Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 12:00 am

blazingstar wrote:
AspE wrote:
Fretless Tackhead Banjo. Made it myself.

YES! Do you like it? Have you heard Rhiannon Giddens play fretless minstrel banjo? I am playing a fretted banjo...I'm afraid I will always be out of tune with fretless.

I started out playing piano and violin in grade school through half of high school. Played piano for a while with contra dance musicians, but only performed a few times. Played a little bit of Irish fiddle. I have a beautiful Yamaha upright grand that doesn't get played enough. :( And three banjos. The main one is an Eastman reproduction of the Whyte Laydie. Don't you love that name? :D

Those are nice. I have heard Rhiannon Giddens, she's incredible. If you can play fiddle, that's fretless too, so... very similar skill.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 3:36 pm

KingExplosionMurder wrote:
ukulele, but i'm teaching myself the piano and i also want to learn how to play the guitar and harp. The harp has to be my favorite instrument.

the concert [pedal] harp is the queen of all instruments. :queen:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 3:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The only instrument I play is Texas Instruments :wink:

does it make musical sounds? on the subject of transistors, you might consider picking up an Omnichord and toying around with it, you might like it a lot. :dj:

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 3:43 pm

Auntblabby, there are so many beautiful instruments: violin, marimba, harmonica .... and harp. Harp might well be the queen. I wonder if it takes as long to learn as a Sitar.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 7:55 pm

AspE wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
AspE wrote:
Fretless Tackhead Banjo. Made it myself.

YES! Do you like it? Have you heard Rhiannon Giddens play fretless minstrel banjo? I am playing a fretted banjo...I'm afraid I will always be out of tune with fretless.

I started out playing piano and violin in grade school through half of high school. Played piano for a while with contra dance musicians, but only performed a few times. Played a little bit of Irish fiddle. I have a beautiful Yamaha upright grand that doesn't get played enough. :( And three banjos. The main one is an Eastman reproduction of the Whyte Laydie. Don't you love that name? :D

Those are nice. I have heard Rhiannon Giddens, she's incredible. If you can play fiddle, that's fretless too, so... very similar skill.

I had/have trouble with hitting the notes on the violin. :oops:

RG: did you see her TED talk? Wow! And every time I hear Julie, I get goose bumps. She is one powerful woman.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 9:27 pm

Yeah, Julie. That song made me tear up. Very powerful.

Ligma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2018, 4:33 pm

guitar, bass, drums & piano/keyboard

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 10:54 pm

I play guitar and bass, program drum machines and synths, I can sing and I'm starting to get the hang of rapping.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 10:42 am

Guitar. Mainly rhythm. Mostly use an acoustic, I just love the quiet, gentle sound of it. So much emotion in an acoustic guitar.

Would love to play piano. Been looking at possibly buying a 2nd hand one sometime soon.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2018, 11:30 am

Still played occasionally: piano (began at preschool age) & alto sax (fifth grade)
Haven't played in years: soprano sax (shaped like a sax, not a straight one; seventh grade) & metal clarinet (eighth grade)
Stopped learning as a kid: ukulele (maybe sixth or seventh grade)
Misc other: recorder (fourth grade, school req) & hand chimes (fourth grade)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:13 pm

Does anyone play harmonica? I might get one as a last minute gift for someone who plays guitar, bass, sitar, percussion, sax, trumpet, keyboard, piano, etc. I just have a few questions!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:20 pm

I don't anymore, not when I've got an entire orchestra available to compose with in my sequencing software. That said, Euphonium used to be my main instrument, but I played trombone in jazz band, tuba in marching band, trumpet as a child, F. horn in the 2nd band, and picked up guitar and alto sax on my own.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does anyone play harmonica? I might get one as a last minute gift for someone who plays guitar, bass, sitar, percussion, sax, trumpet, keyboard, piano, etc. I just have a few questions!

Harmonica in Key of C? Major C? Key of G? Blues? (Oh wait you can get 12 kinds from A - G Sharp? ... ) 8O

I have no idea what any of that means!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 10:34 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Harmonica in Key of C? Major C? Key of G? Blues? (Oh wait you can get 12 kinds from A - G Sharp? ... ) 8O

There are 12 'keys' in music, a harmonica, not having moving parts to change notes, can only play in one key. So if you're playing a bunch of different songs in different keys you'll need more than one harmonica to accomplish that. If you can only get one, I'd say it depends on the music you're playing. If it's a type of music that also features a guitar then E and A are your best bet (E and A are the most common guitar chords). If it's blues get a blues one, etc.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 10:36 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

There are 12 'keys' in music, a harmonica, not having moving parts to change notes, can only play in one key. So if you're playing a bunch of different songs in different keys you'll need more than one harmonica to accomplish that. If you can only get one, I'd say it depends on the music you're playing. If it's a type of music that also features a guitar then E and A are your best bet (E and A are the most common guitar chords). If it's blues get a blues one, etc.

Thank you very much! That's extremely helpful! Yes, it would nearly always be used in conjunction with guitar and / or blues. I'll go from there and ask more questions in the shop so I don't sound totally clueless! Thanks again and happy holidays!

AltoClarinet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2018, 10:07 am

I'd like to get back into playing piano. I have a nice electric piano, but it's still at my dad's house.