Hi everyone & language exchange offer for 1 of 13 languages

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2018, 3:52 pm

Hi everyone,
this is SomewhatGeekyPolyglot.

And because there are some geeks too in this forum, or so they say :D , I decided to say hello.

I am a grown-up man who simply loves learning languages. Not aiming for expert level mastery of one or two in particular, but for the knowledge of possibly rather many of them, as the time goes on. With pure ease, and without any pressure. To me, languages are a tool for communication, rather than something that should be studied in a strictly academical way. However, without any doubt I am interested in talking to the linguists of you, too.

As of today, this is the list of the languages I could offer for a language exchange:

- Basic Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Swedish/Danish/Norwegian, Swahili, and Esperanto

- Upper intermediate French, Spanish, Dutch, and Afrikaans

- Basic Japanese, but for now I am only able to read Romaji, which is Japanese written using the Latin alphabet.

(As for some of you advanced Japanese learners who don't really love Romaji: Just like you, I am also fully aware aware of the limitations of writing it with the Latin alphabet. But I am simply trying to proceed with a language that really interests me. If I wouldn't do it that way, I would have to stop it entirely for now, but I prefer not to.)

This offer is for people who like to practice one of these languages with me.
Or even more than one, no problem at all.

But it is not intended for those who are looking for a tandem partner ("I teach you a language I speak and you teach me one you speak".)

It is about a written language exchange using e-mail (I got somehow used to this way of communication, because when I started using the Internet, FB didn't even exist yet). What I cannot offer are voice calls and instant messaging. This is because sometimes maybe I need to look up some words or some grammar, or possibly you would need to do the same, too. And really I prefer an exchange without even the impression of time pressure.

This is my address: somewhatgeekypolyglot AT yandex DOT com

(In case the e-mail address gets deleted for any reason, I suppose you could simply PM me in order to know it.)

No problem at all if you sometimes use some "Tarzan speak", for example: "me likes drink green tea". To me, even saying it this way is much more than not saying something at all. I also would possibly use this way of speaking sometimes, especially for my beginner level languages.

Also, I really don't mind if you call me SGP instead of SomewhatGeekyPolyglot. This is shorter, taking less virtual paper... soooo... we might even save a whole virtual tree one day together :lol: . (And no, I don't expect you to laugh right now, this wasn't even a joke, just a slight amusement at most.)

This offer is for everyone who is learning one of these languages. No matter if you are are pure geek, very "mainstreamish", something in between (like myself), or something entirely different. And yes, I, without any shade of doubt, certainly do have some "alternative" points of view about some subjects. But even if we would differ from time to time, it is of great importance to me to talk to you in the most polite way possible. (In case you would be one of those who aren't sure if they can do it that way, too, that shouldn't stop you from contacting me at all. I can even handle some cases of severe rudeness, as long as it wasn't intentional.)

In case you sometimes do not really reply very quickly, I have a deep understanding for that one. We all got our personal lives, and things we want to be done, or possibly even other language exchange partners, too. So if you simply reply to an e-mail of mine whenever you are ready, no matter how short or long it takes, you shouldn't even consider the possibility of myself being offended because of the delay. And I would expect you, too, to do the same.

Best regards,
SomewhatGeekyPolyglot