Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 2:43 pm

I'm really worried that I will end up on that show. I weigh over 200 pounds (like 250-ish) and kinda just stay there. Like I'm stuck. I don't really eat a whole lot. I usually live off of yogurt, green tea, fruits, veggies, non-fried fish, eggs etc...

Now, sometimes I will have a small burger, a soda, a steak (grilled) and ice cream or a cupcake but I make sure that the portion is small enough (and I mean tiny like, the burger is slider sized) and in school people were concerned that I didn't eat a lot. I'm also active during the day and now that I have my treadmill again, I can do my treadmill work out and need a yoga mat because I do yoga.

Will I end up on My 600 Pound Life if I keep on like this?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 2:50 pm

doubtful.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 3:23 pm

I measure out portions with a scale before cooking. Works great on things like pancake mix, which is hard to measure via volume.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 3:42 pm

My guess is that your odds are about the same as winning a million in the lottery, or reaching the summit of Mount Everest. Six hundred is a small, exclusive, and extreme club to join.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 11:36 pm

I'd talk to a doctor if you get worried about weight. If you're eating well and exercising, it's not a slider-sized burger that's going to do you in.

amh
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2018, 3:45 pm

Keep in mind that running a calorie deficit (which you need to do to lose weight) for too long will put your body into starvation mode, making it fight tooth and nail to keep everything you do eat stuck to your body somewhere.

Find out what your body fat %/lean mass is, and then calculate your base metabolism. Add in any exercise and other physical activity to get what you're burning each day, then subtract about 500 calories, and try to stick to that number. At least once a week, go about 500 cal *over* that number. That gives you about a 3k deficit (~1lb) per week.

Add in resistance training to your exercise. Don't just do cardio. Adding muscle mass will raise your base metabolism. When you start doing resistance training keep in mind that you might stop losing weight for a bit (because you're adding muscle), but you're probably still losing fat - so don't get discouraged.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 2:57 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I'm really worried that I will end up on that show. I weigh over 200 pounds (like 250-ish) and kinda just stay there. Like I'm stuck. I don't really eat a whole lot. I usually live off of yogurt, green tea, fruits, veggies, non-fried fish, eggs etc...

Now, sometimes I will have a small burger, a soda, a steak (grilled) and ice cream or a cupcake but I make sure that the portion is small enough (and I mean tiny like, the burger is slider sized) and in school people were concerned that I didn't eat a lot. I'm also active during the day and now that I have my treadmill again, I can do my treadmill work out and need a yoga mat because I do yoga.

Yogurt is DEFINITELY fattening FYI. If you mostly eat that yeah, you'll remain fat.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 4:30 pm

Chummy wrote:

Yogurt is DEFINITELY fattening FYI. If you mostly eat that yeah, you'll remain fat.

I don’t eat mostly yogurt. When I do it’s Skyr or non fat Greek with no added sugars except for fruit. My dinner tonight is beef stew my mom made. My mom and I are very cautious about food she measures all of the ingredients. I’m only having one small bowl.

My goal isn’t losing weight or getting skinny by the way. My health threads get off topic very easily :P

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 2:27 am

You have no reason to be concerned. To get on that show you'd have to double your weight and then some, and with the diet and lifestyle you described, it wouldn't make sense for you to double in size.

If you're experiencing unexplained weight gain or you feel like you should be losing more weight than you currently are considering your food and lifestyle, you might want to talk to a doctor to make sure there are no contributing medical issues. Some medications cause weight-gain, so if you're taking medication it might be worth researching to see if weight gain is one of the side-effects.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 1:15 pm

Nobody knows the answer, unless they are psychic

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 10:29 am

Some of these people have been bedbound for years and eat far more than you do and can do virtually nothing but eat. You don't seem to be in that kind of danger.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 6:52 pm

Chummy wrote:

I don’t eat mostly yogurt. When I do it’s Skyr or non fat Greek with no added sugars except for fruit. My dinner tonight is beef stew my mom made. My mom and I are very cautious about food she measures all of the ingredients. I’m only having one small bowl.

My goal isn’t losing weight or getting skinny by the way. My health threads get off topic very easily :P

If that is so how did you get to 200 pounds? I assume you are not 1.90 meter tall to accommodate that? I'd not be concerned aboit getting skinny but rather getting BMI to normal range of 21-24 first, because otherwise it would lead to medical problems and complocations later at life.

Again the BMI is important (find caculator online) not the weight per se as it has to take your body height into considerarion. A 2 meter athlete could easy weight as much as yours and be in perfect shape.

Also maybe do what others said and check if nothing medical is involved as if you don't eat alot and still get fat it may be not because of food. I had a fat friend in high school who had a medical thing that caused him to be fat, he later dropped like 20 kilos by doing sports.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 9:30 pm

Some diseases and drugs have weight gain or loss as a side effect

Everyone could get fat or skinny

You listed the foods you eat, but you did not list amounts

Amounts matter

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 12:36 am

It's very unlikely that you'll ever weigh 600 pounds. Most of those foods sound healthy but you might want to avoid the ice cream and cupcakes. Maybe instead of ice cream you could eat halo top.

What are you drinking? When I started counting calories I found that I was drinking a lot of calories. Sometimes I drank more calories than I ate. Also have you tallied how many calories you eat in a typical day?

Jenine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2019, 1:53 pm

If you weigh 250 and haven't lost much weight with diet and exercise, you may have a pituitary tumor or a disorder. I suggest you go see a doctor about this and perhaps maybe discuss getting an MRI. As far as the possibility of you weighing 600, you're still 350 lbs lighter than that. And there's still a good chance you will not reach that weight. However, depending your height, you are considered extremely overweight or obese. Another thing to note is that the people on My 600 Pound Life are compulsive eaters. In other words, they eat when they're hungry and when they're not hungry.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:12 pm

amh wrote:
Keep in mind that running a calorie deficit (which you need to do to lose weight) for too long will put your body into starvation mode, making it fight tooth and nail to keep everything you do eat stuck to your body somewhere.

Find out what your body fat %/lean mass is, and then calculate your base metabolism. Add in any exercise and other physical activity to get what you're burning each day, then subtract about 500 calories, and try to stick to that number. At least once a week, go about 500 cal *over* that number. That gives you about a 3k deficit (~1lb) per week.

Add in resistance training to your exercise. Don't just do cardio. Adding muscle mass will raise your base metabolism. When you start doing resistance training keep in mind that you might stop losing weight for a bit (because you're adding muscle), but you're probably still losing fat - so don't get discouraged.

This is very good advice. If you restrict the amount of calories to the extreme you will not lose weight. You do not want to get into starvation mode. Try and avoid sugars. Otherwise you will be dealing with diabetes and this is a very dangerous condition.

And as Jenine has said, you might also be dealing with a medical disorder. So you should check with your primary physician. Also many drugs have a side effect that causes weight gain.

Also there is an alternative which is bariatric surgery. I was obese and lost over 50 percent of my weight within 7 months by having gastric bypass surgery. I have maintained this weight loss for around 6 years now.