Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

lux214
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2019, 2:11 pm

Oh no, that's way to suspicious for cryptographers. So my new answer: 2702.

(Have you read the Cryptonomicon?)

James_Ladrang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2019, 6:20 am

I like i^i, where SQRT(i)=(-1), because it turns out to be the real, irrational number e^(-pi/2), approximately 0.2078795764.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 12:47 pm

is a fav.

Its the opposite of a prime number.

Its evenly divisible by each integer from one to ten.

If I were emperor of the world I would declare a "mile" to be five thousand and forty feet (instead of the current 5280 feet). That way you could easily calculate how much a... third of a mile, or a seventh of mile, or a fifth of a mile, or a …. is.

Facepipe
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2019, 4:57 pm

I dont like numbers with multiple 6`s in a row like 11663 would annoy me.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 1:16 am

12 for numerous reasons, but mostly because it's the number of hours on an analog clock.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 11:46 pm

I have several!

My lucky number:
- 24: my first and last lacrosse jersey number as well as the last two digits to my end of year competition number when I won champion AND the day of the month it was when I went to National Convention AND the day of the month it was when I graduated high school,
Plus- 2 can be added, multiplied, and squared into 4, 24 carat gold means pure gold, factorial 4/4!, smallest number to have eight different factors, 24 hours in a day, 24 furlongs in a league, December 24th is Christmas Eve,
Also look at the coolness of 2 and 4 separately:
4: number is made of 4 light bars on a calculator, Four has 4 letters the only number to match in the English language, four suits in a deck, four points to a compass, four phases of the moon etc, Lucas number, 4x4 squares have an area equal to their perimeter, 4^2=2^4, multiply 21978 by 4 and get its reversal 87912, smallest composite number, every fourth year is a leap year, four blood types, four basic states of matter, four fundamental forces- electromagnetism, gravitation, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force, four seasons, four leaf clovers are lucky, four presidents have been assassinated in office, July 4th is US Independence Day, Each natural number divisible by 4 is a difference of squares of two natural numbers, i.e. 4x = y2 − z2, Any map may be colored in four colors with no two regions that share a common stretch of border having the same color, in a molecule of DNA, just four bases are used to make up the genetic code that determines the distinctive form of every plant and animal,
2: even numbers are divisible by it, smallest prime number, only even prime number, two and three are the only consecutive primes, first factorial prime, first Lucas prime, first Ramanujan prime, base of the binary system, first magic number, number of polynucleotides in a DNA double helix, Taurus (my Zodiac!) is the second sign of the Zodiac, number for Eve the first woman, number two is the number of the moon

My personal pretty number fav:
- 225: smallest number that is a polygonal number in five different ways, a square of 15, a squared triangular number, (225 = (1+2+3+4+5)^2 = 1^3+2^3+3^3+4^3+5^3), square of a double factorial- 225=5!!^2, highly composite number- more divisors than any smaller odd number smaller than it, refactorable number- is divisible by the number of its divisors, is icositetragonal- 24-gonal, can make a polygon with 24 sides (yay for 24!),

Other cool numbers I didnt come up with myself:
- 23: 23 enigma- Each parent contributes 23 chromosomes to the DNA of a child, It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate throughout the entire body, There are 23 letters in the Latin alphabet, Julius Caesar was stabbed 23 times when he was assassinated, The Knights Templar had 23 Grand Masters, William Shakespeare was born on April 23, 1564, William Shakespeare died on April 23, 1616, The ancient Egyptian and Sumerian calendars begin on July 23, The Titanic sank the morning of April 15th, 1912 (4 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 9 + 1 + 2 = 23), The Mayans believed the world will end on December 23, 2012 (20 + 1 + 2 = 23), 230 people died on TWA Flight 800, The Earth is inclined on it's orbital plane by 23.5 degrees. The "point-five" can be represented as 5 = 2 + 3, The sum of the first 23 primes is 874, which is divisible by 23, There were 23 problems on David Hilbert's famous list  of unsolved mathematical problems, presented to the International  Congress of Mathematicians in Paris in 1900, The first message sent by telegraph was a quotation from the Book of Numbers, chapter 23, verse 23, 23 is the width of the Arecibo Message, sent into Space in search of Extraterrestrial Intelligence, the letter W has 2 points down and 3 up = 23 and is also bellow the numbers 2 and 3 or 23 it is also the 23rd letter of the  alphabet.
- 42: When Douglas Adams wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, he added a central joke which has become more famous over the years than the novel itself: "The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42.”, Queen Victoria's husband Prince Albert died aged 42; they had 42 grandchildren and their great-grandson, Edward VIII, abdicated at the age of 42, The world's first book printed with movable type is the Gutenberg Bible which has 42 lines per page, On page 42 of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry discovers he's a wizard, Titanic was travelling at a speed equivalent to 42km/hour when it collided with an iceberg, Elvis Presley died at the age of 42, Toy Story character Buzz Lightyear's spaceship is named 42, The youngest president of the United States,Theodore Roosevelt, was 42 when he was elected, The atomic bomb that devastated Nagasaki, Japan, contained the destructive power of 42 million sticks of dynamite, In Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Friar Laurence gives Juliet a potion that allows for her to be in a death-like coma for "two and forty hours”, The three best-selling music albums – Michael Jackson's Thriller, AC/DC's Back in Black and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon – last 42 minutes, A marathon course is 42km, Samuel Johnson compiled the Dictionary of the English Language, regarded as one of the greatest works of scholarship. In a nine-year period he defined a total of 42,777 words, The wonder horse Nijinsky was 42 months old in 1970 when he became the last horse to win the English Triple Crown: the Derby; the 2000 Guineas and the St Leger, The element molybdenum has the atomic number 42 and is also the 42nd most common element in the universe, There are 42 principles of Ma'at, the ancient Egyptian goddess – and concept – of physical and moral law, order and truth,
- 73: according to Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory- its the 21st prime number and its reverse 37 is the 12 prime number and when we multiple both is digits we get 21 that's its count in prime numbers list

btbfree
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2019, 9:52 am

Fnord wrote:
The Golden Ratio, “Phi”.

Phi = ((1 + (5^0.5)) / 2)

Fnord’s Theorem states that Phi is the only number with the following property: (Phi - 1) = (1 / Phi).

Phi = 1.618033988749892880393842...

1/Phi = 0.618033988749892880393842...

Hi Fnord,
I think Fnord's Theorem should be expanded to include Phi as well as the so called "Golden Ratio Conjugate" =
(1 - (5^0.5)) / 2 = -1 / Phi.
Best wishes!

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 4:38 pm

pi and e.

e^(i*pi) = -1