Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:24 pm

jimmy m wrote:
amh wrote:
Keep in mind that running a calorie deficit (which you need to do to lose weight) for too long will put your body into starvation mode, making it fight tooth and nail to keep everything you do eat stuck to your body somewhere.

Find out what your body fat %/lean mass is, and then calculate your base metabolism. Add in any exercise and other physical activity to get what you're burning each day, then subtract about 500 calories, and try to stick to that number. At least once a week, go about 500 cal *over* that number. That gives you about a 3k deficit (~1lb) per week.

Add in resistance training to your exercise. Don't just do cardio. Adding muscle mass will raise your base metabolism. When you start doing resistance training keep in mind that you might stop losing weight for a bit (because you're adding muscle), but you're probably still losing fat - so don't get discouraged.

This is very good advice. If you restrict the amount of calories to the extreme you will not lose weight. You do not want to get into starvation mode. Try and avoid sugars. Otherwise you will be dealing with diabetes and this is a very dangerous condition.

And as Jenine has said, you might also be dealing with a medical disorder. So you should check with your primary physician. Also many drugs have a side effect that causes weight gain.

Also there is an alternative which is bariatric surgery. I was obese and lost over 50 percent of my weight within 7 months by having gastric bypass surgery. I have maintained this weight loss for around 6 years now.

Well done, Jimmy M. I take my hat off to you... and it's a very fancy hat.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 7:11 pm

600 pounds is a lot of weight. You will only end up like that if you sit around all day stuffing your face with fatty and sugary foods. Actually, very few people can reach that weight without carking it first.

You're closer to an after photo from The Biggest Loser than you are to 600 pounds.

Have confidence in yourself. :) It sounds like you're on the right track. 8)

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 7:28 pm

How can someone with your lifestyle weigh 200lb? I get only slightly more exercise and only eat slightly more, and yet I weigh 48kg/106lb.

I think the thing with my is that my high anxiety levels keep me super tense all the time, which uses up energy and prevents me putting on weight.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:09 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
How can someone with your lifestyle weigh 200lb? I get only slightly more exercise and only eat slightly more, and yet I weigh 48kg/106lb.

I think the thing with my is that my high anxiety levels keep me super tense all the time, which uses up energy and prevents me putting on weight.

48 kilos for a male? Dude, it sounds like you're underweight.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:34 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

48 kilos for a male? Dude, it sounds like you're underweight.

That was what I weighed when I was dying of anorexia.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 7:14 am

I'm only 5'6, so, 48kg makes my BMI 17; only slightly underweight. I also have a very narrow, slight frame with low bone density, so I think correcting for this, 48kg is on the lower end of what's healthy.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 4:18 am

If you are looking for a set nutritional program, not a fad-type diet focused on 1 “magic” thing, how about try Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s more comprehensive and balanced “Nutritarian” approach. Eating foods with maximum nutrition.

He suggests a simple approach eating regularly “GBOMBS”, plus exercise.
G = greens
B = beans
O = onions
M = mushrooms
B = berries
S = seeds

Here is a talk by Dr. Joel Fuhrman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 4:31 am

i tried that diet, it kept me slim but i got sick and tired of it after about 2 years of eating rabbit food. but in principle it works. the thing that keeps me from pigging out is the horrible example my late father set. fear keeps me in line.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 9:07 pm

My body also retains weight in an odd way. I’m apple shaped. I lost 25 pounds once and I stayed the same shirt size. My doctor wants me to lose 100 pounds which is possible for me to do. I just don’t think I’ll be a size 00 at 165. This is why unisex fashion is easier for me. In men’s/unisex tops I wear an XL. Always. I even did when I weighed 195.

I love wearing dresses and frilly blouses but sizing varies so much it’s insane.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 2:40 am

no

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 4:05 am

i hope the OP by now has got a handle on her situation.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 5:50 pm

This reminds me I myself do heavy weightlifting but am overweight for my height of 5ft7 1/2 at 164-168 lbs.

I probably need to see the doctor about my weight since I do plenty of exercise etc....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 6:00 pm

Jamesy wrote:
This reminds me I myself do heavy weightlifting but am overweight for my height of 5ft7 1/2 at 164-168 lbs.

I probably need to see the doctor about my weight since I do plenty of exercise etc....

first figure out your BMI- Body Mass Index is a simple calculation using a person's height and weight. The formula is BMI = kg/m2 where kg is a person's weight in kilograms and m2 is their height in metres squared.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 6:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

first figure out your BMI- Body Mass Index is a simple calculation using a person's height and weight. The formula is BMI = kg/m2 where kg is a person's weight in kilograms and m2 is their height in metres squared.

Yep just checked the BMI calculator and I am 3-6 pounds overweight for my height.

According to the calculator on the NHS website my health would really benefit from losing 10 pounds and getting down to 154 lbs.

Can I also mention i am on medication for anxiety and depression which could also be contributing to me being overweight.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 7:05 pm

Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Yep just checked the BMI calculator and I am 3-6 pounds overweight for my height. According to the calculator on the NHS website my health would really benefit from losing 10 pounds and getting down to 154 lbs. Can I also mention i am on medication for anxiety and depression which could also be contributing to me being overweight.

understandable. you can cut the 10 pounds by modifying ["nibbling 'round the edges" as it were ;) ] your daily routine, parking a long way from the door of work or supermarket, cutting out refined carbs will do it over the period of about 2 months.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 7:08 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Yep just checked the BMI calculator and I am 3-6 pounds overweight for my height. According to the calculator on the NHS website my health would really benefit from losing 10 pounds and getting down to 154 lbs. Can I also mention i am on medication for anxiety and depression which could also be contributing to me being overweight.

understandable. you can cut the 10 pounds by modifying ["nibbling 'round the edges" as it were ;) ] your daily routine, parking a long way from the door of work or supermarket, cutting out refined carbs will do it over the period of about 2 months.

Thanks for the advice aunt blabby I will cut down on the carbs.