Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 2:38 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
I know he did something very evil and destroyed the lives of many people when he shot up a high school but I can't help but pity him and I don't think he deserves the death penalty. He should get life in prison. The fact that people would actually try to sentence to death someone who is basically a kid and has shown genuine guilt and remorse for what he did really baffles me. I also can't understand how they could treat his brother horribly when he had nothing to do with the shootings. I just don't understand how people think in this world. :(

Show remorse, it's all an act to get sympathy.

Don't show remorse, the person is evil and how dare they not have any remorse for their crime. Give them a heavy sentence.

You can't win.

Yeah they can't be happy either way. People really do suck sometimes.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 3:50 pm

Then again what he did wasn't right either... It's just a no win situation. A kid killed a bunch of kids and now the state wants to kill the kid who did this.

It's just so sad in my opinion. :(

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 4:02 pm

We don't have the death penalty in Canada, but when someone has murdered other people, they need to be dealt with in a way that will prevent them from harming others in the future, whether they are mentally ill or not.

Sentencing isn't just a punishment. It's to keep more innocent lives from being ruined or lost.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 8:20 pm

I honestly won't be surprised if soon the US does away with the death penalty just like Canada, the UK, and Australia did.

I just hope that doesn't mean we start releasing sadistic serial killers back out on the streets after only serving as little as 7 years.

Maybe if we had harsher and more humiliating punishments for commiting crimes people would be less inclined to break the law and our prisons wouldn't be so overcrowded.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2019, 11:37 pm

I think that no-one should ever get a death penalty for any crime. Asperger's or not.

In the Netherlands the death penalty doesn't exist. People with mental disorders (autism is sometimes considered as a mental disorder, sometimes not) may get a milder or no sentence.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 12:01 am

Washington State got rid of their death penalty back in October. It made world news. My online friend in Sweden knew about it and I saw it on the BBC website too.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 6:30 am

Im not sure how I really feel about the Death Penalty to be honest. My aunt was brutally murdered when I was a baby. Her abusive husband dismembered her, stuffed her in a trash bag, and set her trailer on fire trying to get rid of the evidence. He destroyed my whole family and I don't think it's fair that he's still alive after what he did. At least he's still in prison.

But at the same time the more I read about it the more I realize how seriously flawed the death penalty in the US is. DNA testing has proven that over 100 inmates sentenced to death were actually innocent and that's a shockingly high number! Plus every state with the death penalty uses lethal injection which has been proven to be a very torturous way of dying when it is botched and it actually has a higher fail rate than any other form of execution.

I think the best option is maybe a life sentence. Letting a killer out after only serving 10 years seems very absurd to me and very unfair to the family of the victims. Then again if all I was going to get was 7 or 10 years for killing somebody who murdered someone I loved I think nothing would stop me from getting revenge on that person. Just saying.

VitaLily
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2019, 3:34 am

Depends on the severity of the crime they committed and if that particular crime has a death penalty

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 10:31 am

You did not use the word "autistic", you used the word "aspergers" in the question. So apparently you are only asking about high functioning members of the autism spectrum.

If its aspergers that you're asking about I am pretty sure that aspergers would make zero difference in saving you from the gas chamber.

The US is in state of flux in its attitude about the death penalty. So all perpetrators of capital crimes are less likely to be executed today than in decades past. And its trending toward even less likely in the future.

So aspies are less likely to executed today than fifty years ago, but that's only because everyone is less likely to get the death penalty than fifty years ago. I don't see why having aspergers would make any kind of difference to a judge or jury.

By definition an aspie is above 70 in IQ and knows right from wrong, so if an NT gets the juice on the chair, so would an aspie for the same crime in the same situation. At least I cant imagine why it would make a difference.

However maybe its possible that if you had an aspie meltdown and somehow it caused someone else to die then you might well be classified as temporarily insane at that moment, and avoid the gallows.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 4:33 pm

State has one more witness in Godwin capital murder trial

Quote:
The Newport man is accused of killing 37-year-old Wendy Tamagne back on July 4, 2016, and cutting up her body in pieces in her Morehard City apartment.

Prosecutors plan to seek the death penalty if Godwin is found guilty of first degree murder.

On Thursday, jurors heard from a state medical examiner who said the woman was strangled and then stabbed multiple times.

During opening statements Monday morning, a lawyer for Godwin told jurors the defendant has been diagnosed with several disorders, including bipolar and Aspergers, while there is a family history of psychosis and mental health.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 3:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
An extreme low functioining autistic who is also ret*d is one thing. They lack awareness of right and wrong, and maybe even understanding of mortality itself (like that one guy mentioned above). But a normal IQ person with aspergers is something else. The latter would probably get the same treatment as a neurotypical person of normal IQ would get for committing the same crime because they wouldnot lack awareness of right and wrong any more than a NT of the same IQ. So its the retardation, and not the autistic aspects of the person that would matter. I cant imagine how aspergers would make you a more sympathic murderer than a NT (to a judge or to a jury).

This might interest you
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 8916301550

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 7:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
An extreme low functioining autistic who is also ret*d is one thing. They lack awareness of right and wrong, and maybe even understanding of mortality itself (like that one guy mentioned above). But a normal IQ person with aspergers is something else. The latter would probably get the same treatment as a neurotypical person of normal IQ would get for committing the same crime because they wouldnot lack awareness of right and wrong any more than a NT of the same IQ. So its the retardation, and not the autistic aspects of the person that would matter. I cant imagine how aspergers would make you a more sympathic murderer than a NT (to a judge or to a jury).

This might interest you
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 8916301550

Brevik may have had something like aspergers. But he still knew right from wrong. He still would've gotten the chair in Texas, and would have in Norway itself fifty years ago. I don't see how anything in the article would make a difference.

Aspergers might nudge some individuals towards violence, but it might nudge others away. Bloods and Crips who do drive by shootings in the US ghettos rarely, if ever, include aspies as gang members.

Aspergers is such a recent "thing" in the world outside of Germany and Austria, that (my guess is) no country has any body of legal precedent in dealing with aspies as a category of people, or even thinking about it. Its not like alcohol, adultery, mental retardation, or outright insanity, each of which has existed (and been recognized as existing) for centuries and millenia, so every society on earth has bodies of legal precedent in dealing with those issues. Am not a lawyer, but I would guess that probably no country has a specific rule against giving aspies the death penalty yet. Its still not obvious to me, even from that article, how it would be likely that any country in the future would do that either.

The question itself "can ppl with aspergers get the death penalty?" just strikes me as such an odd question, and also (frankly) as kind of an offensive question. The reason that I, a diagnosed aspie, find it insulting should be too obvious to have to innumerate.

Suffice it to say: I hope that the OP is not suggesting that aspies should be placed on a "do not execute" list by the law, because to place aspies on such a list would be against the interests of most aspies, and would not favor the interests of most aspies. Doing that would imply that aspies cant help being violent. And officially implying that falsehood would stigmatize aspies even more than we already are.

Don't know why the OP is so seemingly eager to defame himself.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2019, 2:48 am

I only skimmed some of the posts in this thread, but I think the standard in the US for "not guilty by reason of insanity" is whether or not the person comprehends that their actions will have legal consequences. Like one time I heard of a guy who was walking down the street showing everyone someone's severed head like, "I DID IT!" like they'd be proud of him, not understanding there'd be consequences.

TW1ZTY wrote:
Maybe if we had harsher and more humiliating punishments for commiting crimes people would be less inclined to break the law and our prisons wouldn't be so overcrowded.

I don't think the threat of punishment or, more generally, negative consequences always works so rationally. For example, I think sometimes people like to do dangerous stuff because it raises their social status if they survive, meaning people sometimes intentionally seek out situations where there's a high risk of significant negative consequences. Also, I think sometimes people do it just as a "**** you" to the people telling them they can't, again meaning sometimes people will seek out the behaviors you're trying to diminish, specifically because you're trying to diminish them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2019, 3:07 am

Dan82 wrote:
I only skimmed some of the posts in this thread, but I think the standard in the US for "not guilty by reason of insanity" is whether or not the person comprehends that their actions will have legal consequences. Like one time I heard of a guy who was walking down the street showing everyone someone's severed head like, "I DID IT!" like they'd be proud of him, not understanding there'd be consequences.

TW1ZTY wrote:

I don't think the threat of punishment or, more generally, negative consequences always works so rationally. For example, I think sometimes people like to do dangerous stuff because it raises their social status if they survive, meaning people sometimes intentionally seek out situations where there's a high risk of significant negative consequences. Also, I think sometimes people do it just as a "**** you" to the people telling them they can't, again meaning sometimes people will seek out the behaviors you're trying to diminish, specifically because you're trying to diminish them.

I have heard that they've actually done studies, and interviewed criminals about how awareness of capital punishment effected their decisions to do the crime, and most replied that they "just never thought about it" because criminals tend to be optimists who assume that they wont get caught.

So you could pile on as much harshness as you want: not just the death penalty - but have them be tortured to death, etc. And it wouldn't make any difference.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
they "just never thought about it" because criminals tend to be optimists who assume that they wont get caught.

I'm very fortunate never to have developed a taste for criminal behavior, but I'd say whatever missteps I may have made in life fall under this category. I went through a pretty bad patch from maybe 2010-2015, but especially 2012-2013, and I actually did try to rationally think things through a lot--I just didn't consider all the factors involved. I thought I did, but I ignored a lot of the things other people were trying to tell me.

I would imagine organized crime is more like I talked about, though--more calculated risk-taking instead of impulsively acting out. I'm guessing that's why they get treated better in prison from what I've heard.