healthier and longer indeed.

This reminds me of a story from my own family. My very elderly father was being threatened by a visit from my narcissistic sister, the one who killed herself this past February. He had a bad heart and uncertain prognosis, at age 85. He told his wife, "I'd rather be dead than put up with any more of (my narcissistic sister's) drama." He meant it, too!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 10:13 am

It's better if one lives in a nursing home, or any sort of residence--rather than the streets.

However, there is a "soulless" aspect, at times, to some of these places. The nurses, social workers, etc. in some of these places are often overworked, and don't really adhere to the "human" element of relating to people.

People in nursing homes and residences crave friendship, like anybody does. They frequently feel lonely. I suppose they can make friends with other residents---but it's not the same thing. People are institutionalized in nursing homes. Many lose the "human" aspects of themselves (like in prison).

Some people prefer the streets because of the freedom it provides. Plus these street people can meet other street people, and be friends with them. They don't have to follow rules. Some are willing to endure the rather extreme aggravation of homelessness in order to have freedom.

I feel like ASS-P found the Patterson residence to be soulless. It didn't seem like he was treated well. He felt isolated. He felt ripped off (with some justification). He wanted freedom; he didn't want to be confined. He felt confined.

Still, all in all, based upon ASS-P's health, it would be better if he was in a place where he can sleep indoors, rather than sleeping outdoors.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 11:15 am

I understand that, but don't relate to it personally. I prefer to be left alone to my own devices for the most part. This type of socializing on the internet is plenty for me. And I'm too withdrawn because of my autism to really socialize the standard way anyways. Just knowing there will people there and if I call out for help someone is likely to be right there to assist is enough for me. I've never had any real freedom because it's not practical for me to go off somewhere on my own. While awake I'll be spending most of my time with my door shut reading and watching stuff and posting and be happy as a clam. But I can understand how that's not for everyone.

If Ass-p prefers not to live in a care home I respect that. But there will be the consequences he's always posting about that comes with that decision. It also seems to me from what little I understand of it, that having a stable living arrangement and having an assigned social worker, is a proviso of the attorney (who I guess is an executor) to start sending funds again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 11:37 am

I absolutely agree that being somewhere that has a bed, with access to medical treatment, would be optimal for ASS-P. No doubt about that. But I also wish he could be in a place where he can invite friends, rather than it being sort of like a halfway house.

I was speaking about the feelings of ASS-P, and some other homeless people I have known and seen in interviews. I can't really "relate" to it all that well, either I would hate to be out in the streets; I guess I would be able to handle it after a while----but it's very difficult to be out there in the streets.

What I truly wish is that ASS-P would take the opportunity to appear "less homeless," and at least pay lip service to the social workers, while mocking them under his breath, or to us. Maybe kiss their butts a little, so that he will appear to be a better candidate for a subsidized apartment. If he "appears homeless," and is irascible to the social workers, they would feel that investing in him would be a bad idea.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 11:58 am

It seems to me Robin along with others have posted a lot of resources along those lines. I think not being a drug addict or alcoholic or an ex felon etc is what works the most in one's favor when it comes to getting social services and section 8 or whatever else is available. But I'm sure it requires a lot of work and persistence to achieve. Persistence pays off as they say. But quite honestly seeing as this has been going on 11 years according to posts on WP, I really don't see any permanent resolution ever taking place.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 12:25 pm

I hope ASS-P can see the forest for the trees finally....

If he does after 11 years, I believe it would be worth it.

If he doesn't, then it will seem futile again.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 12:30 pm

Another reason nursing homes seem soulless is dementia. Many of the residents have lost all aspects of personality, due to advanced brain disease. Not because they are glum about their residence - because their brains are literally dying, losing neurons, clogged up with plaques and tangles. If they were still "home" with their families, they would look exactly the same.

Not everybody in a nursing home or other residential facility has dementia. Some are convalescing from an injury or surgery, others have physical deterioration that leaves their minds intact.

An eighty year old woman with advanced dementia froze to death last winter, after wandering outside late at night from a nursing home and being unable to find her way back. Of course the nursing home was very much liable for that death, and suffered penalties for it, as they should. This is just one of the many reasons care homes must be cautious about letting people go out unsupervised. Adults with dementia who are not in residential facilities face similar dangers; it is not uncommon in cold climates for an adult to be found frozen to death in a field after wandering off.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 12:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I absolutely agree that being somewhere that has a bed, with access to medical treatment, would be optimal for ASS-P. No doubt about that. But I also wish he could be in a place where he can invite friends, rather than it being sort of like a halfway house.

I was speaking about the feelings of ASS-P, and some other homeless people I have known and seen in interviews. I can't really "relate" to it all that well, either I would hate to be out in the streets; I guess I would be able to handle it after a while----but it's very difficult to be out there in the streets.

What I truly wish is that ASS-P would take the opportunity to appear "less homeless," and at least pay lip service to the social workers, while mocking them under his breath, or to us. Maybe kiss their butts a little, so that he will appear to be a better candidate for a subsidized apartment. If he "appears homeless," and is irascible to the social workers, they would feel that investing in him would be a bad idea.

That wandering lifestyle worked for A-P for many years, but now he is aware that it is much harder on his body. Old age is a b***h.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2018, 2:06 pm

EzraS wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
You have a choice: be homeless and die sooner than necessary, or accept residential care and live healthier and longer. It's your call.

"Healthier and longer." That's the voice of somebody who's never tried it. My first coffee in the posh residence, I sat with an old lady who told me her family plans for Easter weekend. This was Good Friday. The plans were the usual for a relative's last Easter on earth. They were to pick her up and bring her to their home, after an hour with kids, put her to bed, wake on Easter for breakfast in bed and an hour's egg-hunt, then back to residence.

That was Good Friday. She went upstairs and hanged herself.

After 2 years, I got out of there before the same thing should come to me. Healthier and longer indeed.

I don't understand. Are you saying she would have been better off living out on the streets than in a nursing home?

A nursing home might have been something to try. This was a residence for "independent" old people. Ezra, I like you but the rapid-fire assumptions upset me.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2018, 2:52 pm

Ezra, I wonder where my reply went. That wasn't a nursing home. Anyway, it just occurred to me that sometimes you respond with a reference to your own future. I apologize if I seemed to imply that your fate would be dismal. No! I am jealous of your youth. The 'system' wised up in time to catch you early, they had researched and developed ways to help you. Your path was probably tough but not impossible. I do not think you will have the experiences that I have.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 8:51 pm

Claradoon wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I don't understand. Are you saying she would have been better off living out on the streets than in a nursing home?

A nursing home might have been something to try. This was a residence for "independent" old people. Ezra, I like you but the rapid-fire assumptions upset me.

Sorry I upset you. I really did not understand what you were getting at.

Claradoon wrote:
Ezra, I wonder where my reply went. That wasn't a nursing home. Anyway, it just occurred to me that sometimes you respond with a reference to your own future. I apologize if I seemed to imply that your fate would be dismal. No! I am jealous of your youth. The 'system' wised up in time to catch you early, they had researched and developed ways to help you. Your path was probably tough but not impossible. I do not think you will have the experiences that I have.

I don't know what your experiences have been. I don't see my future as dismal, although I could I suppose. While I am young, I am basically an invalid with significant mental and physical disability. Being young to me just means I will have to live with it longer. Depending on how long I live. Originally they were saying I would not live that long and I have come close to dying a couple of times. These days I have a better prognosis of longevity. But that might not hold out.

BeaArthur wrote:
An eighty year old woman with advanced dementia froze to death last winter, after wandering outside late at night from a nursing home and being unable to find her way back. Of course the nursing home was very much liable for that death, and suffered penalties for it, as they should. This is just one of the many reasons care homes must be cautious about letting people go out unsupervised. Adults with dementia who are not in residential facilities face similar dangers; it is not uncommon in cold climates for an adult to be found frozen to death in a field after wandering off.

That's something that could happen to me. I am a flight risk and get lost easily. During the winter they always have to check up on me and make sure I'm not sitting in just my underwear with the window open. The doors are double deadbolt and have to be opened from the inside with a key, to keep me confined.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 1:17 pm

...I lost a draft :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 3:11 am

...I wodike the 1:55 poster to LEAVE HERE AND DON'T COME BACK! :x I tried to make you a For but you came back anyway :( . So, okay, my singular incompetence in comouters :cry: ...can't you F'in EAVE??! :x If I do " come to a bad end " you can gloat and say " I told him so!! ! "! Couldn't you just rub your hands in anticipation of that :x :? 8).
To me, you're just a other in a long line of " nurses " telling me what's good for me :(. You feel it would be more " meaningful " if I was locked away. Check. And I would live longer, you say. It would be some kind of life.
Maybe you were so outraged at me criticizing HZ college admissions people because you worked as one yourself! :( :twisted: And, no, I DID NOT ha e a " Skinky Dinky Dee! " helpful HS records-sending person situation. So you hate me for thag :cry:.Other people had one :cry:.
PLEASE JUST LEAVE ME THE H' ALONE.
Other/s of you, too, seem to think I am being offered nice housing and then turning it down :evil: . You are sadly mistaken.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Dec 2018, 5:44 am

ASS-P wrote:
...I wodike the 1:55 poster to LEAVE HERE AND DON'T COME BACK! :x I tried to make you a For but you came back anyway :( . So, okay, my singular incompetence in comouters :cry: ...can't you F'in EAVE??! :x If I do " come to a bad end " you can gloat and say " I told him so!! ! "! Couldn't you just rub your hands in anticipation of that :x :? 8).
To me, you're just a other in a long line of " nurses " telling me what's good for me :(. You feel it would be more " meaningful " if I was locked away. Check. And I would live longer, you say. It would be some kind of life.
Maybe you were so outraged at me criticizing HZ college admissions people because you worked as one yourself! :( :twisted: And, no, I DID NOT ha e a " Skinky Dinky Dee! " helpful HS records-sending person situation. So you hate me for thag :cry:.Other people had one :cry:.
PLEASE JUST LEAVE ME THE H' ALONE.
Other/s of you, too, seem to think I am being offered nice housing and then turning it down :evil: . You are sadly mistaken.

Hi AP, I was curious but can't find "the 1:55 poster" - I was horrified it might be me. But then I realize I didn't say any of those things or think them either. I've had horrible housing solutions and I wouldn't try to tell you what to do. It's a terrible choice. I hope all your choices may be happier ones.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 6:01 am

No one is offering housing to me either. I have to look for it. As I recall Robbin has posted numerous sources regarding housing and other services in Santa Cruz. Along with establishing that the high school transcripts are available and how they can be obtained.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 6:06 am

Claradoon wrote:
Hi AP, I was curious but can't find "the 1:55 poster" - I was horrified it might be me. But then I realize I didn't say any of those things or think them either.

My guess is BeaArthur. And no one has said those things.