Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 2:03 am

I find it hard to believe they aren't still committing murders similar to those that were committed in Syria.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 2:13 am

thewrll wrote:
I find it hard to believe they aren't still committing murders similar to those that were committed in Syria.

Very probably they still are.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 10:26 am

We all know Austin Powers is a REAL hero compared to James Bond. :wink:

"Yeah Baby!" :nerdy:

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 8:11 pm

I love James Bond more as the years go by, probably because it's a part of my childhood. I particularly like the rendering of Roger Moore who I think best captured the suaveness and stoicism of the character (nothing against Sean Connery, I just like Roger better).

Has anybody seen the Johnny English films by the way? Truly epic. :jester: (Warning: admitting to it may identify you as a potential spy) :mrgreen:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 2:38 am

Some people nowadays have a problem with how Bond treats women but do you think that maybe we are being a bit too sensitive about it...? I mean if it was the other way around and you had a female action hero who was going around seducing men for sexual pleasure people wouldn't be bothered by it as much, so perhaps people are being a bit double standard-ish about it maybe?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 1:41 pm

ironpony wrote:
Some people nowadays have a problem with how Bond treats women but do you think that maybe we are being a bit too sensitive about it...? I mean if it was the other way around and you had a female action hero who was going around seducing men for sexual pleasure people wouldn't be bothered by it as much, so perhaps people are being a bit double standard-ish about it maybe?

The problem with that is that the "woman who seduces a man" is almost always portrayed as evil for doing so, but an alpha male like James Bond who seduces a new woman in every movie is viewed as a champion and not viewed with contempt for his behavior.

So yeah, it is still a misognystic double standard against women either way.

Also I simply don't like Bond for the fact that he could potentially kill anybody and feel NO remourse about it. I don't care as much about the fact that he fools around because most of the women he seduces are sleazy too.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 3:58 am

But you just admitted it was a double standard, so why let yourself be bothered by a double standard?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:09 am

ironpony wrote:
But you just admitted it was a double standard, so why let yourself be bothered by a double standard?

I aleady said I'm bothered more by the fact that he's capable of killing anybody and not feel one shred of remourse over it. And he has a "license to kill" which basically means he can get away with murder. THAT is the thing that bothers me the most about his character.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 12:32 pm

He was of his time.

The people he killed were bad guys. The women he flirted and bedded consented. In the real world, it was and is not so simple but these people were fictional fantasy characters. Fantasy, very few of us do not fantasize about the people we find extremely attractive wanting to sleep with us.

The fantasy bad guys he killed did not have a good side or a family they left behind.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 1:38 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
He was of his time.

The people he killed were bad guys. The women he flirted and bedded consented. In the real world, it was and is not so simple but these people were fictional fantasy characters. Fantasy, very few of us do not fantasize about the people we find extremely attractive wanting to sleep with us.

The fantasy bad guys he killed did not have a good side or a family they left behind.

In movies like Goldeneye he killed Russian soldiers who were just doing their jobs out of loyalty to their own country and his contact 006 even killed a random Russian scientist in cold blood while Bond didn't bat an eyelash about it. In fact there is a scene where he shoots and kills Russian soldiers while escaping the Military Archives after he and that girl were arrested under suspicion of being responsible for the terror attacks in Russia. The Russian official realized they were innocent and was prepared to let them go but then the Russian General showed up and murdered the Russian official and the soldier in the room (because this general was the actual criminal) and he framed 007 and the girl for his murder and sent his soldiers who had no idea what was really going on to arrest Bond. So basically Bond killed a bunch of soldiers who were just following orders and had no idea that they were being used by the real enemy to their country.

Yes, I think he's a monster.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 1:55 pm

Goldeneye I agree with, that Bond actually went too far, and he should have some sort of consequence for that, or something.

I mean he goes too far a lot, which is part of the appeal of the character, but in Goldeneye he went too too far maybe.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 2:12 pm

ironpony wrote:
Goldeneye I agree with, that Bond actually went too far, and he should have some sort of consequence for that, or something.

I mean he goes too far a lot, which is part of the appeal of the character, but in Goldeneye he went too too far maybe.

The really horrible thing about it is that I get the feeling that real spies actually do do that sort of thing all the time and their government allows them to get away with it. They probably kill innocent people (or rather people who don't actually deserve to die) all the time and the governments cover it all up because they need them to "take down the enemy".

Some people call it the lesser of two evils, I call it corruption and BS. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 6:58 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
He was of his time.

In movies like Goldeneye he killed Russian soldiers who were just doing their jobs out of loyalty to their own country and his contact 006 even killed a random Russian scientist in cold blood while Bond didn't bat an eyelash about it. In fact there is a scene where he shoots and kills Russian soldiers while escaping the Military Archives after he and that girl were arrested under suspicion of being responsible for the terror attacks in Russia. The Russian official realized they were innocent and was prepared to let them go but then the Russian General showed up and murdered the Russian official and the soldier in the room (because this general was the actual criminal) and he framed 007 and the girl for his murder and sent his soldiers who had no idea what was really going on to arrest Bond. So basically Bond killed a bunch of soldiers who were just following orders and had no idea that they were being used by the real enemy to their country.

IRL most soldiers are "just doing their jobs" but in the context of a cold war fantasy, the Russians soldiers had no redeeming features. James Bond was designed to make people escape from real life and not think. Most "heroic" action figures would be monsters IRL.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 7:06 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
He was of his time.

IRL most soldiers are "just doing their jobs" but in the context of a cold war fantasy, the Russians soldiers had no redeeming features. James Bond was designed to make people escape from real life and not think. Most "heroic" action figures would be monsters IRL.

I believe the movie was set in the 90's after the Cold War ended.

And he's not the only action hero I hate. I also hate any jerk hero played by actors like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood, and others. They're all the same.

I have the right to feel the way I do about certain kinds of movies and I will keep voicing my opinions about them I don't care if people like it or not. Every movie deserves a critique. :bounce:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:36 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
ironpony wrote:

The really horrible thing about it is that I get the feeling that real spies actually do do that sort of thing all the time and their government allows them to get away with it. They probably kill innocent people (or rather people who don't actually deserve to die) all the time and the governments cover it all up because they need them to "take down the enemy".

Some people call it the lesser of two evils, I call it corruption and BS. :roll:

Well in real life actually their is no licence to kill when it comes to the British M16 cause if the actually had licences to kill, the government would be under serious damage control. I think that if James Bond did kill all those guys in real life, he would most likely be fired for causing the diplomatic headaches. Maybe not actually prosecuted cause they want to avoid a public trial, but definitely fired.

Or maybe they will have one of those secret trials for reasons of national security, like the kind that Snowden was trying to escape.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 4:15 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
He was of his time.

I believe the movie was set in the 90's after the Cold War ended.

And he's not the only action hero I hate. I also hate any jerk hero played by actors like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood, and others. They're all the same.

I have the right to feel the way I do about certain kinds of movies and I will keep voicing my opinions about them I don't care if people like it or not. Every movie deserves a critique. :bounce:

The Cold War was over but a significant part of the audience was not over it or the era.
Is James Bond Still a Big Gun? - Entertainment Weekly - November 17, 1995
Quote:
Clearly, these are trying times for 007. Six long years have passed since the character last appeared on movie screens. The Cold War is over. The old reliable supervillains — SMERSH, S.P.E.C.T.R.E., the KGB — have all been retired to the ash heap of history. Even women are different in the 1990s — it’s almost impossible to find one named p**** Galore anymore.

Unlike the last few films — which flirted with such un-Bond concepts as monogamy and serious character development — Goldeneye is clearly trying to recapture that old Bond magic. All the classic ingredients have been poured into this one and stirred slightly, but not shaken too much.

”We kept getting letters from people asking us to give them back Bond,” explains coproducer Barbara Broccoli, daughter of legendary Bond producer Albert ”Cubby” Broccoli. ”So we tried to distill it. We tried to get back to the essence of Bond.”

The producers went looking for a new Bond — and a new concept. They toyed with the idea of making 007 a woman. Of making him black. Of making a period piece set in the 1960s. They even considered Connery’s idea of pursuing Quentin Tarantino to direct (they went with British director Martin Campbell, who made last year’s sci-fi prison movie No Escape). Ultimately, they chose to return to basics, bringing back the Aston Martin, the shaken martinis, the pneumatically gifted female companions. ”Bond is not PC,” says coproducer Michael Wilson, Cubby Broccoli’s stepson (Broccoli, 86, has a ”presents” credit on the film but has been recuperating from a heart attack he suffered last summer). ”If you expect this guy to know how to change diapers, you’re going to be sorely disappointed.”

And you are right in a sense that Bond is a “classy” version of Dirty Harry. And I am in no way saying you should not be able to express an alternative opinion of James Bond in a James Bond thread in an Autism forum.