ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
CNN live updates
Quote:
Karl Williams, chief medical examiner for Allegheny County, provided the ages, names and locations of the 11 people killed in Saturday’s shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue.

The victims were between 54 and 97 years old and included a pair of brothers and a married couple.

Joyce Fienberg, 75, Oakland neighborhood, Pittsburgh
Richard Gottfried, 65, Ross Township
Rose Mallinger, 97, Squirrel Hill neighborhood, Pittsburgh
Jerry Rabinowitz, 66, Edgewood Borough
Cecil Rosenthal, 59, and David Rosenthal, 54, brothers, Squirrel Hill
Bernice and Sylvan Simon, 84 and 86, married, Wilkinsburg
Daniel Stein, 71, Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh
Melvin Wax, 88, Squirrel Hill, City of Pittsburgh
Irving Younger, 69, Mount Washington neighborhood, Pittsburgh

Investigators believe the suspected Pittsburgh synagogue shooter, Robert Bowers, acted alone in Saturday’s attack that killed 11 people, according to Robert Jones with the FBI.

Jones says there is no evidence to suggest Bowers had an accomplice.

Investigators recovered three Glock handguns and an AR-15 assault rifle at the Tree of Life synagogue, US Attorney Scott Brady said.

Bowers is accused of killing 11 people and injuring two in his shooting spree at the synagogue. In addition, four police officers responding to the scene were injured during the exchange of gunfire.

Jones praised as heroic the actions of police and SWAT officers who responded.

"Had he made it out of that facility, there is a strong possibility that additional violence would have occurred," he said.

God forgive me, but I would like to see the bastard drawn and quartered. Killing gray-hairs is as bad a killing children. The only way I could be any more disgusted is if he turns out to be one of ours.

Louder, for the people in the back: Vulnerable people are to be PROTECTED, NOT TARGETED. Targeting vulnerable people forfeits your membership in the human race.

They are going to try for the death penalty.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 7:37 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Rose Mallinger managed to survive the Nazis only to be murdered by an antisemite in Pittsburgh.

She was the one that bothered me the most, even though she's very lucky to have lived to 97, because I was impressed that she was out and about at 97. I decided to Google her and it sounds like she was the kind of person I imagined on seeing that she was there at 97, and more:

https://forward.com/fast-forward/412872 ... very-week/

I'm guessing she'd have got into triple digits easily if not for this.

Heat844
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2018, 8:56 pm

Questions for you religious people:

1. If there really is a god, why would they allow for this to happen? (In a house of worship no less)
2. When something does happen (good, bad, or indifferent), what proof do you have (scientific or otherwise) that a god had anything to do with it or not?
3. Before any given NFL game, guys on both teams pray for their team to win the game. How does god decide who wins the game? Why does said god even care?
4. If god is a Notre Dame fan, why do they ever lose a game?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 9:11 pm

Heat844 wrote:

1. If there really is a god, why would they allow for this to happen? (In a house of worship no less)
2. When something does happen (good, bad, or indifferent), what proof do you have (scientific or otherwise) that a god had anything to do with it or not?
3. Before any given NFL game, guys on both teams pray for their team to win the game. How does god decide who wins the game? Why does said god even care?

it's a bit crass using this massacre to make your point.

Heat844
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2018, 9:28 pm

domineekee wrote:
Heat844 wrote:

it's a bit crass using this massacre to make your point.

With questions 3 and 4, you're probably right. Question 2 is in anticipation to the answer to question one. And I'm not trying to make a point, I'm simply trying to understand the mind of a god worshiper. I say that with no sarcasm because I really don't understand.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 9:50 pm

Heat844 wrote:

Thing is there could be a million things god prevented that we don't know about because they were prevented from happening.
Also what if god prevented you from eating fast food or smoking or fornicating and so on. No one wants a god who exerts control over people.
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
People are supposed to come to god in prayer regarding all things. Prayer isn't supposed to be about granting wishes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 1:59 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
The only way I could be any more disgusted is if he turns out to be one of ours.

I do not know about the terrorist but two of the victims were neurodiverse.
A 97-year-old, an elderly wife and husband: These are the 11 victims of the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre
Quote:
The Rosenthal brothers, Cecil and David, were long-time members of the Tree of Life synagogue, according to J.E. Reich, who grew up in the neighborhood the brothers called home. Reich said the brothers were developmentally disabled and lived together. The two had Fragile X syndrome, a genetic disorder that often results in mild to moderate intellectual disability.

Cecil Rosenthal loved to greet people at the door of the synagogue before services “not out of obligation, but out of joy,” said Reich, a reporter who has written for online websites such as Jezebel.

Achieva, an area organization that helps the developmentally disabled, put out a statement Sunday that said both brothers had a deep love of community and life.

“If they were here, they would tell you that is where they were supposed to be,” said Chris Schopf, Achieva's vice president of residential supports.

“Cecil’s laugh was infectious," Schopf added. "David was so kind and had such a gentle spirit. Together, they looked out for one another. They were inseparable. Most of all, they were kind, good people with a strong faith and respect for everyone around.

Tree of Life Synagogue Victims Remembered as Guardians of Their Faith
Quote:
David and Cecil Rosenthal, brothers in their 50s, were almost always in the synagogue, greeting everyone who came with a “Good Shabbos” and a ready prayer book.

Everyone with ties to Tree of Life knew the Rosenthal brothers, who turned up every week and always stood at the back.

“They’ve been fixtures there for as long as anyone can remember,” said Jeffrey Solomon, the chief executive of Cowen Inc., a New York-based financial services company, and a lifelong member of the Tree of Life congregation. “They were what we call ‘shomerim,’ people who guard the religion even for the rest of us who don’t go all the time,” said Mr. Solomon, who is related to the brothers by marriage.

David Rosenthal, who was 54, and Cecil Rosenthal, 59, had developmental disabilities but lived independently. They often spent their days at the nearby Jewish Community Center, where they spoke warmly to anyone they met.

I’ve said this many times, having nothing to do with this tragedy: You can feel what is good in the world when you talk to them, because they only talk to you about good things,” Mr. Solomon said. “To say that everyone in the Pittsburgh Jewish community knows them is not even a remote exaggeration. They were both active participants in so much of life.”

Mr. Solomon said he grew up in the community with the brothers, who were together constantly and often spoke joyfully about their extended family.

“Today we talk about inclusion, but they were just part of the community, and I didn’t think anything about it," Mr. Solomon said. “It was my introduction to the fact that there are people like that and they are just like the rest of us.”

“It doesn’t make any sense to me," he added. "They didn’t deserve this.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 9:04 am

Who is Robert Bowers? Pittsburgh synagogue suspect posted views online

Quote:
One post read: “Open your eyes! It’s the filthy EVIL jews Bringing the Filthy EVIL Muslims into the Country!!”

Another featured a photo of a Nazi concentration camp used to cremate Jews. A caption read “Make Ovens 1488F Again.” The first two words refer to the white supremacist “14 Words” slogan and “88” stands for “Heil Hitler” because “H” is the eighth letter of the alphabet.

Other posts featured conspiracy theories about the Holocaust, in which six million Jews perished during World War II.

Rant:
The word “Nazi” is very much overused. It is used by many to describe any politician with authoritarian tendencies, any person with percieved racist views, or even any “right leaning” person the accuser disagrees with. It is also used to describe any controlling or strict person (exp. “Soup Nazi”). “Nazi” should only be used to describe a person who thinks like Bowers. “Nazi” is not a spectrum, there is no broad Nazi Phenotype.

Although it is not going to happen the phrase ”Neo-Nazi” should be thrown out of common usage. Did I say there is no Nazi spectrum? A “Neo Nazi” is a Nazi who lives in a place where Nazis are not running things therefore the said Nazi is not in government, is not a concentration camp guard, is not a member of an SS like organization etc. but would be should the opportunity present itself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 9:12 am

Many neo-Nazis do incorporate many blatantly Nazi features into their beliefs----including adoration of Adolf Hitler, the Nazi salute, the uniform, etc.

To call somebody with vaguely authoritarian views a neo-Nazi is ridiculous. A Klansman is not a Nazi or neo-Nazi, usually. But they are in the same category of evilness.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 1:31 pm

Piobaire wrote:

Good for them.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 1:37 pm

Drake wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Rose Mallinger managed to survive the Nazis only to be murdered by an antisemite in Pittsburgh.

She was the one that bothered me the most, even though she's very lucky to have lived to 97, because I was impressed that she was out and about at 97. I decided to Google her and it sounds like she was the kind of person I imagined on seeing that she was there at 97, and more:

https://forward.com/fast-forward/412872 ... very-week/

I'm guessing she'd have got into triple digits easily if not for this.

I was thinking of her too.

She is old enough to have been in a concentration camp.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 1:52 pm

Piobaire wrote:

God bless them.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 2:30 pm

Piobaire wrote:

A great gesture indeed.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 6:36 pm

If you guys have ever been or are living in Europe, only synagogues have armed guards/security around them while churches and mosques don't. The types of people to have threatened/perpetrated attacks against Jewish targets believe in either of those ret*d notions (types of antisemitism):

1) The Jews are evil because they killed Jesus so we need to take 'em out in retribution (Religious Fanatics)
2) The Jews are non-while Christians therefore they are lesser and have be banished/disposed of (KKK)
3) The Jews drink Palestinian blood for breakfast therefore Israelis are evil (BDS)
4) The Jews are part of "Dar El Kharb" (House of War - infidels) therefore unrelated/related to Israel they are to be either put under Muslim rule (and pay taxes) or by refusal to do so be exterminated (ISIS)

the 5th notion that doesn't matter is 5) The shooter is a supporter of Donald Trump and thus this shooting has a political implication... this is stupid because it doesn't matter who the shooter voted for anymore than what was his favorite fast food restaurant and hey maybe Burger King endorses antisemitism now.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 6:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

A really profound gesture proves that even though religion was invented to create differences between people, we are all humans and we share this planet together, and ought to help one another. Sorry for double post.