Trumpster arrested as the MAGAbomber

Page 11 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:28 am

My concern is those who would not be homeless if this was 5-10 years ago. There's lots of employed homeless people now. And still more who are renting out garages, sheds and such to live in. Bringing in thousands more impoverished people just doesn't sound like a good idea right now.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
... to demonize immigrants as "criminals" who just want a fair shake is dead wrong, in my opinion.
People who arrive here illegally are breaking the law. Those who break the law are criminals. Ergo...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I do understand that viewpoint that we have to "take care of our own." That makes lots of sense. There's no argument against that from me.

But to demonize immigrants as "criminals" who just want a fair shake is dead wrong, in my opinion.

Funny thing is Bill Clinton referred to them as "criminal immigrants" back in the 90's. Illegal and criminal are fairly synonymous. I do know places where parts of my family lived in California in the 60's-80's like Van Nuys, Northridge, Chatsworth, Panorama City etc have been severely overrun and are full of crime.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:39 am

Neighborhoods of people who have been American citizens for generations can be overrun with crime.

Like I said, this is a complex issue---immigration. There are no easy answers. Both sides are right in many respects. One can argue persuasively for either side.

The question is: Who is the "most" right?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Neighborhoods of people who have been American citizens for generations can be overrun with crime.

Like I said, this is a complex issue---immigration. There are no easy answers. Both sides are right in many respects. One can argue persuasively for either side.

The question is: Who is the "most" right?

I mean overrun by immigrants and since become high crime zones. I remember one the last times I was in California a cousin wanted to go into Northridge drive past the house he grew up in, and his wife was terrified by the idea. And Northridge used to be a nice peaceful LA suburb.

I think it was Northridge. I get those interconnecting suburbs in the SF Valley confused. But a lot of them have gone to hell in a handbasket.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm

Many people here worked for Tyson’s, they even picked you up in a van to take you to work at a certain place.Not anymore,most of those jobs are done by immigrants now.Its true that most American don’t want to work in a factory and suck the guts out of chickens all day.
Most farm work is done by immigrants and this is nothing new.My ex used to pick cotton as a kid in Eastern Arkansas and the cotton fields were filled with poor whites,poor blacks and poorer immigrants.
I never saw homeless people when I was a kid, probably because the Little Rock police would pick them up, give them a sandwich and put them on a bus to another town.One cop told me this.Now it would just cost too much.
I feel sorry for the people coming out of Central America. Poverty is really bad there. You can work at a banana or coffee finca but that’s it.
A relative did Spanish immersion school in rural Guatemala and the poverty is awful.Made Arkansas look good.I don’t think they have a good government and there is also trouble between the evangelical Christians coming in trying to save everyone and the Catholic community.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 2:01 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
There's farm work, then there's working in the fields for long, strenuous hours with little payment. It's not a matter of Americans being lazy. But if Americans want to do that sort of work (Jack Kerouac had), they'll find themselves literally working for slave wages.

Wow, you're sounding like a Republican now.

We need illegal aliens, because who will pick the lettuce, argued George Bush's Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff.

Americans won't work for such low pay.

Americans want jobs that will actually allow them to live, and more, to thrive. If that makes me sound like a Republican in this instance, then so be it. The migrant wage is so low that that is not possible.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 2:03 pm

EzraS wrote:
I was told in Seattle for a log time the main homeless population dwelt in a specific area under I-5. Now there's tents everywhere. It's an exponential increase that seems to match the exponential lack of affordable housing. And it exists in many places throughout our country. Not that I'm unsympathetic to immigrants. But there is another side to the needful and how much America seems to be failing to look after its own.

That's the thing, though. Homeless people in cities have little chance or ability to go the great geographic distances to find that sort of migrant farm work.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 4:13 pm

EzraS wrote:
I do know places where parts of my family lived in California in the 60's-80's like Van Nuys, Northridge, Chatsworth, Panorama City etc have been severely overrun and are full of crime.

they have been, it's a shame. lots of places in that general vicinity are like that and it's one of the main factors deterring from moving there, the other being poor infrastructure. it's very wide and sprawling, it's hard to get places and enforce the law.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 6:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I do understand that viewpoint that we have to "take care of our own." That makes lots of sense. There's no argument against that from me.

But to demonize immigrants as "criminals"---when all they want is a fair shake--is dead wrong, in my opinion.

Criminal is someone who breaks the law.
They are criminals if they intend to cross the border illegally
We don’t have the infrastructure to help them sorry. We can’t help everyone.
Lots of pro illegal immigration billionaires and rich celebrities why don’t they take that money out of their banks and actually do something. Most of them have huge mansions with empty rooms they could house lots of refugees, but they don’t. Won’t even let them into their neighborhoods.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 8:59 pm

sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

But to demonize immigrants as "criminals"---when all they want is a fair shake--is dead wrong, in my opinion.

Lots of pro illegal immigration billionaires and rich celebrities why don’t they take that money out of their banks and actually do something. Most of them have huge mansions with empty rooms they could house lots of refugees, but they don’t. Won’t even let them into their neighborhoods.

It's not illegal to apply for asylum at the border. And we absolutely do have the money. Trump just borrowed from the Chinese to give the rich a huge tax cut, amounting to trillions of dollars. And as citizens, they would contribute to the economy, enriching everyone.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 10:30 pm

So all anyone who wants to breeze though the boarder has to do is claim asylum.

And apparently most everyone in central and south america needs asylum due to inept corrupt governments.

Which could be as many as 450 million people wanting asylum in the US.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 12:21 am

AspE wrote:
sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

It's not illegal to apply for asylum at the border. And we absolutely do have the money. Trump just borrowed from the Chinese to give the rich a huge tax cut, amounting to trillions of dollars. And as citizens, they would contribute to the economy, enriching everyone.

Yeah cause after we refuse them asylum they just turn around and go back?
I doubt any of them are going seek asylum, they criss the border illegally like millions of others do every year.
They could have asked asylum at one of our embassies before paying smugglers thousands to get them to the us or do you think those people are transporting them out of the kindness of their heart?
We don’t have the money haven’t you noticed the nearly 20trillion debt?

They don’t get citizenship. Do you think we should just take in the whole world? Certainly then you should support us imperialism and conquering the world so we can care fore everyone?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 2:06 am

sly279 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
So all anyone who wants to breeze though the boarder has to do is claim asylum.

And apparently most everyone in central and south america needs asylum due to inept corrupt governments.

Which could be as many as 450 million people wanting asylum in the US.

Don’t forget people from Africa, Asia, and Middle East. It’s our responsibility to take in everyone and ruin our nation it’ll be the new 3rd world.

It could be said that's practically what several suburbs of Los Angeles have already become. People pour in illegally and turn large areas into being just like the places they left.

My Dominican relatives went through the process of becoming legal citizens and became middle class Americans.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm

AspE wrote:
sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Enrich with crime.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 4:30 pm

Tearful MAGAbomber Cesar Sayoc mouths 'I love you' to one of his sisters in packed courtroom in first appearance since his arrest as the former stripper's lawyer calls the five felony charges over mail bombs 'flimsy'

Trump's snowflake, like Trump himself, is a crybaby:

Quote:
The accused MAGAbomber appeared tearful at times and spoke intently with his defense team led by Jamie Benjamin, while looking around the room